Thread: Releasing my Squirrel isn't going to well

Default Releasing my Squirrel isn't going to well

So I have a roughly 20 week old Female squirrel, I love her dearly and she seems very attached to me still, wants to be held all day, still on formula (I figure it's good for her) well I am doing a soft release, moved her cage outside and make her stay outside all day and leave the door open and bring her in at night. Sometimes throughout the day.... she HATES outside HATES HATES HATES IT!!! Like she just stays by the door and tried to come in any time I let the dog out or if we have the garage door open (our door to the inside is glass) she just sits there and begs and cried to come in 😢... is this normal? It's been a week... she won't go in the trees or anything! I would love to keep her but she's chewing everything, I'm also scared during the winter she's gonna "wild up" and go crazy and then won't be used to outside... just wanted to see if this was normal... do some squirrels not wild out? I mean she was crying so hard the first day I thought she was gonna puke! I finally gave in. Any advice for my sweet girl is much appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Releasing my Squirrel isn't going to well

I would say that she isn't ready to go. That is not normal behavior. Sometimes a singleton takes a bit longer. I would bring her back in and make her cage indoors a safe place for her and to keep our belongings safe from her. Is she a gray or a fox squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I would say that she isn't ready to go. That is not normal behavior. Sometimes a singleton takes a bit longer. I would bring her back in and make her cage indoors a safe place for her and to keep our belongings safe from her. Is she a gray or a fox squirrel?

i'd have to agree...she is not wilding up yet. Is there any way you can have her in a cage indoors but also have a little tunnel to the outside, through a window or vent? I know some members have done this with 5" PVC pipe....Some have an indoor cage and an outdoor enclosure, connected by a pipe. Just an idea -- I know it's not easy to make a hole in your house. but possibly enclose a window with plywood temporarily and just have the pipe opening cut in that.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by SCapstick View Post
    So I have a roughly 20 week old Female squirrel, I love her dearly and she seems very attached to me still, wants to be held all day, still on formula (I figure it's good for her) well I am doing a soft release, moved her cage outside and make her stay outside all day and leave the door open and bring her in at night. Sometimes throughout the day.... she HATES outside HATES HATES HATES IT!!! Like she just stays by the door and tried to come in any time I let the dog out or if we have the garage door open (our door to the inside is glass) she just sits there and begs and cried to come in ��... is this normal? It's been a week... she won't go in the trees or anything! I would love to keep her but she's chewing everything, I'm also scared during the winter she's gonna "wild up" and go crazy and then won't be used to outside... just wanted to see if this was normal... do some squirrels not wild out? I mean she was crying so hard the first day I thought she was gonna puke! I finally gave in. Any advice for my sweet girl is much appreciated! Thanks!
    Can you find a rehabber who may have a squirrel of similar size? It sounds like your squirrel needs to have less human contact and more contact with her own species. Where do you live?

OK thanks! I will bring her back in, well she isn't outside all day. She comes in randomly if she had it way she would never go out lol! If I walk towards the door now with her she freaks and runs and hides upstairs in the top of my closet lol! I don't think I could send her to a rehabber... we are extremely bonded... this is my first squirrel so I don't know what's the norm but she's like a puppy. We take her everywhere and she just chills with us. She wants to be held all day... as I write this she's just laying on my shoulder and rubs her sweet little head on me and kisses me. She can be all the way upstairs in my closet and if I call her she comes running to me! And she loves to just snuggle! I just want to do what's best for her! So I will see how it goes if she never wilds up I will keep her until she's ready! Thanks guys! Just wanted to see if it was normal or not!

Is she a fox squirrel or a gray squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by SCapstick View Post
    ... well I am doing a soft release, moved her cage outside and make her stay outside all day and leave the door open and bring her in at night. Sometimes throughout the day.... she HATES outside HATES HATES HATES IT!!! Like she just stays by the door and tried to come in any time I let the dog out or if we have the garage door open (our door to the inside is glass) she just sits there and begs and cried to come in 😢... is this normal? It's been a week... she won't go in the trees or anything!
    I have done half dozen (+/-) singleton releases like this, taking the cage out during the day and back in at night. The first one I made the mistake (well, I now consider this a mistake?) of opening the door right away on day 1. She hung around for a very long time before exploring. Then I learned to leave them outside, with the cage closed for at least a week - 10 days. This gives them a week of acclimation and observation from the "safety" of their cage which seemed to make them start readily exploring when the door is finally opened.

So if the door was opened from day, maybe try a week or so with the door closed before opening her door to the world?

For what it is worth, when it is time to open the cage I found covering the cage door opening with a piece of hardware cloth, restricting the entrance the cage to only about a normal squirrel diameter of 3 inches seems to make them think of the cage as a more secure retreat (and keeps the exploring). Before I did this is a wild chased them, they would run "up" (up a tree, up a person, up the house (log house)). After, they would run into the cage for safety. With the double door Critter Nation, I attached it to the opposite door and "swung" it across the other door opening and secured with a twisted wire or two.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Is she a fox squirrel or a gray squirrel?
    She's a grey