Thread: Should I keep babies overwinter or release them before winter?

Cool Should I keep babies overwinter or release them before winter?

hello everyone! My name is Alayne and I'm new to this site. I currently have 4 baby squirrels that are 5 weeks old that I rescued last week (when they were four weeks old). My family and I are wondering if we should keep the squirrels through the winter or are we able to release them before winter? I've looked at many sites and some say to keep them through winter and others say to release them beforehand and to just feed them throughout. Our local wildlife rehab said that we can keep and raise them (they don't have enough room but we do have their numbers), but we're just highly unsure what to do about when we should release them haha. Thank you guys for all of your help! Much appreciated.

P.S. All of them are healthy baby squirrels! I stay up most of the night to make sure they're all okay with no issues. My mom thinks I'm a nut. (no pun intended)

Default Re: Should I keep babies overwinter or release them before winter?

If it were me, I would keep them over the winter and do a soft release in the spring. There are people here who can help with that when the time comes. Lots of great info on this site about soft release.

They need to have a stockpile of food and established nests before winter and they won't have time for any of that if they are released when they are technically old enough to be released.

What are you currently feeding these guys now? Post some pics, everyone here loves pictures.

to TSB!
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

Unless you live in a year round warm climate you should not release until spring. They would not have access to enough food and would have difficulties finding materials to build a drey.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara in NW MS View Post
    If it were me, I would keep them over the winter and do a soft release in the spring. There are people here who can help with that when the time comes. Lots of great info on this site about soft release.

They need to have a stockpile of food and established nests before winter and they won't have time for any of that if they are released when they are technically old enough to be released.

What are you currently feeding these guys now? Post some pics, everyone here loves pictures.

to TSB!
    Thanks! I was telling my mom that we should keep them until winter passes cause I live in NJ :/ Winters can be brutal here. :/ And I will pictures as soon as I can! I'm feeding them Esbaliac (if thats how you spell it) I feed them every four hours, but I feed the littlest (we found her three days ago) every 3.5 hours.

In your area I would overwinter them.

I was planning on it, but i just wanted to make sure haha. Thanks for all of your help guys!