Thread: Need Chipmunk Help!

FreelancePlatypus Guest

Exclamation Need Chipmunk Help!

I understand this is a squirrel forum, but I could not find anywhere else on the internet while looking for answers so I came here. I thought I'd ask around here while I wait for my states wildlife rescue place to respond to my email.

Around two hours ago my dog happened upon a chipmunk on our back porch. I saw and he did nothing, but sniff the animal. After putting my dog in the house I looked closer at the chipmunk. It seemed to be breathing at a normal rate. (which according to the internet was 75 breathes per minute though I can't be too sure on that.) However it remained curled in a light ball and had it's eyes tightly closed. It would occasionally move it's head around, but did not open it's eyes. Where it was laying is right out in the open on our cement patio.

We took a large red bucket and filled it with a towel, a bowl of bird seed, and a separate, shallow container of water. We gently transferred the chipmunk into the bucket using a fish net and have left it outside in the shade. I apologize in advance if we should not have done this. It did not move at all or protest when we scooped it up with the net. I've been checking up on it every fifteen minutes and all the chipmunk has done is curl into a ball amongst the towels. It did not move at all or protest when we scooped it up with the net.

It doesn't appear to have any external injuries and there is just a small bald patch on it's lower back. I was wondering what you may believe to be affecting the chipmunk and what course of action I should take. I am able to do whatever you feel is best for the creature.

I live in central Wisconsin in a wooded area.

Thanks.

Default Re: Need Chipmunk Help!

You've come to the right place -- chipmunks are squirrels, after all.

This poor baby is in very bad shape to be so immobile. It sounds as if it is in shock.
    First, if it's cool where you are today you want to bring the chippie (in his bucket) to a warmer spot -- maybe in the sun?-- where he is still quiet. If that's not possible you can place a screen or some type of grating over the bucket so he can't escape if he suddenly feels better, and move him onto an enclosed porch or warm garage. If you do this be VERY sure he can't escape; chippies are nearly impossible to catch when they're able to escape.

Let me check if we have any members or approved rehabbers/nature centers in your area -- BRB.

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

hi again --
    these folks in South Central WI are on my "OK" List from a previous report. Give them a call!

https://www.giveshelter.org/four-lak...fe-center.html
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

FreelancePlatypus Guest

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I live a few hours north of Madison. However there are two wildlife rehabilitation clinics in the counties just below mine. I can link you to them if you are willing to check if they are reputable. Unfortunately I am rather new to this and don't know the information all that well. I am currently located in Marathon County Wisconsin and would be able to make a trip anywhere from around 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm tomorrow. The two rehabilitation places located near me are as follows:

WOOD COUNTY
    Nicki Christianson Wisconsin Rapids 715-325-2295 or email Opossum, rodent/rabbit

PORTAGE COUNTY
    Charlotte Hensler Stonyhedge Farm, 8754 Carriage Ln., Custer 715-572-4916 or 715-592-4916 Rodent/rabbit

I'll be moving the chipmunk inside for the night. Thank you for the grate advice! (oh wow..not meant to be a pun)

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePlatypus View Post
    Thank you for the information. Unfortunately I live a few hours north of Madison. However there are two wildlife rehabilitation clinics in the counties just below mine. I can link you to them if you are willing to check if they are reputable. Unfortunately I am rather new to this and don't know the information all that well. I am currently located in Marathon County Wisconsin and would be able to make a trip anywhere from around 1:30 pm to 4:30 pm tomorrow. The two rehabilitation places located near me are as follows:

WOOD COUNTY
    Nicki Christianson Wisconsin Rapids 715-325-2295 or email Opossum, rodent/rabbit

PORTAGE COUNTY
    Charlotte Hensler Stonyhedge Farm, 8754 Carriage Ln., Custer 715-572-4916 or 715-592-4916 Rodent/rabbit

I'll be moving the chipmunk inside for the night. Thank you for the grate advice! (oh wow..not meant to be a pun)

Thank you again!
    haha -- I've had many people removing a shelf from inside their oven to cover a makeshift squirrel container
    I'm not familiar with either of those names...best I can do is put the word out on FB since I have rehabber friends there. TSB doesn't have any other Wisconsin names, unfortunately.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.