Thread: Blind Juvie?

Threaded View

Question Blind Juvie?

I have one female grey squirrel with some bizarre behavior that I'm looking for feedback on. She's approximately 150 grams, fully furred 'teenager' at this point. Her eyes do not open all the way though. They're always kind of squinted. At the corners of the eye BOTH corners, she has more 'whites' than we would normally see on a grey squirrel. She gets around okay in the cage, finds food, but doesn't act 'normal'. She's very scared all of the time, and she isn't gaining weight as quickly as her litter mates. I believe that she is blind. She doesn't respond visually the way that she should, but I can't decide if she's mentally not there or if it just her eyes. Everything about her is just off. She's 'slow' about everything she does, except that when she wants to hide from us she knows how to be quick and doesn't want to be handled. This is a baby that should be VERY used to handling by now. Her litter mates are super-friendly. She loves formula, and eats well, but doesn't seem to eat nuts and veg well. Is it because she has trouble finding nuts with no vision, or is she just brain damaged in some way? I don't know. Here are photos of her eyes. I'm open to ideas.

(One photo taken with flash is a bad photo, but shows her eyes better IMO)
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Angel Wintrode, angel@wildlifehotline.com
    Bi-State Wildlife Hotline - Toll Free – 1-855-WILD-HELP
    Visit us online @ http://www.wildlifehotline.com or Call us 24 / 7
    Visit Us on FaceBook or Twitter @WildlifeHotline