Thread: Cat Dog Squirrel Release

Threaded View

Default Cat Dog Squirrel Release

I learned a little late that having dog and cats around squirrels you intend to release a little late. The justification was sound at the time, which was to ensure the Squirrels survival in a house with 5 cats and 2 dogs.

The following takes place in my Master Bedroom, where 3 dogs and 1 cat have access.

To modify the situation for long term, I ended direct contact between the species. The Lab and Chihuahua pay no attention to the Squirrel (that will change one she is jetting around because she will look like a play toy), the German Shepherd (Sam) is intensely stressed she can not mother the squirrel, but she is now commanded to keep her distance. However she is constantly coming over whenever the squirrel makes any noise.

The change with the Shepherds is paying off, because I now notice Girl Squirrel getting stressed (shaking) when the Sam comes forward. Maybe it is because I am using a base tone to tell her to leave, or it may even been the trumatic memory of a huge tongue stroking Girl Squirrel and a wet nose nudging her. Who knows, but I am happy she is tensing up.

The CAT which is actually still a kitten (LeeLoo is 10 mons) is a gift from my husband who does not like cats. The other cats belong to my adult children, and not a factor or concern.

Now I have also actively kept the cat away from Girl Squirrel, and except few pray crawls I have discouraged any type of bond. However, I notice Girl Squirrel does not show any fear at the times LeeLoo does do her pray crawls, or even sits at a medium distance, purrs and stares intensely at her. Now the other day I came in and the Leeloos' paw was literally stuck in one of the holes, and Girl Squirrel was playing the paw. Leeloo of course was not happy and she actually injured her leg.

Sigh!

Girl Squirrel is now 7 weeks old. Which means I have approximately 9 weeks to teach Girl Squirrel that cats and dogs are not in her best interest. I have even started making animated movements which ends with her being covered by my body while I attempt to remove Sam or LeeLoo out of viewing. Dont laugh but I am even trying to record the sound Squirrel warning sounds instead of my animation of protection.

Girl Squirrel still rely's on milk and is next to my bed secured in a large tote. I have been introducing to different foods for a while now, and practicing with her to sit up and eat. Unfortunately she hasnt grasped that concept yet. And meanwhile, I have been making her a secure out door enclosure that will go on our wrap around porch and finally lead to a grouping of trees I hope to be her home.

With all that being said, has anyone successfully raise a squirrel to release with a household of pets and family members? Is so could you please give me realistic tips to help.

Updated Photos: https://goo.gl/photos/3EhZpeN4DfkQGyqb6
    Squirrel Regards
    Defender of Girl Squirrel the Adventurer
    Daily Photos https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to awolf from:

Shewhosweptforest (04-15-2017)