Thread: How do squirrels build their nest?

Default How do squirrels build their nest?

Okay, simple question asked to me by someone. U would think after 9 years of rehabbing that I would know it. OR.. am I overthinking it? I would assume they strategically arrange the sticks and leaves to form the nest. And they seem to build nests in secure limbs. I mean, do they use mud or anything to stick it together like some birds do? I feel like an idiot.. but I GOTTA KNOW!!

My brother noticed that they seem to steal each others nests too. Or are the Colorado squirrels just plain RUDE? lol

Any info would be appreciated. Couldnt find the answer on the web

Halo

Default Re: How do squirrels build their nest?

i'm pretty sure it's mostly leaves, with some carefully placed sticks. they might use muddy or wet leaves to stick things together, but it would have to dry before they have babies (a wet baby is a cold baby).

some interesting facts, fyi;

females actually build several nests, so if the main nest is disturbed, they have a safe place to relocate their babies to.

males and females only nest together in the winter; females kick the males out once it warms up and females are pregnant.

squirrels don't sleep on top of the nest; they actually sleep in the center of the mass of leaves, keeping them safe from predators and weather. the create two exits to the nest in case one gets blocked off.

fun, huh?
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Smile Re: How do squirrels build their nest?

Very interesting. Thanks for the info
    It is a gift from God to love and be loved by a squirrel.

I was blessed to have known such love for 5 1/2 years. Sammy T, I love you and miss you so much. Part of my heart went with you when you left and it will not be complete again until we are together in heaven. I can't wait to see you at Rainbow Bridge.

Gabe Guest

GB, aren't they just amazing?

that was definately interesting. I always wondered how they could stay secure in a bunch of loose leaves of a nest. But that makes sense that it would be harder, like a birds nest on the inside... very very interesting!

Also, I did not know that the females make multiple nests for an emergency
    with her babies. I always felt sorry for the mothers who after their nests got destroyed by tree trimmers and such that they didnt have any place to go. Now I can rest assured. Amazing indeed!

Ahhh... squirrels are so evolved. I mean kicking the male out of the house after he does his duty of keeping them warm in the winter = PRICELESS

Thanks for the tips.

Halo

primo Guest

Hey all... I am new here to the squirrel board & this is my first post/reply but I cut & trim trees & we find empty nest in the trees all the time most are huge balls of leaves with sticks from the branch growing through it they are most always fresh leaves with afew dried dead leaves in the center for warmth & what ever the squirrel my find like pieces of carpet fiber, cotton, chewed up paper & plastic & anything else they my find....

when the squirrels nest in palm trees its alot different they use the fibers of the palm & make balls between the ferns steams up by the tree they almost look like brown cotton balls with a small hole in it

weather they nest in a palm or in oaks or pines from what I've seen most the time they will keep rebuilding there nest in the same spot every few days but some males or females will only nest in these spots untill the leaves turn brown & then they will move on & build some where else I guess for food or a mate

when they nest for babies they look for holes in trees or they will chew holes into your house in your attics or garage or they will reinforce there nest in the trees so that it is thicker & more water proof & larger & will resist wind better

some times but not always squirrels will nest in the same tree that they were raised in if the area is good with a good food source & water

primo Guest

we look for nest when trimming the trees we have the climber remove the babies from the nest if there is any befor removing the limb or we rope down the limb slowly.... I have had babies in holes in logs & the little flyer I have now was lucky to of missed the chain saw after cutting a long in 2 to move it

I seen alot of moss in the hollowed log so something told me to check for baby greys & there he was a little flyer eyes closed they opened the first day or so I had him & in the other half was another baby so I had 2 but 1 had pasted in the night from a cold or allergies to the goats milk after the second day

I love squirrels so I hand raise them for release we raise all that we find I've had a ton of different birds no raccoons yet and a ton of squirrels I had 5 baby greys from 2 liters but they were the same age or if I have room I'll keep them as a pet like the flyer I have now I call him little squirrel he listens when we call him that but he would never make it on his own he thinks hes more human then squirrel he sleeps in a Crown Royal bag that hangs in this cage

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

A guy who knows his nests!
    Thank you for checking for squirrels in the trees,that is how alot of us get our furballs! Wish all trimmers were as cautious

Quote Originally Posted by primo
    he thinks hes more human then squirrel he sleeps in a Crown Royal bag that hangs in this cage
    My kinda squirrel !!!!!!

It's very interesting the way you described the nests you have found. Via first hand experience.
    It's good that you raise the babies you find. I'v seen and heard the horror stories about the ones that get tossed away.....very sad.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

primo Guest

I worked with a tree company in Tampa Fl I live in Orlando now but I had 3 babies fall over 80ft from a palm tree while it was being trimmed & the nest was so thick from palm fibers it didnt even wake them up they were just at the point of there skin not being pink anymore & the fur was just coming in I gave them a 50/50 mix of goats milk & whipped cream & they grew so fast that it became hard to feed them because there was 3 but they like going to work with me & they stayed in a backpack untill they could chew the zipper off I let them out 1 day & climbed a tree & they followed me up it I fed them while I was in the tree left them & I came down a minute or so later they followed me down

but some lady high up in the company came by during lunch & she seen me feeding them she took some picture & a week later I was told I would be getting a pay raise

I worked with a tree company in Tampa Fl I live in Orlando now but I had 3 babies fall over 80ft from a palm tree while it was being trimmed & the nest was so thick from palm fibers it didnt even wake them up they were just at the point of there skin not being pink anymore & the fur was just coming in I gave them a 50/50 mix of goats milk & whipped cream & they grew so fast that it became hard to feed them because there was 3 but they like going to work with me & they stayed in a backpack untill they could chew the zipper off I let them out 1 day & climbed a tree & they followed me up it I fed them while I was in the tree left them & I came down a minute or so later they followed me down

but some lady high up in the company came by during lunch & she seen me feeding them she took some picture & a week later I was told I would be getting a pay raise
    Sorry for the pay raise loss....but it's a small price to pay for saving lives.
    FYI.....esbilac is the best formula for the new babies. The goats milk & whipping cream will cause them insuficent growth and poor health. I know you didn't save them just to have them die from MBD.

Get the Esbilac..puppy milk replace at a pet store nearest you. Fast!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Karma $$

Came home one day to find rusty pipe standing upright on my deck,??????????7 inch diameter,and about 3 ft high, and that is how I attained Harvey and Henry Pipe, "THE PIPE BROS." Due for release anyday!
    Local Trimmers customer asks him to remove pipe from 2nd story roof, after cutting with chainsaw, kick/rolling it to the ground, throwing in trailer, only then to hear babies, eyes still closed, can you imagine?! Now their mom was good! She had the usual leaves and twigs and what looked to be the guts to someones patio cushion, they were way in he bottom,not a scatch! Yep they'll use anything!

Nice guy! - keep up the good work! Saving them squirrels

primo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel

Sorry for the pay raise loss....but it's a small price to pay for saving lives.
    FYI.....esbilac is the best formula for the new babies. The goats milk & whipping cream will cause them insuficent growth and poor health. I know you didn't save them just to have them die from MBD.

Get the Esbilac..puppy milk replace at a pet store nearest you. Fast!!!!

Yeah sorry I wasnt in more detail I use the puppy replacement Esbilac but if you read the side of the can it says powdered goats milk.... so.. goats milk & I have an old lady rehabber here in my area & shes been doing this for over 20 years shes the 1 who told me the mix & its worked fine they were fat little squirrel & grew very fast but they were grey squirrels so that may make some difference I wouldnt give it to my flyer he got the goat milk & instead of the water i used pedialyte when I made it because I dont like my water here boiled or not & I have a baby girl so I already had pedialyte for her & if you read that bottle it says you should trash it after 48 hours so.... I used it for my squirrels....

I'll make a post later to get out of this 1 & I'll have some pics of my flyer & my new grey.... & I'll post up most the info I know & have learned about squirrels

but Thank you everyone & Hi to All..... I really like this place I havent stopped reading to make a post of my own yet