Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new lewis help needed

ravenlaws32 Guest

Default new lewis help needed

lewis today has had 2 seizures. and he has some type of rash on him specially behind his ears. i have included 2 pictures .its crusty and kinda yellowish. maybe a yeast infection ?"? anyone here seen this before on their squirrels ???

thank rl
    Last edited by ravenlaws32; 02-19-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Default Re: new lewis help needed

Hi RL...I am sorry Lewis is not feeling well today. I have never seen that type of condition on a squirrel before and the only thing I'm finding in my various rehab textbooks are discussions about mange -- demodectic and sarcoptic. Ivermectin seems to be the treatment preferred for this but is not recommended in squirrels with nervous system disorders. One book does suggest warm water and a keratolytic shampoo when Ivermectin is not an option. I am hoping that Chris or another experienced rehabber may have better info for you.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

BuckeyeSqrl Guest

Is Lewis any any calcium supplements? I would try to get ahold of Calciquid (?SP). My experience with seizures has been calcium-related.

I'm not about the rash other than what Island had to say.

I would try to get him to a vet ASAP.

Keep us posted!

I leave the diagnosis up to the veteran rehabbers but as I recall there has been some discussion as to whether Lewis's current condition is from a fall or his having MDB. And if I'm not wrong, aren't seizures a symptom of MDB?
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

Poor Lewis - he is fighting so hard, and keeps running into roadblocks! I would take him back to the vet, if he was mine. They can give meds to control the seizures. Also, although you have probably already done this, have him checked for worms.

Could the places behind his ears possibly be caused by lice? How bout ear mites - they can cause an awful lot of problems in dogs, I know. (But I have no idea whether or not squirrels get ear mites.)

There are so many people on here that know a whole lot more than I do about rehabbing - I'm just learning, and spend most of my time with one of many rehab books open, trying to learn. I raised and showed dogs for many years, so I seem to automatically think of problems I have seen in dogs when I am dealing with wildlife, as well as the expected wildlife problems.

Good luck, Lewis - hang in there! Dusty, my paralized grey, sends a big 'thumbs up' to you, and says to tell you that life without the use of your back legs isn't all that bad - you get lots of extra spoiling!!

muffinsquirrel

Squirlgirl is offline Licensed Rehabilitator, The Squirrel Board

I agree that Lewis needs to see a vet...asap. I'm sure by now, he has a super great diet. Seizures can be controlled with medication. As far as his skin issue, also needs a vet's eyes and experience and ability to take a scraping if needed. I wish that I could be of more help, but since Lewis has more than one issue, its best that a vet see him and take care of it quickly...rather than all of us guessing possibilities. Please let us know the outcome...Lewis is such a cutie and a fighter!!

ravenlaws32 Guest

well today i had to amke a appointment for wednesday grrr .because of the holiday. go figure. he is not scratching or messing with rash but it looks worse today then any day .i will just have to wait til to see what vet says then . he is only one here within 100 miles who mess with ALL animals but i will update to what doc says . i have rehabbed quite a few squirrels and this is another first for me . ive never had any with skin problems . i did pick up a full spectrum light finally from bed bath and beyond today. i won one on ebay 2 weeks and the seller scammed us go figure. so he is now getting that light as well as some natural sunlight . he has not had another seizure which is very good but i will see what doc says about that also . lewis is a handful but we are fighting with all we got . he plays and rolls around so much .he has really touched us ,but i do hope we can get these problems taken care of . to me it really looks like yeast infection .yellow and crusty like caluiflower looking. but we shall see. thanks for all the prayers. ttyl

GhosTS Guest

Looks like mange to me.Sparks has a similar issue not behind the ears, but behind his legs.The vet said its mange.But I have to hold off the medication till he gets a bit bigger.Take him to a vet.He'll know what to do.With lewis's condition I dont think the vet will use Ivermectine.He might give some antibiotic/antifungal cream to supress the secondary infections.

Ravenslaw, how is Lewis today? I've been thinking of him and saying a few prayers for things to go well.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

ravenlaws32 Guest

today he is better . behind his ears still crusty , and base of tail still crusty. honestly it looks yellow .it looks like parmesean cheese if yo usprinkled it in bowl. he goes to doc tomorrow hopefully. around here its hard to get in quickly. i will update tomorrow what i find out and what they do for him. i did give him a semi soft bath today and he actually liked it lol. i think the bath made his skin feel better. thanks for all the prayers.*** update coming tomorrow afternoon ***

I am glad that he is happy today!!! He is so adorable!!! Can't wait for the update!!! Thanks...and Happy 4th!!! smooch to Lewis!!!

My very first squirrel that I hand raised would periodically have little seizures and would actually even at tmes appear as if he had died on me...he would become stiff as a board and not move at all.The first time it happenned I thought he had died and probably would have buried him but i saw his eyes move.I started giving him a few drops of Karro Syrup throughout the day and warmed him slowly using a heated rice pack.By the time I had gotten him to the vet he was back to normal and the dr said to me"Good thinking Cheryl.You saved this little guy's life.He was hypoglycemic" As he grew I would give him small drops of Karro Syrup on his tongue until I released him.He outgrew this condition.Good luck with your baby. Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by FosterMom
    My very first squirrel that I hand raised would periodically have little seizures and would actually even at tmes appear as if he had died on me...he would become stiff as a board and not move at all.The first time it happenned I thought he had died and probably would have buried him but i saw his eyes move.I started giving him a few drops of Karro Syrup throughout the day and warmed him slowly using a heated rice pack.By the time I had gotten him to the vet he was back to normal and the dr said to me"Good thinking Cheryl.You saved this little guy's life.He was hypoglycemic" As he grew I would give him small drops of Karro Syrup on his tongue until I released him.He outgrew this condition.Good luck with your baby. Cheryl
    GREAT info, FosterMom....hypoglycemia is something I always seem to forget about, and yet it's so easily remedied with the Karo or even honey. Thanks for reminding us.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

ravenlaws32 Guest

*****UPDATE*****

we are back from vet / with lewis . he behaved nicely . no biting or nothing. he had a skin culture done and fungal culture ,skin scraping ,and had to have injection .it states on bill sarcoptic-mange -ivermectin . he noticed under microscope mites . so we have a prescribed tresderm 15 ml creme to rub on . he has to go back in 2 weeks for another shot.he did state possible to transmit to humans or other pets but we have been careful and lewis has had his own room forever. plus we use alot of wipes and what not ,so i think we are ok . the other pets are not allowed in room . we spoke about the seizure he had had .but things today checked out ,and he di not think the injections would hurt him . we had to try something. the culture they took he said it will take 2 ot 3 weeks to get back. so i will keep informed. he said doesnt look like mange or yeast but agian the mite were present on the scraping. it was expensive but the vet is kinda a friend and loves animals and donates to every humane shelter around so he gave me alot off the bill. thanks to all the squirrel board for care and prayers . we can never say so much it means to be around folks who love animals as we do . lewis did not like the shot but acted like a fine gentleman. dr myres truly is a godsend in the vet world. its not all bout money -its for the love of animals.

i will keep updated. lewis is now in his recleaned and sanitized home and taking a deserved nap . xoxoxoxoxoxoxo to all of you . i have to stop typing or i will cry .

Glad to hear that all went well!!! You are VERY lucky to have such a wonderful vet...Thank You, Dr. Myers!! Thank you Ravenslaw for doing the right thing for Lewis!!! Did the vet have any idea what is causing Lewis' seizures? I can hear Lewis snoring from here...ZZZZZZZ!!!!! I guess that IS a VERY well deserved nap! What a good Boy, to not injure the vet...hehehehe! I was thinking about his vet visit all day...Thanks for the update!!! Now its time for your well deserved nap!!!! AGAIN!!!

Yeeah for Lewis....
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

ravenlaws32 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Squirlgirl
    Glad to hear that all went well!!! You are VERY lucky to have such a wonderful vet...Thank You, Dr. Myers!! Thank you Ravenslaw for doing the right thing for Lewis!!! Did the vet have any idea what is causing Lewis' seizures? I can hear Lewis snoring from here...ZZZZZZZ!!!!! I guess that IS a VERY well deserved nap! What a good Boy, to not injure the vet...hehehehe! I was thinking about his vet visit all day...Thanks for the update!!! Now its time for your well deserved nap!!!! AGAIN!!!

he said the seizures were not caused by his back injury. we still dont know why he is having them . he is geeting prime,cuddle,and we bought full spectrum lighting as of 3 days ago and gets natural sunlight when possible so we dont know . we have not witnessed any since the last one day or so ago so hopefully he wont have anymore. he really did not like the cream to put on the spots lol , he talked back alot and mehhhhhed but he is ok for now which day to day is all we can hope for in life. we never know ,live each day as it was your last. the vet really did help out alot he cut over 150 $ off bill. the main cost was the culture and labwork. he just cut that out completely.lewis sends big love to all of you for your prayers and thoughts . this is pic of him breaking into his nutshell. he is still in a big aquarium with lots of toys. this was him few minutes ago . the bottom pic is of lewis linens lol he has his own rack . the cage under rack is what he was in before injury. we are giving him plenty of time before caging again , plus we are in the process of building him a custom home with ramps and plexiglass windows with the use of more wood and less wire hopefully. we are still desigining and nitpicking on it .
    Last edited by ravenlaws32; 02-19-2007 at 04:01 PM.

I am so happy for Lewis and his vet visit, please thank the vet from all of us on TSB, it is hard to find doctors of any kind that still believe in what they do and not the dollar they are collecting. Give Lewis and yourself a hug, you are both terrific Keep us posted on his progress
    It is great to see real genuine people still exist in this sometimes horrible world we live in.

GhosTS Guest

Great to hear about your visit to the vet Ravenlaws.I hope everything will get better.As for the seizures.I hope they will be gone.But the hypoglycemic seizures Fostermom pointed out is a good point.Keep up the good work.

BuckeyeSqrl Guest

Great news! Lewis is a fighter and you are a great Mom!! Keep us posted on his progress!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.