Thread: my little pinkie boy has a sore "Do - Da!!!"

Default my little pinkie boy has a sore "Do - Da!!!"

oi suspect he has been trying to suckle on it as if like a pacifier but it looks bruised now...he is 7plus days old....i am wondering whether or not to put either petroleum jelly(Vaseline) on or some Flamazine cream which is very gentle and actually has silver sulfadiazine in to help speed healing, i also have Cavilon barrier spray but don't really want to start putting anything too strong on his young pink bare baby skin at this stage what would any of you more experienced with "boy" babies think???...(i usually end up with little girls for sum reason) any ideas????
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

Default Re: my little pinkie boy has a sore "Do - Da!!!"

Lisa I would try not to put anything on it unless it is really bad, since he is so young and we don't know what ingesting even silvadene (a miracle cream) might do to him. Can you try to feed him more frequently? He is less likely to go looking for something to suck on if he's never allowed to get overly hungry. You should clean him with a warm soft cloth to make sure there is no scabbing; otherwise he won't be able to pee properly and then real problems begin.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Just for my 2-cents....That is a common problem with baby male squirrels!
    Sometimes it does help to feed more often. I have had some real "problem children" where I have had to try so many things when the common solutions didn't work! Once I had to put a little cone around it's neck to keep him from reaching his pacifier! Even tried a little diaper covering that I changed after each pee! It can get very serious if left unattended. Infections and inability to pee.
    I am sure you will get lot's of good advice here
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

Ahhh...!!! oh Ta very much for your much appreciated support.
    Lisa.xxx (aka.ljhpsauce) SquirrelOnMyShoulder.com (Wildlife/Squirrel Rescue & Rehab) in Manchester.UK.:Thankyou. XXX

I am sorry your little boy is having problems with is winky. Maybe you can try the sock method. Cut the top part of the sock...the part that goes around your ankle....a 3 inch thick band to put around his private parts for now. You may have to use a childs sock depending on his size or a tennis sweat band for the wrist...what ever fits.
    Just something to keep him from his winky...of course the feedings closer together may work....he just need time to break the bad habit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!