Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Treating mange in the wild

Default Re: Treating mange in the wild

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Corps
    jlm27 - that looks like the many many pics of mange that I have seen.

Also: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...d.php?p=169288

Lastly - have you given the second dose yet??
    I thought I should not give the second dose for 10 - 12 days. THat wouldn't be until next weekend, right? Anyway, I'm leaving in an hour for Atlanta, so I can't do it until next weekend.

Also, Pookie Pie has had a bad left eye since she was little. It gets better, then it gets watery and puffy. Then it gets better again. That is, the condition predates any obvious mange. Most of her mange spots look better and little fuzzy fur is growing in. She is still bald under her right arm though, but it doesn't look sore.

Speigle Guest

Hi

I was so thankful to find the squirrel board.

We have a squirrel with mange in our back yard. We buy large bags of raw peanut and feed them every day. At first my husband called him the old man because we thought he was just old. He started looking worse and I thought he might have mange. I saw your comments about the Ivermectin so we got some. We cracked a peanut shell on one end and I put some on the peanut inside with a tooth pick. We gave this to the squirrel 3 days in a row. On the last day which was yesterday I gave him two medicated peanuts.

Today he is starting to look better. He looked just terrible. His fir was almost gone and he had a swollen eye and lump on his nose. The eye looks much better today and his skin is not so red except that he has some very sore looking spots.

Do you have any suggestions? Also is there something that I can give him to help his skin heal faster?

Thank you so much!

OH!! Only give one application, (the size of a pin drop)then two weeks later you can give another.
    3 days in a row could be deadly! Ivermectin is very potent.
    Put it on a pecan or wallnut, rather than a peanut, its more easily controlled what amount he will eat.
    It just takes time for the skin to heal, nothing really you can do put out pleanty of fresh water they drink a lot with mange.
    Please keep us updated on your guy, thanks for caring enough to help the fellow.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Speigle Guest

I sure hope I haven't overdosed. I was desperate and didn't know where to get answers. I was sure he wasn't going to make it if I didn't do something. We used the white cream Ivermectin that is used for horses and just a small spot on a peanut. Is this the same Ivermectin that everyone is using. I will post a picture as soon as I can.

Little old man is still doing well.

No that is even more potent that the Ivermectin we use.
    The one I recomend is from Chris's squirrel store.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Speigle Guest

My little old man is doing much better. Bouncing all over the back yard and is getting his hair back. I have another on who has it just on the top of his head. We have given him some of the medication.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Speigle Guest

I need help posting pictures. They're too big.

Thank you!!!!!

Apple Corps Guest

Speigle - have you received the info you needed?

You should see improvement w/i a week.

Would you please tell us EXACTLY what is on the tube? We can help better with more info on what you are giving him.

Thank you so much for helping this lil fuzzer - he has to be suffering.

Laura22 Guest

I have a wild squirrel in the backyard in the suburbs of Toronto, who I think may be suffering from mange. He is a friendly squirrel and will come sit on my lap etc. He disappeared for awhile this winter, and when he came back he had a slight limp. He was also having trouble opening hard nuts (almonds, walnuts).This was a few weeks ago and the limp seems to have disappeared, but now he seems to have lost the fur on his head. It also looks like it has scabbed. I have attached a photo. Is this what mange looks like, or is it possible that he got in a fight? If he does have mange, what should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

lockout Guest

Just want to confirm that ivermectin in horse dewormer is okay for treating mange?
    I read online that a dosage about the size of a half-grain of rice is suitable for an average guy, followed up a couple of weeks later with another.
    Its the only source of Ivermectin that seems readily available in Toronto. I found a horse supply place that will sell a tube for $21.00, and online, some single- use (for horses) tubes of apple flavored goo available on ebay for about $5.00.
    (Finding someone who will ship to Canada is the next step.)
    Vets won't perscribe without seeing the animal.
    Regards
    Paul

Hi Paul:
    Hang on a second ok! I'm not a rehabber and I know that Ivermectin is a strong medicine.
    I'm a slow typer so bare with me please and I'll try to be right back.

Hi, I’m trying to see if a rehabber is online to help you with dosing. I assume you want to treat a wild squirrel, like a grey?

If that is true, (I have used a liquid form From Chris’s Squirrels & More and it’s like the size of a pin drop—Chris is also is a rehabber and can advise about the proper dose as well), but is all depends upon the strength, do you know the strength of the horse dewormer?

Hmmm, we have other Canadian members as well. Do you have a picture of the guy you want to treat, always helps the rehabbers
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

lockout Guest

I saw that source in an earler post, but he charges 36.00 for a bottle, and I don't know how much to ship because his toll free number won't work up here, and has also had some problems - outside of his control - with international shipments.
    The ebay sellers have products in the 1.87 percent range, and as I said, under ten bucks shipped, which is less of a hit if customs confiscates it.
    The horse dewormer is also available sort-of locally, if I take a long drive out to the boonies.
    I'll try and take a pic of my guy when he comes around for his dinner seating.

He's a grey. (Black actually.) 99 percent of Toronto squirels are black, which always surprises American visitors, but supposedly the same species, from what I understand.

Lockout—
    Yes, the % is very important about treating with ivermectin. I can’t find my bottle at the moment to know the percentage. If you could hang tight or pop back in later this afternoon (that would be better because I have to step out for a bit), I will do some research myself or try to find someone who can provide that direction to you. Is that OK with you? Wow—I don’t have any black squirrels, pretty neat. I'll be back later, OK, I promise, so please check back with me, OK.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Lockout—
    Ok—here’s what I’ve come up with. I’m not a rehabber, so what I’m telling you is based on my experience and what I’ve read here, OK! In my situation, I used 1% liquid solution and put the size of a pin—head onto a nut and dosed the sick squirrel, then about 14 days later I did the same.

I see that your strength is a bit higher that what I’ve used, so perhaps a bit less is required, not sure.

This is the best thread about the dosing that I could find so far.

The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed > Mange in South Dakota

Check out Post # 26 on page 2

As you will see we have a member Ontario Rehabber, who posted in that thread and may be in your area and you always send a PM to get detailed dosing.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

dollsized Guest

Question Re: Treating mange in the wild

Hi guys. Joined this site so I can get some advice on a squirrel that I suspect has mange.

This is a grey squirrel that's been visiting my fire escape for the last week or so. I always leave out leftover bread, crackers or other foods the birds might be interested in, and recently this little guy has been coming by and eating it.

No complaints, because he comes by and sunbathes too, haha. But I noticed he's always scratching himself a lot, and upon further examination of his fur up-close, it looks like something is wrong.

Picture 1
    Picture 2

Where the fur is missing, the skin looks very dry.

If this is indeed mange, would this be the proper medicine I can buy for him?

Dollsized—Hi! Welcome to The Squirrel Board. I am Not a rehabber, I did see your pictures and they appear to me a squirrel watcher as mange. Yes Chris’s Squirrel’s & More is an Excellent Source, but I’m not sure if that is the right product. I would like to suggest that you call their phone and get the correct Ivermectin. I believe Chris is also a rehabber, so explain that you want the product for a squirrel and the dosing. She is super nice and extremely helpful. It is a VERY SMALL AMOUNT, like a pin drop or something and the second dose within 14-21 days. I’m sure a TSB rehabber will be here soon to help, but wanted to get you started in the meantime.
    Good luck and let us know how your friend is doing.

—E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

www.henryspets.com sells Ivermectin tablets that I personally used to treat my wilds with success.
    You crush one tablet, dissolve it in the tiniest amount of water (just enough to make sort of a mushy crushed tablet, but not running), then, mix it in a bit of nut butter and put that mixture on a piece of bread. Repeat once a week for 3 weeks, make sure that it is exactly one week, neither less no more (e.g., if you start on Monday, the next dose should be next MOnday, not Sunday or Sat).
    You could also put the crushed mushy tablet on a piece of nut, but I find that mixing it with nut butter (not too much, but just enough to hold the crushed tablet) and putting it on a piece of bread works better. First, because stuff tends to run or fall of a piece of nut. And second, because wild squirrels (to my surprise) tend to go for the nut, not the butter (they may end up discarding the butter and eat just the nut).

You could also get ivermectin paste (for horses) - at tractor supply stores, or horse supply stores. Can be called Panomec, Bimectin.
    I know ppl who successfully used it:

When you get the paste, squeeze the entire contents into a plastic container and mix it well (because sometimes, the liquid part of it tends to separate inside the tube).
    Put a dose the size of an uncooked rice grain on a nut and give it to the squirrel. Again, repeat once a week for three weeks.

I also know some people who do not squeeze the contents of the tube, and do it differently. But the squeezing method above works.

Hope, this helps.

Mara Guest

Hi all. I have a chipmunk with mange on its tail. Can you buy the inver stuff at the pet store? F notncan someone tell me where and how to use it. Thanks!!!

No, it is used to treat horses and most places like Petco don't have horse stuff. A farm store, Tractor Supply, or any place that sells riding stuff should have the 1.87% ivermectin. You can also order it online from Tractorsupply.com.

You will see reference in this thread to a little bit the size of a grain of dry rice, which is a very tiny bit. You would use LESS THAN HALF of that for a chipmunk. It is dosed at 7 day intervals, so if you dosed today, you would do it again next Monday and again the following Monday. It does not kill eggs, so this is timed to allow hatching but no egg laying so you get all of them.

Just to repeat, you want the tube of 1.87% Ivermectin paste. Use just enough to fill this "O". Ivermectin is very toxic so it is better to give too little compared with the danger of giving too much.

Give this amount on a nut treat and then repeat in 7-10 days. Finally, you can repeat a third and final time in an additional 7-10 days.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2