Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Treating mange in the wild

Vandercook Guest

Default Treating mange in the wild

I'm curious about mange in the "wild", here in our neighbourhood of Toronto, Canada. We have many many black and grey squirrels affected. Is it possible as people who feed a few squirrels off the porch to help the little guys?
    Is it ethical? Helpful? We really enjoy the wild squirrels, birds and other fauna inhabiting our part of the city.

Default Re: Treating mange in the wild

vandercook, I agree with Gammas Baby you can successfully treat mange in wild squirrels with ivermectin. It can be given on a pecan or walnut and the squirrels seem to not mind the taste. Ivermectin does come in many strengths and forms so let us know what you have available and we can help you with dosage. BTW -- the pill or tablet form does not seem to work very well for mange. Liquid is the best.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

Vandercook Guest

Thanks for the response. We will try to get some photographs of our squirrels to show what we think is mange. One black squirrel is missing an ear, it appears to have been scratched or rubbed off. There is a balding patch extending down behind his left ear, that looks like it's been chewed or nibbled. The little gray squirrel is developing baldness behind the head on his "shoulders" or the nape of his neck. I definitely will not proceed with any treatment without discussing it here. I am delighted to have joined this board! What a help. Thanks again. Will post here soon, tomorrow if I get a shot of the little guys. Thanks.

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/inde...roduct_id=1561
    Ivermectin can be purchased here and one of the rehabbers can pm you with instructions how to dose it!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rippie-n-lilgirlsmom from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

Vandercook Guest

Thanks for the link to the medication. Here is a photo of the black squirrel with the affected area showing. The ear closest, looks like it's missing from any other angle. It's more or less stuck down.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21534012@N03/2294414653/

HI and , You could PM squirrelfriend she lives in Toronto and has treated several squirrels with mange. It's just a thought. Good luck finding help. Thank you for taking the time to care.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pamela lee from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

PM me your phone # and I will call you.

How is the squirrels over all health other than the apperance of mange?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfriend from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

It is difficult to tell from the photo. Squirrels do shed in this type of pattern. The ear part sounds like p[ossible mange. How is the skn around the eyes? The skin on the back bald part, is it crusty looking or normal looking smooth skin? Can you see scabs anywhere? If so where? Lots of scratching?

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfriend from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

here are some sample pics of what mange loos like. Mange can cause the "calliflower ear" look. Tilty has that too. It is caused by all the scratching. Long term scratching causes a lot of scarring and the ear ends up permanently misshapen. It does not harm the hearing unless there is an infection.

I got Tilty a year ago. He is doing fine now. WHen I got him he couldn't even stand up. Now he has a little hop in his step when he runs around. You can read about him in the Grey squirrel forum under the title Mr. Tilty.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfriend from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

note the crustiness of the skin in the photos above.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelfriend from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

That is mange, I did pm him instructions last night and he will let me know when he gets the meds.
    Squirrel friend that would be good if you could contact him.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rippie-n-lilgirlsmom from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

We have several wilds with mange here also; one case in much worse than the others. I checked out the link that Rippie provided (thanks, Rippie!) and see that it's inexpensive. Is it hard to figure out the dosage for a tiny animal like a squirrel? I see that cattle are mentioned; isn't there a weaker solution available for smaller animals? Also, how long of a shelf life does Ivermectin have and does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks in advance....
    Then they look at you and you feel that "connection", so pure and elemental....

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelly from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

Squirrelly if you get that ivermectin (try to get a syringe with a needle for better control) and I will tell you exactly how to dose it...very easy and no your not going to be giving an injection. (it dosent need to be kept cold).
    Those babies need help!
    Also dont worry about what it says for cattle this is the same thing I treat mine with.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rippie-n-lilgirlsmom from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

Sciurus1 Guest

My friend in Minnesota has seem some with mange in the last two years. Her local Vet gives her the medication free to treat the ones in her yard. She puts it into small mini crunchy peanut butter sandwiches, which she then offers to the ones who have this disease. It seems to work pretty good she says.

I have given 5 squirrels with mange their first dose of Ivermectin. Is it routine to give them all a second dose (in 10-14 days)? So far, they all look about the same (not worse) as before the treatment. (It's been just one week since the first three were dosed.)

I will have the same question once the time comes around for a 3rd dose....it that routine as well, or does this dose depend on their progress, and if they're still scratching and/or losing fur?

in advance for your guidance....

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelly from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

you can give them the 3rd dose. With so many having it ..it is a good idea.
    We dont actually know how many or who is nesting together.
    My guys hair started to regrow in about 10 days..I believe by the 3 week he was fully covered again with 2 doses.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rippie-n-lilgirlsmom from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

Thank you Rippie! I'll follow your advice.....

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelly from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

Gamma's Baby....

32. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelly from:

frankc (03-09-2020)

emjaysea Guest

So, my mangy squirrel, "Patchy" has a rough and dark look to the areas where he scratches. I've not seen the exact thing in any of the images I look at online. He's a brownish red squirrel living in Michigan. It started on both sides, just behind his armpits, and that's where it looks darkest. The top of his head is now getting bald, and it's not as dark there. He scratches at it all the time, when he's not filling his cake hole. Sound like mange to you??? Hope so, I just bought the ivectem (or however that's spelled) from the link found at the beginning of this thread--$6.50 and 2.5ml. I understand from this thread that pecans or walnuts work well. I've got Patchy taking peanuts from me--not from my hand, nor would I try, but he'll hide around the base of the pine tree there and watch me as I put them on the ground, and then come on back out when I back off twenty feet or so, so I'm hopeful this will be a resounding success. Any advice is much appreciated, like dosing instructions.
    Thanks,
    mjc

emjaysea Guest

Judging from images online, I'd say it's a Fox Squirrel. Whatever's indigenous to the lower peninsula of Michigan...they all look the same to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1