Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: found a pinky

Default Re: found a pinky

We have many Florida members and they can help you find a vet or rehabber quiclky. This baby is sooooo tiny and need extra special care which most finders do not have.....no offense...we just see soo many die when they are so tiny.
    FTN are you close to kidzzoo ??? I know Pork&bean are in Pinellas FL which is close.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

The most important thing is to get him the medical attention he needs, then you can worry about what he is. Have you gotten a hold of any rehabbers? Since he was in a cat's mouth, he might need antibiotics. Baby squirrels take a LOT of work and they really are better off in the hands of someone with more experience. With a rehabber your little tyke will be able to grow up with other squirrels his own age and will get all the medical care he needs.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

kidzoo, be sure the hot rock don't get too warm...I don't remember how hot they get....I used to raise iguanas....but not sure of the temp.
    Just check with your hand to be sure the baby squirrel dosen't over heat. Check every few minuits until you feel it's a safe heat source for the baby.
    You may have to layer the rock with more t shirts until you get the temp just right for the baby.
    Don't feed the baby anything yet...locate a rehaber in your area who can help this baby.
    Rebecca <
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Kidzzoo....here are some rehabbers that may be close to you. Let us know what you are going to do. We are here to help

Florida, West Central region, Pinellas County (Clearwater)..... 727-449-8176
    Sally Hannameyer (Director), Safe Haven Wildlife Center, Inc. safehvn@tampabay.rr.com Wildlife Species: Armadillos, Opossums, Squirrels, Rabbits

Angelic Animals Enterprises, Inc. info@angelicanimals.org Wildlife Species: mostly small mammals, reptiles, and birds (and Class III wildlife); No venomous reptiles Specialty: reptiles (especially snakes); have permit for trapping nuisance wildlife Florida, West central region (Tampa)..... 813-932-9545
    Debbie Bond, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator DebbieKBond@hotmail.com Wildlife Species: small mammals and birds Specialties: opossums and other small mammals, birds, non-venomous reptiles.

Florida, West central region (Tampa)..... 813-340-0529
    Jeff Yorns, Permitted nuisance wildlife interventionist, First responder to injured/ill wildlife for all authorities in region. Specialty: wildlife rescue/capture only (delivery to wildlife rehabilitators) Comments: extensive experience with trational species considered "nuisance wildlife", behavior related to tracking, habitat, capture of all wildlife, with emphasis on dangerous situations.
    Rebecca <

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
    We have many Florida members and they can help you find a vet or rehabber quiclky. This baby is sooooo tiny and need extra special care which most finders do not have.....no offense...we just see soo many die when they are so tiny.
    FTN are you close to kidzzoo ??? I know Pork&bean are in Pinellas FL which is close.
    hI..p&b..IS CLOSER..iM in Crystal River area.....(( Citrus County))

jules Guest

Kidzzoo, this baby looks extremely young and is going to need some intensive care. Try to contact a rehabber asap!

Quote Originally Posted by kidzzoo
    Our cat found a pinky. I do not know if it is a squirrel or something else. We have rescued several squirrels over the years but none this young. We cleaned it up and find no obvious injuries. Got it warm and gave it warmed water. Not sure what to do now. Can send pics after reducing size of file.
    I just want you to know that pinkys that small have a "self sealing skin" for lask of better words.
    A cat fang can puncture the skin and the squirrel skin will re seal and show not wound but a bruse instead. So even though you see no actual wounds they can still be present. And the bacteria in a cats mouth is deadly to a squirrel and already at work under the skin.
    My rule of thumb is when a cat is even present with the squirrel I give antibiotics as a precautionary measure. A vet or rehabber can prescribe the proper meds and dosage per the weight of the squirrel. They are many antibiotics to choose from.
    Don't wait too long before you get this baby some medical attention.
    Rebecca <

[quote=Secret Squirrel]Kidzzoo....here are some rehabbers that may be close to you. Let us know what you are going to do. We are here to help

SORRY THIS NUMBER IS DISCONNECTED...BUMMER!!!
    Florida, West Central region, Pinellas County (Clearwater)..... 727-449-8176
    Sally Hannameyer (Director), Safe Haven Wildlife Center, Inc. safehvn@tampabay.rr.com Wildlife Species: Armadillos, Opossums, Squirrels, Rabbits

Angelic Animals Enterprises, Inc. info@angelicanimals.org Wildlife Species: mostly small mammals, reptiles, and birds (and Class III wildlife); No venomous reptiles Specialty: reptiles (especially snakes); have permit for trapping nuisance wildlife

I CALLED THIS NUMBER AND IT'S AWORKING NUMBER...AND I LEFT A MESSAGE
    Florida, West central region (Tampa)..... 813-932-9545
    Debbie Bond, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator DebbieKBond@hotmail.com Wildlife Species: small mammals and birds Specialties: opossums and other small mammals, birds, non-venomous reptiles.
    Rebecca <

Got a PM from kidzzoo. They got intouch with a rehaber in thier area ....I asked kidzzoo to keep us posted on the outcome. That's all I know....g'nite ya'll
    Rebecca <

Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Buddy'sMom Guest

Great news! Secret Squirrel and everyone else that helped here!

And especially, kidzzo for rescuing this little one and finding help for him/her!! You got wonderful advice here, but there's nothing like having access to a local rehabber -- especially for a cat caught little baby like you have!! We all look forward to hearing an update -- and are hoping for a happy ending!

Oh, and

macytree Guest

[QUOTE=Buddy'sMom]You got wonderful advice here, but there's nothing like having access to a local rehabber

I have to say that is one of the wonderful things about living in this area. There are several rehabbers and a ton of squirrel friendly vets. I didn't end up using a rehabber with hunny but that was mostly because i didn't truly need help. I have no doubt that if she'd been sickly that someone would have stepped into help.

jules Guest

Smile Re: found a pinky

Excellent news Secret Squirrel!

And to Kidzzoo for helping this little baby!

Especially for a cat-caught pinky....I am so happy kidzzoo found a rehabber who will have access to antibiotics and the correct dosages. The dose is miniscule for a pinky squirrel -- but so necessary! Those bruises on that poor little one's neck looked nasty. Here's hoping for good news about the pinky soon.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.