Thread: HELP ME

LAKOTAWOLF Guest

Unhappy HELP ME

HI, MY NAME IS SAM, WE AT MY WORK HAVE A REALLY BIG PROBLEM. WE HAVE LOTS OF SQUIRRELS. WE LOVE THEM AND FEED THEM. BUT THEY HAVE A HABBIT OF DIGGING TRENCHES UNDER OUR DRIVEWAY AND IT FALLS IN WHERE THEY HAVE THEIR TRENCHES. WHAT CAN WE USE TO MAKE THEM STOP DIGGING UNDER OUR DRIVEWAY? THERE ARE A COUPLE OF OTHER SPOTS THAT THEY DIG UNDER ALSO. WE DO NOT WANT TO KILL THEM OR TRAP THEM JUST TO DETURE THEM FROM CERTIAN SPOTS. WE HAVE EVEN TRIED POURING CONCRETE DOWN THE TRENCHES BUT THEY JUST GO AROUND THE CONCRETE. PLEASE WHAT CAN WE DO?

Default Re: HELP ME

Hi Sam. That's a weird scenario to me, I've never seen any of my squirrels dig like that! But there are all kinds of squirrels, with all kinds of activity.

Anyway, couldn't you line the sides of the driveway with a foot or so of gravel? The chunky, rocky kind? I can't really see them wanting to dig through that.

Or maybe sink close meshed wire about 6" to 8" deep along the driveway?

muffinsquirrel

Are these regular grey squirrels? Never seen them dig that much, just to bury their goods but not to tunnel. Can you post some pictures?
    And thanks for trying to work with them instead of just destroying them

It sure sounds as if these are ground squirrels -- and they will burrow wherever they see fit I guess! I think muffinsquirrel's idea about mesh wire is a good one, not too expensive, either. Sorry I don't know more about this type of squirrel -- maybe our West Coast members have some better ideas...?? Is it possible that they are choosing certain locations because of a water source nearby? If so, maybe diverting or closing off that particular source will keep them away.....just a thought.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

LAKOTAWOLF Guest

I LIVE IN THE DESERT, AND YES THEY TUNNEL UNDERGROUND ALL OVER THE PLACE. NOT GROUND SQURRIELS, I HAVE PLENTY OF GROUND SQURRILES IN MY FRONT YARD. WHAT ELSE CAN I PUT IN THE HOLES AS A DETURANT BEFORE I REPAVE THE DRIVE WAY. I DO NOT NEED THEM DIGGING UNDER IT ANYMORE. ONCE AGAIN THANKS

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.