Thread: Putting them back to the wild

Stephanie K Zon Guest

Default Putting them back to the wild

I have my baby Missy andshe needs to go back but she keeps coming back and she is jumping on people and bites any one but me she is old enouch to go back now and she still comes for her fomula she has been going out side for a week now and came back 2 and slept I don't know whyere she went the other nights I do worry very much about her I can go out side and she comes when I call her. I don't know if I am doing the right things or not please help me again. Stephanie Zon

Default Re: Putting them back to the wild

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie K Zon
    I have my baby Missy andshe needs to go back but she keeps coming back and she is jumping on people and bites any one but me she is old enouch to go back now and she still comes for her fomula she has been going out side for a week now and came back 2 and slept I don't know whyere she went the other nights I do worry very much about her I can go out side and she comes when I call her. I don't know if I am doing the right things or not please help me again. Stephanie Zon
    Is Missy the same squirrel that you were running back and forth to the vet with? I so happy to hear that she survived. I'd love to see some pictures of her, now that she's all grown up!
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie K Zon
    Stephanie, give it another week and Missy may get more used to being outside. I have also heard that female squirrels take longer to leave the nest than males. The fact that she slept several nights outdoors is a good sign. Try to keep people away from her, or keep her away from people -- even if you have to "shoo" her or clap your hands rapidly, or even bang on some pots or pans when there are people around. Unfortunately this is what rehabbers do when we must "wild up" an animal for release that has been made very tame....you almost need to be nasty to them in order to get them to stay away from people. But be patient...sometimes it takes them 2-3 weeks to get the idea thru their little squirrelly brains. DON'T let others get near her if you can help it....if she nips again, somebody will make a call to Animal Control and Missy will be taken away.....be careful!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Stephanie I am with Island, give her a few more nights maybe even a week. When Squerly and I use to raise and release squirrels, they would always take a week to 10 days before they would not return back to their release cage to sleep. She will get more independent and wise as she grows each day on her own. It's great though that they still come around and let you watch them grow and develop their senses, it makes you realize that you have been such a big part of a great thing. Keep us posted on how she does and snap a picture of her out in the wild. Oh yeah we did have one named Ziggy that was treated very badly by kids, won't go into the story but he bonded only to me and when ever anyone came over I had to go outside so he could come sit on my arm so the people could get to and from the house. If you made eye contact with him, you were going to get bit that was all there was to it.

Stephanie K Zon Guest

Oh thank you for writing back so soon yes it is my litt6le one that I had to the vet and she is doing great except she likes to be around where the people are. Will she know how to make her own nest and be able to find food I am so worried about her I am out there making sure she is alright like when I frist wake up even if it is 4:00 in the morrning it is as bad as worring about my kids and they are grown and gone never thought I could feel this way about a animal I just love her so much and can't wait to get another oneand would love to be a rehaber it is alot of work but so enjoyable well thank you I hope she goes back but if not that is ok to I will keep her but I think she will go back because she loves it out side I had to bring a box of dirt so she could dig in it when she frist started digging, she would try and hide nuts and stuff in my hair and all over the house. Thank you so much for your help don't know what I would have done with out every one that helped me,with out you I wouldn't have har and never know the love of a baby squirrel it has been one of the greatest experance I have ever had so thank you all I will never forget it. With all my love and graditude Stephanie K Zon

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.