Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Common Mistakes and fixes

Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

Important to keep young babies warm during feeding time, with no extremes in tempature changes

To keep babies warm during feedings: I always rolled a blankie/fleece up in a heating pad and when it was time to feed, I turned the heating pad on and while fixing the formula the blankie/fleece got nice and warm. I then would unroll it, and roll under one side of the heating pad for a semi up position and feed on the warm blankie with heating pad underneath.....kept baby nice and warm, and the other part of the blankie/fleece can be flipped over them for warmth and security. Keeps them at a nice stable temp, especially during the cooler nights we have. After feeding I would swaddled with the warm blanket while cleaning the formula from mouth and while doing the bathroom biz.

squirrel princess Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scoobysnack
    Air bubbles in your syringe...

Fix...

Fill your syringe with formula, plunge the formula back out, then refill your syringe. Gets all the bubbles out! I discovered it by accident but I follow it to this day. Errr.. not that my six month old squirrel still likes a taste of formula before bed or anything... that would be crazy.. who the heck would spoil a baby like that??!!

KimbleSquible Guest

On keeping the formula warm during a feed:
    I make up half a days formula at a time, I invested in tiny little plastic containers and I divide the formula into these.
    I put very hot water into a slightly bigger cup and put one small container into it. It heats it up really quickly and maintains it's temperature for a good 15 minutes. By dividing the formula I don't reheat it again and again.

(sdfghjjjjjjjjjgfdslt6y) Some input from Scrib the Squib and his stick...

Which leads me to another tip: Cover your keyboard in Cling Wrap!!

Mars Guest

Not Weighing your baby!

The scale is your best friend when raising a baby squirrel. It can quickly tell you if things are not right. So weight your baby daily. You want to see a consistant weight gain daily as they are growing very fast. No weight gain is a warning signal and a weight lost - even just a gram - is an alarm bell.

Grams scales can be found in the kitchen gadget section at Wal mart for reasonable price. And I tell you truely - if you cannot afford the price of the scale you cannot afford to be raising a baby squirrel. To do it right with formula, food, indoor caging, outdoor caging, toys etc it gets expensive. Please concider this serouisly as you take this on.

Ok, I have a question and need some helpful suggestions. I have 4 babies, 3 are between 4-5 weeks and one is between 5-6 weeks. I change bedding 2x a day and always clean up throughout the day. They are in a small carry cage for now and I take it back and forth to work. Well my boss lady just pulled me aside, and she has has several complaints about the "Odor" emanating from my office. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I have the bottom lined with a puppy pad, then a peice of T-shirt over that then I cover the entire cage with a towel. They are still on a heating pad partially, which seems to make it worse I have been trying to think of ways myself, but now thet want me to set up and area outside of my office, which I hate, because I like to be able to keep an eye on them. (My alternative is behind our office in our compound), maybe in our evidence drop room They would be safe but out of sight.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

I have thought of that, it wont hurt them if they get it on them, but what if they inhale some?? Just being cautious, but i did think of that too.

Simba as a baby

I will try it for sure And let you know.

Simba as a baby

I have a gram scale, and weigh him everytime im writting something on his little note pad, what he weighs, date, time, activity, and then food if any.

Comes in handy.

Tum Tum & Grizzly Sometimes Amazing Things Come In Little Bundles Of Fur

rocky the secret squirrel Guest

Re: using tap water or spring water.....I was told to ALWAYS use distilled water to make the formula, and although I would have thought tap or spring would have been better, I have stuck with the distilled for 3 years. I find that whatever I read or hear is the only way to do something and the absolute rule, I will find another rehabber or post that swears that (whatever it is) should never be done. I would have assumed that spring water would offer some minerals that aren't in distilled water-is that why you say to use tap or spring?

Witt1189- Take an orange and push cloves into it until it is completely covered. Place the clove studded orange in your area near the door. The orange will last for weeks and cover up any odors. It's an oldie but goody remedy.

Anne

Obviously your boss is not a squirrel person ? Maybe I'm weird but I think the squirrel smell is kind of sweet. I do like the orange/clove pomander idea. Or maybe a little mini-fan circulating your area.

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Mars Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rocky the secret squirrel
    Re: using tap water or spring water.....I was told to ALWAYS use distilled water to make the formula, and although I would have thought tap or spring would have been better, I have stuck with the distilled for 3 years. I find that whatever I read or hear is the only way to do something and the absolute rule, I will find another rehabber or post that swears that (whatever it is) should never be done. I would have assumed that spring water would offer some minerals that aren't in distilled water-is that why you say to use tap or spring?

Distilled water is PURE H2O. It is completely stripped of other molecules by the distillation proccess. This is not the natural state of water and is called "empty water". It does not like to being in this state and will work hard to get back to it's natural state by pulling molecules for the blood system. Drinking a 8 oz glass of distilled water has the same effect as taking 2 aspirin. It is a very good choice for a cleansing after a toxin, but not for use it in formula as it can't really tell good molecules from bad and pulls nutrients from the body as well as toxins. Spring water would be a better choice.

I believe the use of distilled water dates back to wanting to use sterile water. Distilled water is sterile but so is boiled water and a much safer choice if you feel concerned your water source may be condaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by witt1189
    Ok, I have a question and need some helpful suggestions. I have 4 babies, 3 are between 4-5 weeks and one is between 5-6 weeks. I change bedding 2x a day and always clean up throughout the day. They are in a small carry cage for now and I take it back and forth to work. Well my boss lady just pulled me aside, and she has has several complaints about the "Odor" emanating from my office. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I have the bottom lined with a puppy pad, then a peice of T-shirt over that then I cover the entire cage with a towel. They are still on a heating pad partially, which seems to make it worse I have been trying to think of ways myself, but now thet want me to set up and area outside of my office, which I hate, because I like to be able to keep an eye on them. (My alternative is behind our office in our compound), maybe in our evidence drop room They would be safe but out of sight.
    If you don't have this problem solved yet, try getting one of those ashtrays with the fan and filter that removes the smell of cigarette smoke. They are pretty quiet, run on batteries, and are fairly efficient.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

rocky the secret squirrel Guest

I believe the use of distilled water dates back to wanting to use sterile water. Distilled water is sterile but so is boiled water and a much safer choice if you feel concerned your water source may be condaminated.[/QUOTE]

This is one of those places where my instinct would have been to use Spring water (that is what we drink too), but have used distilled on advice from a rehabber-the idea was that the squirrels would get everything they need from the formula and the distilled water wouldn't have any contaminants in it. I think I will start using the Spring water-thanks!

Mars Guest

Good instincts

The distilled water ban does not make sense to me, once you mix it with Esbilac it is not just distilled water, it is now formula. Formula is good for baby squirrels, I don't know, I'll ask my son, he's going to school for chemical engineering, but i think he'll say H2O is H2O, he drinks filtered/purified water, not tap or spring.

Mixing dry powder Esbalic with a fork makes for easier mixing and lessens the formation of bubbles.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

ozadelic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    Well their mother will lick their genitiles to stimulate the process. We use a cotton pad or tissue.

Well that was easy! He finally went to the bathroom, yay!

ozadelic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Milo's Mom
    Before the baby's eyes are open and off formula keep rodent block in the cage so they can get used to the scent and more likely eat it when they are weened. This is very important because rodent block should be, I think, 40% to 50% of their diet.

My baby was found with his eyes open, just barely. Should I just go get him a rodent block?

What type of rodent blocks? hamster, rat, rabbit? What brand is most recommended?

Also, if when they are older and don't take to rodent blocks could you still feed them esbilac once a day as a supplement?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38