Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 138

Thread: Common Mistakes and fixes

  1. #1
    Mars Guest

    Default Common Mistakes and fixes

    Thought I start a thread where we can list the commom mistakes we see so often, why they are mistakes and how to fix them. I'll begin please jump in.

  2. #2
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    #1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

    The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

    Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    760
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Mars, you may need to add to this, but........Never feed a cold baby. If you have found a orphaned baby squirrel, you must first get it warm.

  4. #4
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    #2 Forgetting babies need to be stimulated imediately upon coming in.

    Remember the longer they are alway from mom the more they really have to go. And again to avoid UTI it is important to keep the bladder and kidneys working properly.

  5. #5
    Mikey Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    #1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

    The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

    Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.
    What? They dont do their... business on their own? Now that I DIDNT know! Well, how do you get them to do their... stuff?

  6. #6
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    Mars, you may need to add to this, but........Never feed a cold baby. If you have found a orphaned baby squirrel, you must first get it warm.

    Excellent

    Never feed a cold baby.

    When a baby is cold their little systems have shut down. Babies must have an external heat source as they cannot maintain their own body heat. Always warm your baby first.

  7. #7
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    What? They dont do their... business on their own? Now that I DIDNT know! Well, how do you get them to do their... stuff?

    Well their mother will lick their genitiles to stimulate the process. We use a cotton pad or tissue.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    760
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Here's another one I thought of..... Never feed a baby squirrel milk while lying on its back. The milk can fill their lungs and can eventually kill the baby.

    Please add to this Mars.

  9. #9
    Mikey Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Ok. I didnt know that!

  10. #10
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Never Microwave your formulas to warm them

    The micro wave oven messes with the structure of the protein molecules in the formula changing their bioavailabilty. In other words it screws with them to the point the body no longer recognizes them as proteins and does not know what to do with them.

    Fix - make your formulas fresh each feeding using warm water or, barring that, use a hot water bath to reheat your formula.

  11. #11
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    Here's another one I thought of..... Never feed a baby squirrel milk while lying on its back. The milk can fill their lungs and can eventually kill the baby.

    Please add to this Mars.

    Exactly

    Aspiration caused by feeding baby either too fast or in a improper position.

    Your baby should be held as a baby squirrel would naturally feed belly down with the syringe held at an angel coming up from below or held slightly upright and again the syringe comes up to the mouth.

    AND SLOWLY Remeber baby must be given a chance to swallow. With an eye dropper the method is to place one drop just inside the lips and let the baby swallow then repeat. With a syringe it's tap swallow, tap swallow pointing the syringe at a slight angle into the cheek and never directly down the throat. If the plunger gets stuck DO NOT just push harder. Clear it into a cup and then start over.

  12. #12
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Never shake your formulas to mix.

    This may seem picky but remember bubbles formed in the formula end up in your baby's tummy and can cause bloat. And bloat can kill. Always treat your formulas gently and stir to mix.

  13. #13
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Using the liquid form of Esblilac beyond it's use by date.

    Actually this is just 72 hour after you open the can. And you may not think it is spoiling but trust me it is.

    Easy fix - liquid Esblilac can be frozen. Use an Ice cube tray and then thaw out only what you will use each day at a time. Agian do not use the mirco wave to thaw with.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    760
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Before the baby's eyes are open and off formula keep rodent block in the cage so they can get used to the scent and more likely eat it when they are weened. This is very important because rodent block should be, I think, 40% to 50% of their diet.

  15. #15
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    Before the baby's eyes are open and off formula keep rodent block in the cage so they can get used to the scent and more likely eat it when they are weened. This is very important because rodent block should be, I think, 40% to 50% of their diet.

    Great suggestion. It makes a great teething food, too.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,222
    Thanked: 107

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    Before the baby's eyes are open and off formula keep rodent block in the cage so they can get used to the scent and more likely eat it when they are weened. This is very important because rodent block should be, I think, 40% to 50% of their diet.
    Buy the Harlan Teklad Vegetarian Rodent Diet. No fish meal. No animal fat. No bad smell.

    (The KayTee Forti-Diet is vegetarian too, and widely available, though not as high-quality as the Harlan Teklad.)
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  17. #17
    TexanSquirrel Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Awesome thread, Mars.

  18. #18
    Mars Guest

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Quote Originally Posted by TexanSquirrel
    Awesome thread, Mars.

    Thank you. If you think of any please add to the list

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,222
    Thanked: 107

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Always mix formula with plain tap water or spring water. NEVER with Pedialyte or distilled water.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

    The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    760
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

    Alright 4S, that was my next post. You beat me to it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 71

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •