Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Common Mistakes and fixes

Hybrid View

Mars Guest

Default Common Mistakes and fixes

Thought I start a thread where we can list the commom mistakes we see so often, why they are mistakes and how to fix them. I'll begin please jump in.

Mars Guest

Default Re: Common Mistakes and fixes

#1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.

Mars, you may need to add to this, but........Never feed a cold baby. If you have found a orphaned baby squirrel, you must first get it warm.

Mars Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    Mars, you may need to add to this, but........Never feed a cold baby. If you have found a orphaned baby squirrel, you must first get it warm.

Excellent

Never feed a cold baby.

When a baby is cold their little systems have shut down. Babies must have an external heat source as they cannot maintain their own body heat. Always warm your baby first.

Here's another one I thought of..... Never feed a baby squirrel milk while lying on its back. The milk can fill their lungs and can eventually kill the baby.

Please add to this Mars.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Miss Milo's Mom from:

Rocky102014 (03-16-2022)

Mars Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    Here's another one I thought of..... Never feed a baby squirrel milk while lying on its back. The milk can fill their lungs and can eventually kill the baby.

Please add to this Mars.

Exactly

Aspiration caused by feeding baby either too fast or in a improper position.

Your baby should be held as a baby squirrel would naturally feed belly down with the syringe held at an angel coming up from below or held slightly upright and again the syringe comes up to the mouth.

AND SLOWLY Remeber baby must be given a chance to swallow. With an eye dropper the method is to place one drop just inside the lips and let the baby swallow then repeat. With a syringe it's tap swallow, tap swallow pointing the syringe at a slight angle into the cheek and never directly down the throat. If the plunger gets stuck DO NOT just push harder. Clear it into a cup and then start over.

Mars Guest

#2 Forgetting babies need to be stimulated imediately upon coming in.

Remember the longer they are alway from mom the more they really have to go. And again to avoid UTI it is important to keep the bladder and kidneys working properly.

Mikey Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    #1 Assuming that because babies eye are open they are peeing and pooping on thier own.

The general rule of thumb is - babies will start to go on their own when at about the age they open their eys. But baby squirrels have never heard of this rule and each is diffferent. A few babies will start to go on thier own during the week before their eyes open. But most will not start until up to a week or so after they the open their eyes.

Pee held too long can cause UTI ( urinary tract infections ) to avoid this always stimulate each baby at each feeding until you are sure they are consistantly going on their own.
    What? They dont do their... business on their own? Now that I DIDNT know! Well, how do you get them to do their... stuff?

Mars Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey
    What? They dont do their... business on their own? Now that I DIDNT know! Well, how do you get them to do their... stuff?

Well their mother will lick their genitiles to stimulate the process. We use a cotton pad or tissue.

Mikey Guest

Ok. I didnt know that!

Mars Guest

Never Microwave your formulas to warm them

The micro wave oven messes with the structure of the protein molecules in the formula changing their bioavailabilty. In other words it screws with them to the point the body no longer recognizes them as proteins and does not know what to do with them.

Fix - make your formulas fresh each feeding using warm water or, barring that, use a hot water bath to reheat your formula.

Never Microwave your formulas to warm them

The micro wave oven messes with the structure of the protein molecules in the formula changing their bioavailabilty. In other words it screws with them to the point the body no longer recognizes them as proteins and does not know what to do with them.

Fix - make your formulas fresh each feeding using warm water or, barring that, use a hot water bath to reheat your formula.
    How should the milk be warmed?

ozadelic Guest

Well their mother will lick their genitiles to stimulate the process. We use a cotton pad or tissue.

Well that was easy! He finally went to the bathroom, yay!

Mars Guest

Underestimating the importance of probiotics.

Probiotics are made up of the good bacteria that lives in all mammalian guts. This is a symbiotic relationship that is vital to the well being of all mammals. Probiotics play many roles - here are two - first they assist in the absorbtion of nutrients from food. There are nutrients the body needs that cannot be absorbed without a healthy gut flora. And 2 they check the growth of the "bad" stuff such as yeast. All mammal babies are born with a steril gut. The gut flora is built slowly over time and comes from the mother's milk. Our man made formulas do not contain probiotics.

Easy fix - Add 1/3 to 1/2 part organic live cultured yogurt to your formula every feeding until weaned. You will see an increased growth rate, less digestive upset and a much healthier baby over all.

Underestimating the importance of probiotics.

Probiotics are made up of the good bacteria that lives in all mammalian guts. This is a symbiotic relationship that is vital to the well being of all mammals. Probiotics play many roles - here are two - first they assist in the absorbtion of nutrients from food. There are nutrients the body needs that cannot be absorbed without a healthy gut flora. And 2 they check the growth of the "bad" stuff such as yeast. All mammal babies are born with a steril gut. The gut flora is built slowly over time and comes from the mother's milk. Our man made formulas do not contain probiotics.

Easy fix - Add 1/3 to 1/2 part organic live cultured yogurt to your formula every feeding until weaned. You will see an increased growth rate, less digestive upset and a much healthier baby over all.
    Go Mars!

I was going to suggest that yogurt be part of the STANDARD formula for baby squirrels. (Instead of waiting for digestive problems to arise.)
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Mars Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Go Mars!

I was going to suggest that yogurt be part of the STANDARD formula for baby squirrels. (Instead of waiting for digestive problems to arise.)

Please do Just remember it cannot be frozen or you kill the good stuff.

rocky the secret squirrel Guest

Re: using tap water or spring water.....I was told to ALWAYS use distilled water to make the formula, and although I would have thought tap or spring would have been better, I have stuck with the distilled for 3 years. I find that whatever I read or hear is the only way to do something and the absolute rule, I will find another rehabber or post that swears that (whatever it is) should never be done. I would have assumed that spring water would offer some minerals that aren't in distilled water-is that why you say to use tap or spring?

Witt1189- Take an orange and push cloves into it until it is completely covered. Place the clove studded orange in your area near the door. The orange will last for weeks and cover up any odors. It's an oldie but goody remedy.

Anne

Obviously your boss is not a squirrel person ? Maybe I'm weird but I think the squirrel smell is kind of sweet. I do like the orange/clove pomander idea. Or maybe a little mini-fan circulating your area.

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Mars Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rocky the secret squirrel
    Re: using tap water or spring water.....I was told to ALWAYS use distilled water to make the formula, and although I would have thought tap or spring would have been better, I have stuck with the distilled for 3 years. I find that whatever I read or hear is the only way to do something and the absolute rule, I will find another rehabber or post that swears that (whatever it is) should never be done. I would have assumed that spring water would offer some minerals that aren't in distilled water-is that why you say to use tap or spring?

Distilled water is PURE H2O. It is completely stripped of other molecules by the distillation proccess. This is not the natural state of water and is called "empty water". It does not like to being in this state and will work hard to get back to it's natural state by pulling molecules for the blood system. Drinking a 8 oz glass of distilled water has the same effect as taking 2 aspirin. It is a very good choice for a cleansing after a toxin, but not for use it in formula as it can't really tell good molecules from bad and pulls nutrients from the body as well as toxins. Spring water would be a better choice.

I believe the use of distilled water dates back to wanting to use sterile water. Distilled water is sterile but so is boiled water and a much safer choice if you feel concerned your water source may be condaminated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 38