Thread: Exercise Wheel for Squirrels

squarletsmom Guest

Default Exercise Wheel for Squirrels

I have been pondering on a wheel for Squarlet. She has plently of room in her cage for one.... but the obvious problem is the size it would have to be to work for a big squirrel with a long tail!

I have seen "Wobust Wodent Wheels" that are not big enough.

Does anyone have any design ideas for us?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Exercise Wheel for Squirrels

Ther is another wheel called the Stealth Flyer..the big size is 12" on the outside..there is a web site i think anita's attic who sells it..it is suppose to be really good and silent due to the ball bearings...let me know if you can't find it..

I don't think foxers and greys will use an exercise wheel, although flying squirrels will. Hmmmmm, exercise ideas......

Name:  squirrel exercise ideas.jpg
Views: 3796
Size:  80.4 KB
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

the correct name is atticworx.com...
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyPaws
    Ther is another wheel called the Stealth Flyer..the big size is 12" on the outside..there is a web site i think anita's attic who sells it..it is suppose to be really good and silent due to the ball bearings...let me know if you can't find it..

PBluejay2 Guest

I was thinking of building a couple for my pet squirrel, Sassy, and for the rehab squirrels I have/get, but I would think they'd have to be much larger than twelve inches outside diameter. I was thinking more along the lines of two to three feet in diameter. However, I haven't started this project because I recently read the book (memoir) by Homer Hickman named The Coalwood Way, and apparently his mother had a pet squirrel who lost part of its tail in a wheel (though he claims the squirrel used the wheel even after the accident). So until I can figure out how to eliminate that possibility (any engineers out there), I'll keep procrastinating. I was thinking of using bicycle rims for the outside support, but all those spokes!

If you take a look at the way the Stealth Flyer and the Wodent Wheel are made you'll see they are not made llike the old hampster wheels...there is nothing to catch their tails because the front is completely opened...

TexanSquirrel Guest

I think exercise is a great idea for Squarlet! Just start slowly and move from there!

Try a 'scavenger hunt' for her dinner. Or build some sort of maze for her to follow to get her food. The Stealth Wheel is really great, and is built so that the squirrel will not get hurt. I suggest that you get in touch with Anita, who makes them, and tell her your problem - she may have some suggestions.

Fix up any type of toy you can think of to get her to exercise - buy a tree for her to climb. The fruit trees and others are hitting the nurseries now - get the biggest one you can get in your house - it doesn't have to stay in there forever. Or cut down a tree, put it in a pot and fill the pot with quick-set concrete or plaster of paris.

See if she likes to swim. (Believe it or not, squirrels CAN swim, and some enjoy the water.) The water doesn't have to be real deep. And, of course, you will be there with her the whole time, maybe even holding her up a little to give her confidence.

Get her one of the really big 'hamster' balls that you put them in and they walk around the room in it - I think they make them for ferrets.

Build her a 'balance beam' from 2X4s - put a treat at one end and her at the other.

Enroll her in Jennie Craig for Squirrels!!!

Good luck. I hope you can get her weight down - I think it will make a big difference! Hey - celery is a 'minus calorie' food, isn't it? Takes more calories to eat it than it provides. Feed that girl lots of celery!

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

darrakm Guest

The problem with squirrels loosing their tails in wheels is primarily because of the cros bar. Stealths do not have a crossbar. They are slso open on the front.

kimbia Guest

Talking Re: Exercise Wheel for Squirrels

heres some pics of chewys wheel acrobations and chippie hanging ^^
    any other ideas for chippie(or squirrel) exercize ideas, and toys (like tunnels or somethin)?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default This wheel is PERFECT

This wheel is PERFECT for squirrels. They're tails don't get caught and when they get curious, they learn what it does, lol!

Members who have read this thread: 4