Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MBD Question

Default Re: MBD Question

I hope Luvs Squirrels won't mind that I am giving everyone an update on Sammy.

Sammy was diagnosed 2 months ago with diabetes by a local vet, and with MBD by those of us on TSB. Since then, his parents have done wonders with providing Sammy a diabetic diet, as well as treating him for MBD. This resulted in a brief period of improved health. Sadly, poor Sammy took a turn for the worse on Saturday night. He became very limp and lifeless. Although Sammy had tested negative for glucose with a human urine test previously, today he tested at 250 mg/dl, and then at 500 mg/dl, which would be considered diabetes in a rat. Of course, we have little or no info on squirrels, and the rat is our closest model. It appears Sammy does truly have diabetes and that it has suddenly gotten worse. With few options available in their state for vet care, Sammy's mom and dad are going to take him back to the vet who originally diagnosed him with diabetes. Although he had no expertise with squirrels, it was very kind of him to see Sammy at all. At this point, the feasibility of giving a squirrel regular insulin shots is unknown. So the options are looking grim for darling little Sammy right now, and his mom and dad's primary concern is that Sammy not suffer.

I know everyone on TSB will join me in hoping and praying for a miracle for Sammy....and in offering comfort and support to his loving mom and dad.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Oh no, we are sorry to hear Sammy is worse. Our prayers are with Sammy and his family. Wishing him all the best. My last pet squirrel Angel II, who passed away this summer was also diagnosed with diabetes in 2004. Plus had numerous seizures each day for about 5 1/2 years. Hoping all goes well and Sammy recovers LS!

Thinking of Sammy and his parents. Best wishes.

My Little Trouble Guest

Adding my prayers and best wishes for Sammy and his family.

First of all, I want to thank 4skwerlz for all the support. She went way above and beyond yesterday. We ended up losing our precious Sammy today at 5:00 pm. The x-ray showed there was a problem with one of his vertebra and the vet said he had to be in pain, urinalysis showed the diabetes and blood work showed his kidneys and liver were shutting down.

I want to thank all of the people here for their support and caring. I do want to do a thread for him in the all squirrels go to heaven...it will just need to be a few days. My heart has absolutely broken in two. We lost a precious little miracle today.

Thank you all again - I love you all.

I am so sorry you lost your baby, my heart goes out to you, he will always be in your heart.

Pam Guest

I am so sorry, Luvs. Sammy will be missed.

Mars Guest

My Little Trouble Guest

I'm so very, very sorry.
    My heart aches for your loss.

I am so sorry you lost your little Sammy. I wish I could make all the pain go away and give you a hug.
    MMMMiss Milo's Mom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12