Thread: just a question

squirrelly_girlie Guest

Question just a question

Hey guys! I have been researching on how to get baby squirrels to raise and I haven't found much! My family and I raised an orphan squirrel we saved from the dog. My dad absolutely fell in love with it, but it was a wild animal, so we let it go once it was ready. Ever since he has always wanted another to raise, or even keep as a pet. We let that squirrel go 2 years ago, but he has never let it drop. It has come up a lot recently because we just raised a baby rabbit for our neighbors. Everyday he jokes about how "squirrelly" was the best pet. For father's day, or even his birthday, I wanted to give him his wish of having another squirrel. My mom and I have talked and she would rather him get a female squirrel. I have heard flying squirrels make good pets, but gray squirrels is what he raised. My question is how can I buy a baby squirrel for him? And what do I have to do to get it; do I need some kind of license or anything? If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated!!! THANKS!!

Default Re: just a question

I doubt that you will be able to find a grey squirrel for sale. Flying squirrels do make great pets, though, and there are a couple of breeders in Ohio. Of course, flyers are nocturnal, so you either have to stay up late or get up early to interact with them. They are friendly and loving and very amusing, but they are not at all like greys or foxers. If his heart is set on a grey, why don't you look into rehabbing? Although they will eventually be released, you usually get quite a few to raise each year. We can always use more rehabbers - not only for squirrels, but raccoons, possums, etc.

If you want more info on the flyers, please PM or email me.

muffinsquirrel

BuckeyeSqrl Guest

Just a word of warning; it is illegal to have a squirrel in your possession in Ohio without either a rehabber or breeder permit. To get a rehabber permit, you have to go through training and inspections by ODNR. It's a very involved process.

If you can prove that you purchased the squirrel from a breeder; i.e. didn't take it from the wild, then you can get a breeder's permit for $15 per year from ODNR.

However, if they find that you have a squirrel and do not have a permit, they will remove the squirrel from your home and euthanize it. They've done this several times.

What part of Ohio are you in? You could always volunteer at the Ohio Wildlife Center and become a rehabber. Of course, then, you would let them go when they're big enough, but they get in tons of squirrels each year, especially in late summer. That too, takes some time and commitment as they require you to take many classes before allowing you take orphans home to raise. Your permit would be a blanket permit under the center.

Kristi

squirrelly_girlie Guest

Thank you muffinsquirrel and BuckeyeSqrl!! But I have one question BuckeyeSqrl..so if I buy a flyer from a breeder, how do I get a permit? Do I get it from the shelter like a dog tag? Or do I get it from the breeder herself or do i go to the Ohio Wildlife Center? Thank you so much!

BuckeyeSqrl Guest

Any permit for having a pet squirrel has to come from ODNR. I don't know for sure if a permit is required for southern fliers. Anything that is native wildlife in Ohio requires a permit from ODNR.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.