Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think my baby may need some help

Default Re: I think my baby may need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Milo Man's Mom
    ...He is loving the Esibalic milk again. I have been giving him around 7 to 8 cc's every 4 hours or around that. I crush up about 1/2 of a 600 mg calcium pill and put it on his blueberries. Should I give him a whole 600 mg of calcium plus his formula a day? I don't want to over do it. .I did take him off the vitamins and minerals in his water since he is drinking Esibalic again. I'm scared he might be getting to much of the other vitamins. Do you agree?
    Of course no one really knows for sure about treating MBD, but we try to use common sense plus the experience of what has worked before.

1/2 of a calcium pill per day would give him 2,100 mg of calcium in addition to what he gets in the formula and in his food. Normally we'd want to double that amount for MBD, but since he's eating a LOT of formula, that's probably okay. You could double it if you want and see how he does, but only for 1 week. Watch and see what seems to work. As long as he continues to improve rapidly, you know you're doing the right things.

So glad he's feeling better!!
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Thanks for all the great advice. I will keep you posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes it is possible that he can get too much calcium.
    He has had his best day today. He is still grunting a lot especially when he is climbing around or when i pick him up. He is loving the Esibalic milk again. I have been giving him around 7 to 8 cc's every 4 hours or around that.
    Aren't they great animals ....they know what their bodies need and they will eat what they need!! Good for you and him. If hes taking the esbillac and dark green veggies that should be good ..dont want to over do, probably can skip the other pills. Also the nice thing about the formula he's also getting the Vit d so he's good to go. Good luck he's a handsome guy.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Thank you.

roto Guest

I gave my squirrel 500 mg of calcium per day for two days and he got
    very, very sick. Stopped the treatment and he sprang back quickly.

Now he's just on a good diet including rodent blocks and is doing great.
    He's very active, is outside most of the time and seems very happy.

I've since read that too much calcium can actually hinder the healing
    process. The abstract that I read stated no more than 20mg per day.

There's alot of information out there and many different opinions. I just
    wanted to share my experience and put in my two cents.

Glad your little guy is doing well. Here's to many long happy days!

wildhearthoney Guest

Stop the nuts and seed right away. Get calcium in him asap! Put him on a rodent block/chow diet. He can have veggies, but 65% of his nutrition should be rodent chow 25% veggies 10% fruit. Find a vet that is qualified for exotics. Keep in contact with TSB. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wildhearthoney
    Stop the nuts and seed right away. Get calcium in him asap! Put him on a rodent block/chow diet. He can have veggies, but 65% of his nutrition should be rodent chow 25% veggies 10% fruit. Find a vet that is qualified for exotics. Keep in contact with TSB. Good luck!
    wildhearthoney, your response is right on and absolutely perfect. Only thing is, this thread is over two years old. The date of each post in a thread is in the upper left corner, over the poster's name. No problem -- happens to newbies all the time.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12