Thread: CA Fires Emergency request

Mars Guest

Default CA Fires Emergency request

This a cross post from another list....

Fire Emergency in California...PLEASE CROSS POST WHERE APPROPRIATE.

Carol
    Subject: FIRESTORM EMERGENCY FARMED ANIMAL EVACUATION!! GENTLE BARN!!

PLEASE FORWARD TO ANYONE IN AND AROUND THE LOS ANGELES AREA IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE FORWARD TO ANY GROUPS WHO HAVE MEMBERS IN LOS ANGELES!!!!!!!

EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need EVERYBODY to get up to Gentle Barn to help evacuate all the animals!!!!!

GENTLE BARN
    15825 Sierra Hwy
    5 and/or 405 northbound to 14
    14 N to Sand Cyn Rd
    Left to Sierra Hwy
    Turn R
    See complex on left

This is as per Animal Acres' Lorri Bauston's request.

We will evacuate all animals to Animal Acres, so will need people to help us set up a separate evacuation area AT Animal Acres.

PLEASE CONTACT EVERYONE
    EMAIL EVERYONE
    PHONE EVERYONE!

Mars Guest

Default Re: CA Fires Emergency request

For those who have seen the news, southern CA has declared state of emergency from Santa Barbara County to San Diego County. We have several rehab centers in jeopardy. California Wildlife Center in Malibu evacuated yesterday. I believe their danger is over and animals may be going back. My own satellite is across the gully from the famous castle in Malibu that burned to the ground. She had to pack up her animals and be ready to leave.

I was so impressed with the number of rehab centers that immediately started volunteering help in whatever capacity was needed.

At the moment we have over a dozen fires going and winds have not abated. We are getting gusts of up to 80 miles per hour. Air quality is horrible. I am worried about the young squirrels that I have outside and have held off putting anymore into the pre-release cages plus I am keeping cages open in case someone needs help.

My heart goes out to those that have lost homes, those who are evacuating and most of all to all the native wildlife that is lost.

Please keep CA in your thoughts and prayers as we go through this horrible event.

Definately praying for those winds to STOP!!! I'm so glad to hear that so many are helping with the animal situation! My heart goes out to all those who have lost homes and property.
    "All we really are is Squirrels" (and Bunnies!)
    - The Beastly Boys

I've been reading about it and just shuddering. They've got a fairgrounds open in San Diego for horses and livestock for people who have to evacuate.. I too am glad they're considering the animals, least those they can.. poor wild things though.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

Prayers going out for all the animals.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Buddy'sMom Guest

Sarah Guest

Miles from the fires, but with a yellow sky and ash falling, our wilds have been on edge so I hope that the critters that were closer would have know something was wrong and been able to get clear. The fires seem to be burning in narrow concentrated lines in the valleys and not in very wide waves... which is 'good' for the wildlife.

Many prayers.

jules Guest

This is devastating news! I hope it doesn't last too long for you all!

You're all in my heart and prayers!

Lots of prayers coming from the east coast!

The whole thing is so frightening. It is heartening to see so many people helping and I hope there somehow the winds just STOP!!!
    Anneke and the darling Lilly

those Santa Ana winds though. they are a strong bit of nature

anyway.. I wish we washingtonians could send a bit of rain or something besides prayers. but prayers.. they can do the trick.

i am so much more than a body.

every moment is an opportunity to begin recovery.

today is tomorrow's history.,

TexanSquirrel Guest

Hope everything turns out okay...

E-mails and prayers sent.

hazel
    aka The Beastmistress
    Veterinary Technician

Vegetarian since 1974

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

I wish I had the $$$ to fly out to California and help, because I would be on a plane this morning. I HATE to fly, but I would do it in a heartbeat.

Are there any emergency funds available for such a thing, as to help volunteers with expenses?

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

Looking at the news this morning things aren't getting any better. I just pray that the winds stop and all this terrible burning stops and the animals can rebuild their homes and save their lives.

500,000+ people have been evacuated, it is just terrible.

I'm with you Mrs. J, we have had rain for the last two days and it is pouring know, I would love to send it to CA.

jules Guest

Post Re: CA Fires Emergency request

The news today in the UK about the fires!

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/2007102...e123fef_4.html

Hope they're over soon!

Mars Guest

This is from the IWRC newsletter.

I wrote the introduction below a few days ago, but now with the wild fires in Southern California burning uncontrollably, my thoughts have turned to our members and colleagues in the affected areas. Although not easy, evacuation is a simple task for most--grab your loved ones and go. Not the case for wildlife rehabilitators and sanctuaries.

A few minutes ago, I spoke to Project Wildlife's Executive Director, Lisa Culver. Their home care network consists of more than 120 sites. Almost all are in the fire zone. Although they are working diligently to relocate animals, a few have been lost to the fire. A physically and emotionally challenging time. I was thankful to hear that all of the people have been accounted for.

In the coming days and weeks, as Project Wildlife and our other colleagues in Southern California begin to assess the damage, we will keep you posted. From experience, I know that this is a community that is ready and willing to do whatever it can to help each other during times of great need. A trait that makes me proud to be a part of this field.

In the meantime, our thoughts and wishes are with those of you affected by the fires. When and if you need us, we are here.

Until then,
    Jennifer

Buddy'sMom Guest

If anyone hears of a fund that is directed towards helping the wildlife groups hit by the fire, will you post it? I can't send a lot, but I can pitch my co-workers and friends to give so that it will be enough to help out. Prayers to CA - for the human residents and the wild ones...
    Squirrelena

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.