Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on releasing my squirrel...

ayala83 Guest

Default Need advice on releasing my squirrel...

Hey, I need some advice. I have a pet squirrel who will be a year old in August and I am thinking of releasing him. I have been thinking about it for the last couple months. He has become a bit aggressive and I feel bad when I see him in his cage. He looks at me with those brown eyes and I can't help but think of him being free and able to run and play with other squirrels.

The problem is... my vet suggested I neuter him so he wouldnt become aggressive and now I am not sure if he will survive. Also, I live In NYC.... where can I find a place to release a squirrel??? I really love him (Lucky the Squirrel is his name) but he has bitten my boyfriend several times and it was so bad there was blood every where.

I enjoyed raising him... but I am dreading releasing him. I know I am one of those people who thought "He's so cute, I can keep him as a pet". And some of you hate those kinds of people... But I want to do what is right. Can anyone help me??? Thanks so much!

p.s. Here are some pictures of lucky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Need advice on releasing my squirrel...

Ask your vet, or the Zoo, what they think his chances of being accepted are. You would probably have to turn him over to a rehabber so that he could be taught to be wild again. I don't think it would be a good idea to just release him, as he isn't afraid of people and might jump on someone and bite them. Plus he needs to know how to build a nest, and how to find food and to be afraid of dogs and cats and such. A rehab facility would have to do all that.

Good luck,

muffinsquirrel

Lucky is a beautiful squirrel. My suggestion would be to dump the boyfriend, and keep Lucky. But that's probably not an option is it? I'd take him but there is just too much geography between us. Call the New York City Center for Urban Wildlife Rehabilita at 212-818-0879 and perhaps they can help you. Good Luck.
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

ayala83 Guest

Post Re: Need advice on releasing my squirrel...

Thank you so much for responding. I was not thinking of just leaving him somewhere just so you know, I would never do that... I would probably keep him before I did something like that.

I read online that I could put him in a cage outside and get him used to outdoors and being "wild" again myself, do you think its a good idea? I have a back yard and an extra cage that can stay out there... I will try the number though. Thank you soo much!

p.s. you're right, losing the boyfriend is not an option. Besides he thought I should keep him and only let him out when I am alone with him... but I still feel like that isnt enough. He just needs to be free all the time you know what I mean? He is very active.

Ayala I think you should definitely try the outside cage method....put Lucky in your largest cage and leave him outside for at least two weeks. resist the urge to play with him, don't let him back in the house, etc....just provide enough food for him and fresh water. He needs to experience rain, wind, chilly nights, all the things he will get used to when he is free. Also put lots of branches and twigs from maples, oak, birch, and poplar trees if you can, into his cage so he learns to strip the bark and munch on the buds. He should get wilder and wilder after awhile -- he may "body-slam" the cage when you or your boyfriend approaches. This is GOOD. Try this method before you call anyone in the city -- I am afraid they may take him from you because it is illegal to keep a squirrel in New York City or the five boroughs without a rehabber's license! If they take him, they may euthanize him. Let's try to wild him up, OK? Keep us posted!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Sorry about my advice above. I didn't realize they would do that in New York. By all means, see if you can 'wild' him yourself!

muffinsquirrel

Ayala, You definately don't want to get your squirrel fixed. He would live a life of being constantly chased off by other squirrels, and never be able to settle in a nest. In addition, putting him ouside in a small cage sounds a little cruel. Imagine how scared he would be when a predator comes by pawing at him in the middle of the night. He needs space to climb, and a shelter to hide in. You'd be better off to find a rehabber to take him to. Most rehabbers have a cage that is at least 8' X 8' X 8' to allow them to run, climb, and get acclimated. Plus, he would have a nest box to get out of the elements. A rehabber would be better prepared to give it a try.

ayala83 Guest

Red face Re: Need advice on releasing my squirrel...

He was already neutered about five months ago. And The cage would have a nesting box in it for him to hide in and it isnt that small. Besides... I am not going to call a rehabber if they are going to kill him because he is illegal in NYC. I tried calling a few and no one is ever home or the numbers just arent connected. I think I am going to stick with getting him more wild, using the outdoor method. I have to call my vet back today to see what he thinks and if he can help. I mean all of this is still confusing to me I am very new to all of this... I dont know...

Quote Originally Posted by ayala83
    He was already neutered about five months ago. And The cage would have a nesting box in it for him to hide in and it isnt that small. Besides... I am not going to call a rehabber if they are going to kill him because he is illegal in NYC. I tried calling a few and no one is ever home or the numbers just arent connected. I think I am going to stick with getting him more wild, using the outdoor method. I have to call my vet back today to see what he thinks and if he can help. I mean all of this is still confusing to me I am very new to all of this... I dont know...
    Ayala I don't think a rehabber would be likely to kill your squirrel, it's Animal Control or the Dept of Health who might. Rehabbers in NY aren't allowed to euthanize, first of all, so don't worry about that. Have you tried the Squirrel Sanctuary? They're not far from you.....www.squirrelsanctuary.org. They may have a large pre-release cage where Lucky can find out how to be a wild squirrel
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Island Rehabber is right. Most of us that rehab do it for the love of the animals. Euthanizing is only done if a squirrel cannot fend for itself. She has a good suggestion, too. Perhaps the sanctuary may have another orphan of the same age, and they can be released together. Sibblings typically nest together as buddies until they get the hang of things. If not, I'm sure you can find a rehabber that has one, or maybe can release him with a litter during the height of squirrel season in late summer.

If you do decide to try it yourself, here's a couple of pointers. I don't know how large your cage is, but if you cannot stand inside of it, then it's probably not big enough for him to hone his survival skills. Your release cage needs to be large enough that he can climb limbs and develop huge jumping skills to avoid danger. Another squirrel will chase him after he's released, and he needs to know how to make those huge jumps.

He needs natural food in the bottom of the cage so he can learn to forage for breakfast over a large area. He's not going to have a food bowl when another male runs him out of your yard. Also, if he's developed a tolerance for dogs or cats, he needs to be broken of that. He needs to learn to hate you, or he might walk up to a neighbor and they'll think he's sick/dangerous.

He's got a lot to learn, and its worth trying to get him wild so he can have his freedom. But, if he doesn't wild up, don't release him, as he would have it too tough.

Default I need advice

My 8yr old male squirrel now attacks and bites me real hard and draws blood, he use to cuddle every morning and night but now attacks me. What can I do ?

Default Re: I need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2664 View Post
    My 8yr old male squirrel now attacks and bites me real hard and draws blood, he use to cuddle every morning and night but now attacks me. What can I do ?
    If nothing specifically has changed about YOU - new perfume, new soap or shampoo - scent if enormously important and if you have changed something, stop that. But my guess is that you have allowed him to stash things in his cage or room or wherever you keep him - particularly nuts. The more nuts you let them stash the nastier thay will get because they HAVE to protect their stash. The only correct number of stashed nuts is ZERO. Move him out of the room where he cannot see what is happening and crash the place - remove every single stash, and recheck daily and remove anything that is there. Nuts should be such a wonderful rare treat that they eat them the instant you hand them over. Stashing means you are giving too many.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (06-21-2020), Rob2664 (06-21-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If nothing specifically has changed about YOU - new perfume, new soap or shampoo - scent if enormously important and if you have changed something, stop that. But my guess is that you have allowed him to stash things in his cage or room or wherever you keep him - particularly nuts. The more nuts you let them stash the nastier thay will get because they HAVE to protect their stash. The only correct number of stashed nuts is ZERO. Move him out of the room where he cannot see what is happening and crash the place - remove every single stash, and recheck daily and remove anything that is there. Nuts should be such a wonderful rare treat that they eat them the instant you hand them over. Stashing means you are giving too many.
    Will that upset him more taking away his stash ?

[QUOTE=Rob2664;1317321]Will that upset him more taking away his stash ?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Will that upset him more taking away his stash ?
    I grew a beard over winter first time ever would that upset him ?

He has never been gaged up and has always run the house freely, he even has a nest on my headboard and sleeps there every night. Every morning he comes down and snuggles with me or nits away at my skin, but only nipples and never bites. Just a couple months ago he began attacking me, his tail all puffed out and be nattering at me than grabs me and bites me drawing blood. I really don't know why he is doing this, he cuddle with me all the time. I can be holding home or cuddle him and all of a sudden he will attack ! The only thing different about me is I grew a beard over winter. Would that set him off ?

Do what CritterMom said. I bet his stash is somewhere near your bed. Or wherever he attacks you. Is it always in the same area or seem to be random? If random he probably has more than one stash. Check that FIRST.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

Rob2664 (06-21-2020)

I cleaned out his stash spots today . Thx for the advice !

Out of curiosity, did the stash spots match up with the attack spots?
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

No they were not, but I cleaned out his stash spots anyways . He attacked me both times on the same day, once up in the bedroom first thing in morning and than again that evening in the kitchen. He has bitten me before but nothing like this time, this time he wrapped his legs around my arm and attacked it biting right into a vain causing blood to shoot it. This is not like him at all !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1