Thread: My squirrel is sick!!!

Sporktastic Guest

Exclamation My squirrel is sick!!!

A few weeks ago I found 3 baby squirrels. 2 boys and 1 girl. We've given them food and everything. Now the girl (Named NutterButter) is sick. We just found her lying in the cage. She looked dead but my mum say's she's breath. She won't eat or drink.

My cat use likes to go up to the cage and sniff them, so I'm afraid she might have bit her or something.

I need help ASAP.

Default Re: My squirrel is sick!!!

Can you see any signs of the cat having bit her? Look for punctures in her skin anywhere. Look for any sign of swelling or infection anywhere on her....there is not much in your posting to go on, since we don't know when she got sick or if the cat did bite her. I can tell you that cat's mouths have so much lethal bacteria to squirrels that it wouldn't take long for your squirrel to die if the cat did bite her. If not -- and we hope not! -- see if there is anything stuck in her throat? You should absolutely call a wildlife veterinarian NOW, if possible! She may be able to get a quick shot of antibiotics and recover.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

If she is cold warm her up...has she been eating solid food or still nursing??
    Is she gasping for breath every few seconds?? If she is then it's a gasping reflex and will die very soon. Sorry but true.
    Is she making any sounds in her chest or from her mouth while breathing??? If she is then it could be phnumonia and needs Amoxi drops from a vet or rehabber ASAP. Reply right away!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Sporktastic Guest

We've already called someone, but no one will pick up the darn phone!!!

Sporktastic Guest

Unhappy Re: My squirrel is sick!!!

She just died.

Oh.....I am so sorry for your loss. It's painful to lose such a sweet little one. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Rebecca <
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Snoopi77 Guest

I am so very sorry that the baby died. My heart goes out to you. Know that you did everything you could.

Oh dammit, I am so sorry this happened....I am sorry for you and for the little one, and for her brothers who will miss her. Keep a close eye on them, OK? Watch for anything at all that seems strange or 'wrong' and get them to a vet. Sometimes it's an internal parasite (coccidia, etc.) and can spread to other squirrels. Again, I'm so sorry.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Sporktastic Guest

Thank you all for helping me.

But my mum say's we can't take care of them anymore. So if I don't find someone to take them ASAP, she's going to just put them outside.

Please do not just put them outside. You should be able to locate a licensed rehabilitator in your area. Go to http://www.michigandnr.com/dlr/, and just start calling on the list until you find somebody. Even if you can only reach somebody not in your area, they will help you find somebody ASAP.

Also, check with all the veternarians and with the Humane Society - they often know who will take them.

Good luck finding someone - I would hate to see the babies just put out to die.

muffinsquirrel

Hey Sport!!
    How did it go with the rehabbers I sent you?? I am hoping they can at least refer a rehabber in your area. I've been thinking about you all night and how upset you must be. I know you were trying to do the right thing by those squirrels and asking for help is a good thing. We are all here to help. If worst comes to worst I'll pay to have them shipped here. I am such a softy for the quadruped!!! I have my doubt about the 2 legged kind!!! Hee Hee!
    Rebecca <

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.