Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: releasing rehabbed babies?

Default Re: releasing rehabbed babies?

now for todayís updates! i hope no one minds that i use this thread to track the days.

today was day 6 and i think iím slowly settling into a routine. i need to get back on track with sleep ó i think iíve been getting 3 hours since we picked them up. i wasnít expecting how much time cleaning would take!!! dishes, laundry, sweeping, and wiping down ó ouf!

iím really happy with how pichi was doing today. sheís still territorial with the others but she spent much less time hiding after getting her formula and HHBís. sheís slowly getting more comfortable with me because she associates me with formula. she still lunges and hides behind her tail at first but after i put my hand out she relaxes.

she LOVES the formula. she even stole a syringe out of the mug and tried to feed herself bahaha but i grabbed from her real quick.

i didnít think daisy would be interested in formula still but he was trying to steal pichiís formula so i ended up coming back to give him 15ccís too. iím trying so hard to weigh them, they donít stay still for a second!

as for the other six, they were being curious about me but will still go hide in the nesting boxes while iím in there. the growling has reduced at least haha

today was the first hot day in a while but not hot enough for any pancaking. i noticed them
    watching the trees a lot and at some points it seemed like they were bored. do squirrels in enclosures get bored? or is it just a squirrel thing? sometimes i see my wilds staring so it didnít worry me at first but today i was wondering if they want to be free already.

i have some antlers from chrisís squirrel store so i drilled them into the walls for them to chew on. IMMEDIATE success haha they were fighting a little over the antlers so i think iím going to get a couple more.

i have three water bottles and three bowls set up and put new sticks in every day! luckily iíve been collecting fallen limbs from storms ó they really love them. i need to go foraging for fresh limbs though. theyíve also been getting wild plants. iím holding off on flowers for now so itís mostly been green stuff (grass, leaves, sticks, moss).

this evening one of the greys bullied pichi out of her nest so sheís sleeping in a makeshift nest she quickly put together. iím so proud of her! her limp from day 2 is totally gone now but iím worried about how much she and the others fight. they generally keep their distance from puchi and iíve occasionally seen puchi play with the two black squirrels. but usually itís a lot of growling at each other.

i know iím probably getting ahead of myself but when do you think portal day can be? the way theyíd all stop to stare at the trees made me feel like iím trapping them. it IS going to be cloudy and grey in the next few days so iím guessing not for another few weeks?

thank you all again

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astrll from:

olorin19 (06-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    I believe you were right-on with that interpretation!

Thanks for your help with Astril's eight baby Squirrels and for your presence on TSB in general, Olorin!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Just paying it forward - and right back at you!

TSB has helped me immensely with my squirrels, and I try to lighten the load of the real experts in situations where my level of experience seems like a good fit.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by astrll View Post
    that’s kind of the daily routine now. does it seem okay?
    Three things -

#1 - Even when I am overwintering squirrels (meaning I have them in an indoor enclosure for 8+ months), I do not change their bedding a single time. I just wait until they move to their release cage, then wash everything then. Squirrels are remarkably clean when it comes to their nest. I cannot remember any of the bedding ever smelling of pee, and I do not recall ever finding even a single poop in their bedding.
    So, if it were me, no way would I be washing their bedding every day!

#2 - As for sweeping up inside their cage: most of the cages I have used for raising young squirrels were not easy for me to enter - in may cases entry was not really possible. So my daily cleanup was more about sweeping up any debris that got out of the cage and not worrying so much about the cage itself.

#3 - As for heating: Other squirrels in your area that were born at the same time as these guys are surviving just fine without heat. These guys did spend some of their "childhood" indoors, so a transition with a heater may well be a good idea. But I do wonder whether (or for how long) this is really necessary. I have watched squirrels this age (3-4 months) that were born around here in say August running around outside in quite cold winter temperatures and being fine. When I overwinter a squirrel for release, because it has lived indoors I definitely take outdoor temperature into account when deciding when to move them outside. I am usually doing this in early April, so overnight temperatures might get as low as 40 F and into the 40s and 50s during the day.

Get some sleep yourself!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

astrll (06-20-2024)

now for todayís updates! i hope no one minds that i use this thread to track the days.

this evening one of the greys bullied pichi out of her nest so sheís sleeping in a makeshift nest she quickly put together. iím so proud of her! her limp from day 2 is totally gone now but iím worried about how much she and the others fight. they generally keep their distance from puchi and iíve occasionally seen puchi play with the two black squirrels. but usually itís a lot of growling at each other.

i know iím probably getting ahead of myself but when do you think portal day can be? the way theyíd all stop to stare at the trees made me feel like iím trapping them. it IS going to be cloudy and grey in the next few days so iím guessing not for another few weeks?
    #1 - I have used these many of my own threads to keep track - it has often been helpful to me when dealing with a similar situations a few years later, especially in cases of wounds and other injuries - plus perhaps it may help someone else in a similar situation

#2 - Perhaps add some more sleeping options with adequate bedding so nobody needs to sleep in a makeshift bed?

#3 - Do you have any sense of which of these 8 are the 6 from the same littter? And whether the other 2 are littermates? And are all 8 more or less the same age? I have raised mostly singletons plus sibling pairs twice. And even with two siblings, there can be fighting and/or bullying. I overwintered a sister/brother a few years back and at about 6 months had to build a second cage and separate them, as the girl was really territorial and would attack her brother. No injuries, but I felt it was better to seprate before things got any worse.

#4 - I would strongly urge you to take your time before releasing. Make sure everyone is healthy, well nourished, robust, etc. A extra month or two of captivity now may well translate into a much longer and better life after release.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

astrll (06-20-2024)

i have three water bottles and three bowls set up and put new sticks in every day! luckily iíve been collecting fallen limbs from storms ó they really love them. i need to go foraging for fresh limbs though. theyíve also been getting wild plants. iím holding off on flowers for now so itís mostly been green stuff (grass, leaves, sticks, moss).
    Hi Astril:
    Everyone WANTS your updates and, after all, this is your thread; using it to "track the days" is an excellent means to present your updates!

A suggestion in regard to obtaining branches and other "stuff": from the wild; oftentimes they can harbor bugs of sorts that you do NOT want to get on any of the Squirrels or transferred to bedding or whatever. I would suggest the you at least soak these completely in a tub filled with water and leave them there for 10-15 minutes so any lurking "bugs" will leave the branches and come to the surface of the water to get air. After that period of time, I would the suggest hosing them down in an area where there is little likelihood of anything further getting on the branches (or other "wild stuff" you have collected).
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

astrll (06-20-2024), scoopysnack (06-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by olorin19 View Post
    #1 - I have used these many of my own threads to keep track - it has often been helpful to me when dealing with a similar situations a few years later, especially in cases of wounds and other injuries - plus perhaps it may help someone else in a similar situation

#2 - Perhaps add some more sleeping options with adequate bedding so nobody needs to sleep in a makeshift bed?

#3 - Do you have any sense of which of these 8 are the 6 from the same littter? And whether the other 2 are littermates? And are all 8 more or less the same age? I have raised mostly singletons plus sibling pairs twice. And even with two siblings, there can be fighting and/or bullying. I overwintered a sister/brother a few years back and at about 6 months had to build a second cage and separate them, as the girl was really territorial and would attack her brother. No injuries, but I felt it was better to seprate before things got any worse.

#4 - I would strongly urge you to take your time before releasing. Make sure everyone is healthy, well nourished, robust, etc. A extra month or two of captivity now may well translate into a much longer and better life after release.
    THANKS and especially for #4!!!
    Regards,
    StS

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

astrll (06-20-2024), olorin19 (06-20-2024)

So, if it were me, no way would I be washing their bedding every day!
    oh! sorry i wasnít clear ó i donít change their bedding i just change the blankets on the ground! i put down blankets for them to jump around on and every night iíll change the blankets because there will be pee and poop on them.

most of the cages I have used for raising young squirrels were not easy for me to enter - in may cases entry was not really possible.
    i was reading through the forum and saw that after a week in the enclosure, we should limit contact as much as possible. so iíll try to limit the cleaning as much as possible after today and only enter if i need to give formula, food, or water. with eight squirrels it gets really messy in there though haha!

But I do wonder whether (or for how long) this is really necessary. I have watched squirrels this age (3-4 months) that were born around here in say August running around outside in quite cold winter temperatures and being fine.
    you might be right! today is our last day of sun so iím not using the heater today. itís going to get up to 28įC so eventually iíll turn the fan on low. after today itís going to be cloudy but warm so i donít imagine iíll need the heater anymore.
    Name:  IMG_6103.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  60.8 KB

oh good idea! the second nesting box was empty but i feel like she didnít want to be in a space that the other seven were in previously.

#3 - Do you have any sense of which of these 8 are the 6 from the same littter? And whether the other 2 are littermates? And are all 8 more or less the same age?
    yes actually! the wildlife center added two black squirrels to the litter (daisy and bunki) ó so the rest of the six are muchiís kids. i think daisy and bunki are pretty close in age to muchiís litter. bunki seems to want to play with pichi a lot ó sometimes pichi will play along with him and even let him into her nest, but usually itís growls and chasing.

i figured! i canít wait for them to be running through the trees, iím so excited for them. until then iíll take my time

after today, they will have been with us for a week!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astrll from:

olorin19 (06-20-2024)

i donít change their bedding i just change the blankets on the ground! i put down blankets for them to jump around on and every night iíll change the blankets because there will be pee and poop on them.

i was reading through the forum and saw that after a week in the enclosure, we should limit contact as much as possible. so iíll try to limit the cleaning as much as possible after today and only enter if i need to give formula, food, or water. with eight squirrels it gets really messy in there though haha!
    I use bins with mulch at the bottom. Most squirrels quickly adapt to using these to pee and poop. Then all you need to do is swap out the mulch as needed. That may be pretty often with 8 squirrels, but since you are in and out every day, just have multiple bins that you swap out - bring in a bin with fresh mulch, take out other bin with older mulch, then switch back the next day with more fresh mulch. You may need more than one bin with that many squirrels.

As far as the amount of contact, you will likely find different opinions on what is ideal. So, for what is it worth:

The majority of squirrels I have raised and released have happily continued contact with me after release - not just approaching for food, but perching on me to eat, hiding nuts in my clothes, crawling into my hoodie, etc. And I have never felt like their comfort with me has hindered their ability to thrive in the wild. They certainly have no problem distinguishing me or my wife or kids from other people, and only come to us. I actually think their familiarity is a huge advantage after release - not just being better fed, but if/when they are injured I am much more likely to be able to assist them with antibiotics, etc. I have had quite a few prior releases that have ended up back inside temporarily to get nursed back to health - whether actually inside, confined to my sun porch, or confined to their release cage.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

astrll (06-21-2024), scoopysnack (06-21-2024)

day 8! itís REALLY hot today. the babies havenít really been very active and have only eaten a small amount of their HHBís. is that normal on hot days?

i know i keep saying this but they seem bored

day 8! itís REALLY hot today. the babies havenít really been very active and have only eaten a small amount of their HHBís. is that normal on hot days?

i know i keep saying this but they seem bored
    On hot days, squirrels are likely to be out earlier in the morning and later in the evening.

If it is really hot, you might try a fan, although that may well make them scared/nervous and not be worth it.

I would suggest putting fresh green branches in their cage - It will give them something to chew on. Plus, if you use somewhat larger branches, they will be able to climb on them. I am not sure how sturdy the wire is in the catio, but the cages I build have quite sturdy wire so branches leaning against the wire do not damage the wire and provide the young squirrels with the chance to chew and climb.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to olorin19 from:

scoopysnack (06-22-2024)

astrllís sister here! i just finished feeding pichi and daisy their milk and HHB blocks, pichi was falling asleep eating her block and i managed to give 3 others a block with some tongs and they took them but the rest still growl and stay hidden in their box from us haha

as i was coming out, 2 raccoons were coming up our main tree and theyíre sleeping at the top now. i tried to get them to leave but once they come in the morning, they tend not to leave for around 3 hours. iím sitting out by the enclosure now and other regular squirrel visitors are foraging nearby and coming onto the balcony like normal. i know the raccoons are likely just wanting some nutty treats but iím not sure if itís alright to leave the babies alone with them so nearby. i could close the enclosure and monitor to make sure they donít go near the enclosure but hhhhh feels risky

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to scoopysnack from:

olorin19 (06-22-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by scoopysnack View Post
    astrllís sister here! i just finished feeding pichi and daisy their milk and HHB blocks, pichi was falling asleep eating her block and i managed to give 3 others a block with some tongs and they took them but the rest still growl and stay hidden in their box from us haha

as i was coming out, 2 raccoons were coming up our main tree and theyíre sleeping at the top now. i tried to get them to leave but once they come in the morning, they tend not to leave for around 3 hours. iím sitting out by the enclosure now and other regular squirrel visitors are foraging nearby and coming onto the balcony like normal. i know the raccoons are likely just wanting some nutty treats but iím not sure if itís alright to leave the babies alone with them so nearby. i could close the enclosure and monitor to make sure they donít go near the enclosure but hhhhh feels risky
    Early in this thread, several of us strongly suggested making sure the cage had two layers of wire and was thoroughly impervious to predators (including from below). Having only seen photos, I am not sure if this happened, i.e. whether the catio is actually capable of keeping raccoons out.

I have read horrible stories here at TSB and elsewhere of raccoons killing young squirrels that were in their enclosure. So please know that this is a very real threat that must be taken seriously.

What do you mean by "close the enclosure" ? Is the catio within some other structure? If so, then I would definitely close that at night, as that is when raccoons are more active.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

MyBushyTail (Yesterday), scoopysnack (06-22-2024)

sorry for the delay, had to jump into work! i stayed out with the squirrels and the raccoons left within the hour and everything was alright. By closing the enclosure i meant covering it up with the blankets but it worked out fine and the squirrels didn’t even suspect anything was happening haha

Quote Originally Posted by scoopysnack View Post
    sorry for the delay, had to jump into work! i stayed out with the squirrels and the raccoons left within the hour and everything was alright. By closing the enclosure i meant covering it up with the blankets but it worked out fine and the squirrels didnít even suspect anything was happening haha

The issue is not whether the squirrels noticed the raccoons, but whether or not the raccoons are able to get to the squirrels.

If raccoons are able to reach their paws through the wire into the enclosure, or force their way inside if the wire itself is too flimsy, then the young squirrels are at serious risk.

And make sure the latch is secure as well, as raccoons are quite clever at getting into things.

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

astrll (Yesterday), MyBushyTail (Yesterday), scoopysnack (06-22-2024)

sorry for the sparse updates! i got the flu and was out for a couple days

and sorry for the confusion! the enclosure came with 1/2Ē chicken wire on the inside and then we put our own 1/2Ē chicken wire on the outside. and then there are the blankets and we clean out food every night.

i finally got daisy and pichi (kind of) to sit on the scale! theyíve been bonding with us more and more. they wouldnít go into a container for me to weigh them in and they wouldnít let me hold them long enough to place them in a container. so this morning i just brought the scale inside and had them sit on it while baiting them with a sliced almond. so at 7am daisy is a firm 334 grams and pichi is approximately 290 grams.

i couldnít get a firm number on pichi because daisy like to bother her when sheís not in her nest. she sat on it for a solid two seconds before daisy wanted to see what was going on haha but before he came to bother her the scale was teetering between 290Ė294 grams.

so going by the 5Ė7% rule, daisy should be getting 16.7Ė23.4 ccís of formula and (rounding down) pichi should be getting 14.5Ė20.3 ccís. weíve been giving 15Ė16 each (slowly increasing amounts).

weíre gonna try and weigh them before each feeding now. theyíve become familiar with us enough that theyíll follow our hands easily. itís when they want to bother each other that it gets tough

today is day 8! itís gonna be cloudy and cool today. scoopysnack is off work today and i had to take a sick day sheís been doing most of the work while i rested on friday and saturday (my off days). i canít imagine going at this alone wow

right now theyíre all gobbling up their HHBís! thank you all again for your guidance

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astrll from:

olorin19 (Yesterday)

WOW big 180 from this morning ó tonight we went at 6:30 pm to give them their formula and pichi was being crazy wild! this is the first time she drew blood from me haha

she was climbing all over me and scratching me and wouldnít stop until i got some formula in her mouth. even then she was taking the formula aggressively.

daisy was being a sweetheart and took his formula quietly.

after formula, we gave pichi her HHBís and she calmed down.

i didnít notice sheíd even bit me until i saw i was getting blood all over the enclosure. at first i thought it was pichi but it was me. we washed it all away. tomorrow might be time to feed through the enclosure instead of going in.

needless to say, i couldnít weigh anybody tonight

WOW big 180 from this morning ó tonight we went at 6:30 pm to give them their formula and pichi was being crazy wild! this is the first time she drew blood from me haha

she was climbing all over me and scratching me and wouldnít stop until i got some formula in her mouth. even then she was taking the formula aggressively.

daisy was being a sweetheart and took his formula quietly.

after formula, we gave pichi her HHBís and she calmed down.

i didnít notice sheíd even bit me until i saw i was getting blood all over the enclosure. at first i thought it was pichi but it was me. we washed it all away. tomorrow might be time to feed through the enclosure instead of going in.

needless to say, i couldnít weigh anybody tonight
    Are you sure you were bitten rather than scratched? If there was a bite, there would be teeth marks, whereas with scratches you get either little micropunctures where a claw tip goes in or long scratches.

Having been bitten a few times over the years, I have ALWAYS known that I was bitten immediately. Whereas with scratches, I have been scratched many, many times and not relaized it abit first, even though there was blood.

When handling squirrels that climb on me, I wear enough layers to where their claws do not pierce my clothing and get to my skin. At this age, sweatpants then a hoodie over a long sleeve t-shirt is usually sufficinet.

ALWAYS tuck the top layers into the bottom layers - believe me, a squirrel getting up under your shirt on your skin is not fun.

When they get a bit older, I add long johns under the sweat pants and another t-shirt as well.

Depending upon the squirrel, a beanie or having the hood up also helps. Or a towel over the back of the neck.

When you are getting scratched (rather than bitten) by squirrels, it is almost never on purpose, i.e. they are trying you. You are simply a tree that they are climbing.

There have been squirrels who tended to take short cuts across the back of my neck or occasionally my face. A small towel over the back of the neck or the hoodie up helps. Having been scratched a few times on the face, with some squirrels I have worn clear safety goggles just to make sure I do not get scratched in the eye.

When I am raising a squirrel, I pretty much always have lots of scratches. Neosporin is your friend.

When feeding formula at an age when they do not want to be held but want to stand on their own, I usually get a cheap pair of cotton gloves (maybe cut off the finger tips) then wear these. That way, when they perch on or run over your hands to get at the formula, you do not get scratched. At least not as much.

I would not worry about weighing these guys at this point.

And with so many of them, feeding through the wire makes more sense to me.

32. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

astrll (Today), scoopysnack (Today)

it was definitely a bite haha! thereís a deep gash in my finger that looks like teeth. i think i didnít notice because i was too focused on making sure she didnít get hurt

day 11! giving formula in the morning is so much more calmer than in the evening. we went into the enclosure to give them their formula. daisy was wide awake already but pichi was still sleeping when we went in. when she poked her head out, one of her eyes wouldnít open and it scared me but then she cleaned her face and it opened. i didnít know squirrels get sticky eyes in the morning too!

daisy got his regular 20 and pichi got her 16. after that we put out everyoneís HHBís. iím on the last bag i ordered more but i think the timing might be one day off. weíre going through these blocks quick!

itís nice and sunny so we decided to try uncovering the roof so that only 2/5 walls were under blankets. they seemed scared so i covered the roof again.

after they finish their HHBís weíll put out their veggies!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345