Thread: Two grey squirrels 9 wk old got diarrhea about 5 days ago.

Unhappy Two grey squirrels 9 wk old got diarrhea about 5 days ago.

I'm home rescuing 2 grey squirrels since they were 4 wks old .
    They are 9 weeks old now
    I'm using fox valley formula 32/40 and now a few veggies, squirrel block
    About 5 days ago they had soft stool.
    It's mucus now
    I tried About 4 drops of pepto 3 x the last 2 days
    And am giving electrolytes 1 full meal this evening and tried earlier in the day but they refused it the first time.
    Nothing else.
    And I'll continue a few meals tomorrow.
    I'm really concerned
    I thought it started bc of adding block and veggies but I'm not sure.
    Please respond ASAP
    I am hoping and praying I can foster them till they are old enough to release
    Thanks so much in advance

Default Re: Two grey squirrels 9 wk old got diarrhea about 5 days ago.

The Fox Valley 32/40 is recommended for use up to 4 weeks. Fox Valley 20/50 is usually used from 4 weeks through wean...

Is the opened powdered formula being stored in the freezer or the refrigerator? I know it does not say refrigeration is required, but we see it go rancid quite frequently at room temperatures... I suppose a difference in what "room temperature" means or maybe the amount of humidity or something. Regardless, storing in the freezer can prevent it's going bad. If being stored at room temp, maybe sniff the powder to see if it smells rancid... the Fox Valley usually has nice vanilla smell (though for a while I think it was banana smell?).

If you can post pictures of this mucous poo (I know, gross) that may be very helpful. It is also helpful to know (even grosser!) if it smells bad.

It is recommended to that the first solids foods are a high quality rodent block and only after they are eating... actually eating and not simply shredding the block, that vegetables are introduced. What brand of block are they getting?

Also, not washing vegetables is also another common cause of diarrhea. I use a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water to wash then rinse the veggies.
    Squirrel Advocate

I don't have a picture of their stool.
    It's yellow and mucus..
    It doesn't smell.
    Unless I can't smell it.
    I just bought the powdered formula.
    Should I order the 50 formula?
    Can I do something with the 32 to make it better.
    I just opened and used twice.
    The soft stool started with the first veggie I gave at avocado 2 wks ago at 6 wks old.

Can it be the formula ?
    I'll order it immediately abd try to get it rushed.

If they have the mucousy diarrhea again take a pic and post it.

How long have they had the diarrhea?

I am unsure if you are saying it is the poop that does not smell or the Fox Valley 32/40, but I doubt the formula is causing this if it is a newly opened bag.... the change to the Fox Valley 20/50 is to adjust the protein and fat contents (that is what the numbers "32/40" and "20/50" represent) to be more in line with the needs of older squirrels. If you order the Fox Valley 20/50, you can mix the formula 1 part 32/40 and 1 part 20/50 until the 32/40 is used up. I'd not worry about placing a rush order for the 20/50, they should be fine a few more days.

A note about avocado, only the "meat" and not the skin or pit should be given to the squirrels. Avocado skin, pits, leaves and bark contain a fungicide substance called persin which is toxic to rodents... a squirrel eating the skin or pits can result in diarrhea.

Did they by chance get the skin and or pits of the avocado?
    Squirrel Advocate