Thread: 4.5-5 week old squirrel with horrid yellow diarrhea

Default 4.5-5 week old squirrel with horrid yellow diarrhea

What in the world is this? He was pooping fine up until a cpl days ago, it smells horrid. He had a pseudomonas infection in two wounds. I had to lance one about a week or so ago and got .3mm of pus out of the wound, which has since healed nicely. Could this be related? I've re-started him on Baytril but it's not seeming to help. Any ideas? He still jumps around and wants to play so I don't think it is causing him a lot of discomfort.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: 4.5-5 week old squirrel with horrid yellow diarrhea

What formula is he on?
    Bumping your thread
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Knowing which formula is being fed, the amounts and the squirrels weight is the place to start unraveling the puzzle IMO...
    Squirrel Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara101972 View Post
    What in the world is this? He was pooping fine up until a cpl days ago, it smells horrid. He had a pseudomonas infection in two wounds. I had to lance one about a week or so ago and got .3mm of pus out of the wound, which has since healed nicely. Could this be related? I've re-started him on Baytril but it's not seeming to help. Any ideas? He still jumps around and wants to play so I don't think it is causing him a lot of discomfort.
    Sorry, here's more info!

For those worried about the formula he's been on PRM since a few days old, that's not it. I was observing him and saw he was chewing on the undyed wood chips (Aspen) I had put in with him, which was about the time this started. I removed them and washed his cage, could that be it? His mom kicked him and his sister out of the nest the female had squirrel bite marks all over her head and didn't survive. Could it be the chips? Could he be allergic?

Cedar (Aspen) chips are never good and can cause respiratory issues. No so much reds, but most others.

Had he recently received antibiotics for the infection?

Can you clarify what "PRM" is... maybe I am the only one that does not know? If that is Puppy Replacement Milk, it is important to know exactly which puppy formula.

Overfeeding can result in light colored diarrhea.

If this has continued for several days and you are confident it is not overfeeding or the formula or other causes I'd treat him with Metro (metronidazole). Of course, that is a shot in the dark not having much specific information... but my go to for intestinal infections (bacterial / protozoal)...
    Squirrel Advocate

It's esbilac, not the issue. I thought PRM was common for puppy replacement milk .....? I have him in a clean cage with towels and will see how he does with that.