Thread: Medicating Adult Squirrel

Hybrid View

Default Re: Medicating Adult Squirrel

Is this a captive squirrel or an outdoor squirrel who is just friendly to you?

Also, what is the name of the med and what is the size of the dose?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Is this a captive squirrel or an outdoor squirrel who is just friendly to you?

Also, what is the name of the med and what is the size of the dose?
    This is currently a captive squirrel. She is to take 0.3ml Meloxicam and 0.4ml Clindamycin. The Clindamycin is what I'm worried about... it smells AWFUL!

Yeah, Clindamycin is nasty.

Well, the first thing I would try is some grenadine. It is a pomegranate flavored syrup that is the reason Cosmopolitans are pink. Any place that sells liquor will have it. It is NOT alcoholic. Rose's is the big brand and it is about $3.99 for a bottle. They sell super expensive stuff that is actual cooked down pomegranate syrup - Rose's is artificially flavored and perfect for this.

Pour a tiny bit in a dish or bottle cap. Get your meds all measured up in the syringe - so you have that liquid up to the 0.4ml line. Then, place the tip of the syringe in the grenadine and pull up at least an equal amount - that would be up to 0.8ml.

Now, when you stick the syringe in the mouth the first thing the squirrel will taste is the grenadine, which they like.

It ***MIGHT*** help.

She isn't going to come up and eat it on her own, you are probably going to have to do some "handling." to accomplish this.

Great idea! I may just have to buy the rest of the stuff to make Cosmo's while I'm there, lol! I'll probably need a drink afterwards!

Thank you for the advice!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chfields from:

CritterMom (05-03-2024)

CM, do you think grenadine would hide cipro taste on half-shell walnuts or pecan nuts ?? (no way a syringe for Ms. Mo.)

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    CM, do you think grenadine would hide cipro taste on half-shell walnuts or pecan nuts ?? (no way a syringe for Ms. Mo.)
    Maybe. I imagine it would dry sticky and would probably take longer to do that. I would sub the grenadine for all of the water. You will need to work it longer to dissolve without the water but I have had people use it with cipro by syringe and it did the trick.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

supersquirrelgirl (05-03-2024)

Maybe. I imagine it would dry sticky and would probably take longer to do that. I would sub the grenadine for all of the water. You will need to work it longer to dissolve without the water but I have had people use it with cipro by syringe and it did the trick.
    Thank you. I never considered replacing water when dissolving pill. I'll experiment using smallest strength cipro pill.

Hi CritterMom,

Made a cipro suspension using only Rose's Grenadine (no water). Very pretty color but very YUK, so bitter. No way any squirrel would eat that! I was really hoping with that much grenadine it would drown out the cipro....No way! I added 1/4 tsp sugar to the mix and no change to taste. Cipro is just too aweful and so hard to hide. Back to the drawing board for me.

Mr.SSG