Thread: Calcium Supplement for Wild Squirrels

Default Calcium Supplement for Wild Squirrels

We have many wild squirrels now coming to our backyard for nuts and seeds. Every morning, its like a 24x7 squirrel buffet that opens at 7am. There must be 10~15 squirrels lounging around on ground, fence, and house waiting. As soon as the backdoor opens, everyone comes to get walnut & pecans and then quickly go one of the many plates of sunflower seeds. The consumption is high. I have read on TSB that feeding nuts and seeds should be done in moderation. Well certainly it's not done in moderation. They have endless chatter while eating (hope they're saying something nice ??).

Since they are all wild ones, should I worry about balance nutrition ?? Was thinking of HHB blocks but these guys would eat a bag a day! I thought of making some walnut/pecan balls with calcium carbonate/citrate mix in. Something simple and healthy.

So questions:

1) Is it needed for wild squirrels ??

2) Any simple ideas using calcium supplements ??

Thank you. Mr.SSG

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

Diggie's Friend (04-26-2024)

Default Re: Calcium Supplement for Wild Squirrels

Good question! In the wild, there is no need to worry about calcium. In the wild. They eat a well rounded dirt with our treats.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

supersquirrelgirl (04-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Good question! In the wild, there is no need to worry about calcium. In the wild. They eat a well rounded dirt with our treats.
    Hi SammyMom, Thank you for responding. Many of these guys come for breakfast buffet and then sleep mid-day then come back for dinner snack before finally disappearing for the night. Then repeat the next day. Honestly, the fox squirrels are sooo friendly - they like to hold your fingers while eating. The greys are smaller and quite hyper - jump all over.

I'm just worried that my feeding nuts & seeds is indirectly causing harm with unbalance diet.

MR.SSG

We feed many, many squirrels daily. They get a variety of nuts and peanuts. I also wondered about a calcium imbalance by giving all the nuts. I decided to make up boo balls and my husband gives them out before any nuts are given in the afternoon when everyone shows up for food. I grind up Harlan Teklad block and mix it with veggie/fruit baby food, powdered Fox Valley Formula and Ultraboost, ground nuts and avocado or coconut oil to hold it all together. Then we roll them in balls and store them in the fridge. We’ve been doing this for years and it seems to be working….they're eating them and I feel less guilty for giving so many nuts.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

supersquirrelgirl (04-26-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    We feed many, many squirrels daily. They get a variety of nuts and peanuts. I also wondered about a calcium imbalance by giving all the nuts. I decided to make up boo balls and my husband gives them out before any nuts are given in the afternoon when everyone shows up for food. I grind up Harlan Teklad block and mix it with veggie/fruit baby food, powdered Fox Valley Formula and Ultraboost, ground nuts and avocado or coconut oil to hold it all together. Then we roll them in balls and store them in the fridge. We’ve been doing this for years and it seems to be working….they're eating them and I feel less guilty for giving so many nuts.
    Yes exactly! I'm feeling guilty too. We are going to reduce our feeding style so the squirrels don't become dependent on eating here. We travel on long trips so the squirrels would be stranded. But it sure is fun to hand feed them while they sit close and chatter. You can really see each one's personality.

Your recipe sounds very gourmet and balanced. I was thinking about starting with calcium powder sprinkled over nut mix as the first step. I read about this somewhere on TSB but can't find the post again. I will save your recipe for the next step.

Where do you buy avocado oil ?? (im not a very good chef...)

I get avocado oil at Home Goods, it’s usually cheapest there. There are many boo ball recipes in the nutrition section on this forum. One of the easiest ways to provide calcium to wilds is hang an antler out in a tree. Be careful about buying antlers online as some may come from parts of the world and could be treated with chemicals. A plain old regular antler from a deer is what you want. Tractor Supply might sell acceptable ones.

An alternative to an antler is a cow bone. Grocery stores sell bones used for making beef stock. If you boil it to remove any meat or marrow and then allow it to dry in the sun it’ll be suitable for the squirrels.

Both of these things provide calcium and also allow the squirrels to file down their teeth as they chew on it. They instinctively know when the need calcium and will go to it if it’s available.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

supersquirrelgirl (05-01-2024)

Hi Mel,

Thank for both suggestions. Going shopping later so I'll get some avocado oil. For antlers and cow bones, if I start hanging them in backyard, my neighbors will surely think I'm going crazy. Going to search boo ball recipes for simple solution. Motivation is really my guilt feeding wilds many nuts and seeds. For all I know, they are eating all day in the woods so its not really needed. We have reduced the breakfast bonanza, so they don't get dependent on us.