Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Albino Squirrel with Injuries, Need advice please

Default Re: Albino Squirrel with Injuries, Need advice please

I have just spoken with our local wildlife rehab center veterinarian.

1. She has seen the pictures and gauged the decline of your squirrel from the first set of pictures to today's. She is concerned that the trauma is likely to be more severe internally than what appears externally.
    2. Because the squirrel is from MN, she is not permitted to examine or treat it. Otherwise she would.
    3. She has given us the numbers of two reputable wildlife rehab centers in MN. Both will see wild squirrels. She says that based on what she sees, in the photos the kindest action might be to euthanize; however, the rehabbers might well have a different opinion based on a physical examination. I suggest you call them now. Wild and Free (Barnard) 320-692-5417. Wildwood (Duluth) 218-491-3604. Time is important.

In the meantime, if you don't have oral syringes on hand they can be had at Petco. PLEASE post or PM if I can help further.

Jamie
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

SquirrelPal (04-13-2024), TubeDriver (04-13-2024)

When I got my very first squirrel. I knew I needed 1cc syringes to feed him, and I needed them right away, not shipped. I went to my local pharmacy and spoke to the pharmacist, explaining that I was trying to hand feed a baby guinea pig that had been rejected by it's mother and needed some 1cc syringes until I could get some shipped, and they were very happy to help me. They didn't even charge me!

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelPal View Post
    He is not eating anything right now, so this would mean syringing the meds into him, correct? Here's two photos of what he looks like right now. To show the wounds I'd have to get him to uncurl and I don't want to do that on my own.
    He's very close to going into pain shock - you must follow CritterMom instructions for ibuprofen quickly. I'm sure his injuries hurt like hell and to him, nothing else matters but the pain. He needs help ASAP. If you don't have a syringe, buy the meds that include a small one.

As others have said, a small bit of help gives fast results. Honestly, the hard part is capturing him so this was a big step.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supersquirrelgirl:

Update #2

Thank you everyone for all your instructions and resources!

Albie is now with a licensed wildlife rehabber. She is providing supportive care right now and we are going to stay in contact for updates and any ways we can be of help to her efforts.

I had been in the process of getting the meds and syringes rounded up when my last chance rehabber came through. (She told me she is also a member of this forum, although I don't know her screen name yet.)

You have all been so helpful and supportive. I sincerely thank you for helping me and Albie. I'll update again when there is an outcome to share.

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelPal:

Charley Chuckles (04-13-2024), CritterMom (04-13-2024), Shellysfriend (04-13-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-13-2024), TomahawkFlyers (04-13-2024), TubeDriver (04-13-2024)

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Yes! YEs, YES! Even if Albie doesn't survive, she will leave this life without pain and in the hands of someone who genuinely cares.

You know, you've been doing a lot of thanking of people here. If it hasn't been said or said often enough, we thank you for caring and doing God's work for Albie.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelPal View Post
    Update #2

Thank you everyone for all your instructions and resources!

Albie is now with a licensed wildlife rehabber. She is providing supportive care right now and we are going to stay in contact for updates and any ways we can be of help to her efforts.

I had been in the process of getting the meds and syringes rounded up when my last chance rehabber came through. (She told me she is also a member of this forum, although I don't know her screen name yet.)

You have all been so helpful and supportive. I sincerely thank you for helping me and Albie. I'll update again when there is an outcome to share.
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Charley Chuckles (04-13-2024), SquirrelPal (04-13-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-13-2024)

🙏🙏🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Update #3

Albie did not make it through the night. We are really sad. He was a special friend. I'm sure you all know the gamut of emotions when you try so hard to help an animal you care about and things don't go the way you want or hope.

The rehabber gave him fluids, pain meds, antibiotics, and put medicine on his wounds. She was afraid that he wasn't swallowing any of the meds and it was just dribbling out the other side of his mouth. She didn't think his wounds looked that bad. She speculated that he may have had internal injuries that we couldn't see or had sepsis. He didn't really show any improvement from anything she tried. The rehabber said he was in a warm, safe, quiet place when he left us.

She kindly is letting us take his body for burial in our garden.

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelPal:

Charley Chuckles (04-14-2024), Chirps (04-14-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-14-2024), TubeDriver (04-14-2024)

Oh, I am so sorry. He was so beautiful and had such a sweet face. He was a lucky squirrel to have made friends like you.

I agree with your rehabber - the wounds you could see weren't what did this.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

SquirrelPal (04-14-2024)

For anyone who would like to see a video of Albie during better times, I have a few videos of him on my YouTube channel. Here is his reaction to being offered pepitas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRp4h244J7Q

He was an incredibly gentle and relaxed squirrel. I had a bad back injury two years ago and I started walking as a part of my physical therapy. That's how I first met Albie. Every day I looked forward to seeing him and visiting with him. I literally have a daily entry on my calendar that says, "Albie walk". It sucks to never see the sweet faces we love again.

Oh NO....Really had my hope up. Such a rare and beautiful squirrel.

I'm sure this is heartbreaking but sometimes injuries and pain are simply too much. Thank you so much for helping Albie. You are a special person for caring so much. RIP Albie, free at last in the squirrel kingdom!

Mr.SSG

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

SquirrelPal (04-14-2024)

I haven't been here much lately, and saw this thread yesterday? and dared hope even though that head tuck pic looked foreboding.

THANK YOU so much for going all out for Albie. Now you are left to figure out how to deal with the hole in your life that he leaves, and to treasure the special relationship you had. You were as good a friend as he could have wanted, and he appreciated your efforts. You will meet again!

Thanks for the video so we could see him in happier times!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

SquirrelPal (04-14-2024)

I'm so sorry about Albie. Those wounds did not look that bad but when I saw the picture of him curled over, I started to worry a LOT more. He had a very sweet looking face, I bet he was a gentle boy. I'm glad he had a friend who cared and that he was able to pass in a quiet, safe place. I hope he is in a better place now, whole and healthy.

Godspeed gentle Albie.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SquirrelPal (04-14-2024)

I'm so sorry 😔
    You did all you could and he knew he was loved ❤️
    God speed Albie 🌈
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

I am sorry. Few humans would have done all that you did to help Albie; and, he knew it. No doubt he loved you just as you loved him. His body is gone and his spirit remains. He will be a genuine part of you forever. Yep alert for signs from Albie - he will let you know that he is with you and that he is OK. FWIW, I thought life after death was something people made up to cope with loss. Then my sweet Louie passed and I've been receiving messages from him ever since. Sometimes at random moments, and sometimes when I'm really missing him. Stay alert with all of your senses.

Again, I am sorry that Albie couldn't hang on.

Jamie

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

SquirrelPal (04-14-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-14-2024)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12