Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Albino Squirrel with Injuries, Need advice please

Default Albino Squirrel with Injuries, Need advice please

I'd really appreciate some advice from people who know more than I do about squirrels. There is a neighborhood albino squirrel who I've befriended over the last couple of years who has just recently become injured.

There is a bloody wound where his left thumb should be -- thumb looks like it has been torn off. In addition he has an open wound on his right arm (forearm/elbow area) and the arm is swollen. He is limping, appears to be in pain, seems exhausted but was still able to eat walnuts and pecans from me.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a large wildlife rehabilitation care center. I contacted them and they told me that any animal who is missing digits is at high risk for euthanasia because they won't be able to thrive in the wild. I honestly don't know if my albino squirrel friend can heal/survive these injuries but I am heartbroken that it sounds like the missing thumb means he won't even be given the chance to get antibiotics and pain meds and a chance at recovering.

So my question for those more experienced than I am: is what the wildlife rehabilitation care center near me saying the hard truth that I need to come to terms with? If so I can try to capture him to bring him in to be humanely euthanized so at least he won't continue to suffer. Or is there a way to give this squirrel a chance to heal his injuries and live? I would be willing to take that project on if so.

I am stupidly attached to this squirrel and heartbroken that this has happened to him. Any advice or guidance you can give me is very gratefully received. I have tried to attach some photos of his injuries but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. If I did it wrong I'll go back through the forum and look for instructions on how to do it properly. Thank you.

Name:  Albie - Front View.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  161.2 KBName:  Albie - Left Hand.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  151.5 KBName:  Albie - Right Hand.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  175.0 KB

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelPal:

Charley Chuckles (04-11-2024), Chirps (04-13-2024)

Default Re: Albino Squirrel with Injuries, Need advice please

Hi,

It looks as if your squirrel has survived an attack. There is a vet in Madison, WI who will see squirrels. If you'd like to explore that, let me know and I'll dig up the information. Meanwhile, there are knowledgeable people here who can look at that picture and give you information about antibiotics and pain medication and appropriate dosing. Stay tuned for further answers. Beautiful squirrel, by the way. It is easy to see how you came to notice him/her.

Jamie
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TomahawkFlyers:

Charley Chuckles (04-11-2024), Chirps (04-13-2024), SquirrelPal (04-11-2024)

I disagree with the rehabilitation center's assessment. Injuries like this to squirrel's paws/limbs/digits are very common and most will heal on their own without intervention. A squirrel missing a single digit is at a slight disadvantage but can live a happy life out in the wild. I would not capture and euthanize this squirrel. The only caveat in what I have said is if he has any fractures which would complicate his healing process but if he is putting weight on that limb it is not likely.

There is a decent chance that he will heal on his own, especially if you make his life a little easier now by providing almonds, pecans etc and fresh water daily. This will allow him to rest and heal by reducing the time and energy needed to forage. This squirrel will probably not live as long as a regular squirrel due to vision issues related to albinism but he deserves a chance.

He would also benefit from a course of antibiotics (clavomax, cipro, etc). Only 1-2 pills are needed, we can help provide exact dosing directions. Antibiotic could be given in the wild in dosed treats if he is a regular, daily visitor or if he is captured. Pain meds could also be given.

To repeat, I absolutely would not euthanize this squirrel at this point, nor would I bring him to a center that basically told you what they plan on doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelPal View Post
    I'd really appreciate some advice from people who know more than I do about squirrels. There is a neighborhood albino squirrel who I've befriended over the last couple of years who has just recently become injured.

There is a bloody wound where his left thumb should be -- thumb looks like it has been torn off. In addition he has an open wound on his right arm (forearm/elbow area) and the arm is swollen. He is limping, appears to be in pain, seems exhausted but was still able to eat walnuts and pecans from me.

I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a large wildlife rehabilitation care center. I contacted them and they told me that any animal who is missing digits is at high risk for euthanasia because they won't be able to thrive in the wild. I honestly don't know if my albino squirrel friend can heal/survive these injuries but I am heartbroken that it sounds like the missing thumb means he won't even be given the chance to get antibiotics and pain meds and a chance at recovering.

So my question for those more experienced than I am: is what the wildlife rehabilitation care center near me saying the hard truth that I need to come to terms with? If so I can try to capture him to bring him in to be humanely euthanized so at least he won't continue to suffer. Or is there a way to give this squirrel a chance to heal his injuries and live? I would be willing to take that project on if so.

I am stupidly attached to this squirrel and heartbroken that this has happened to him. Any advice or guidance you can give me is very gratefully received. I have tried to attach some photos of his injuries but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. If I did it wrong I'll go back through the forum and look for instructions on how to do it properly. Thank you.

Name:  Albie - Front View.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  161.2 KBName:  Albie - Left Hand.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  151.5 KBName:  Albie - Right Hand.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  175.0 KB
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Charley Chuckles (04-11-2024), Chirps (04-13-2024), SquirrelPal (04-11-2024)

So beautiful 😍
    I'd give the squirrel a chance 🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

SquirrelPal (04-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    The only caveat in what I have said is if he has any fractures which would complicate his healing process but if he is putting weight on that limb it is not likely.

He would also benefit from a course of antibiotics (clavomax, cipro, etc). Only 1-2 pills are needed, we can help provide exact dosing directions. Antibiotic could be given in the wild in dosed treats if he is a regular, daily visitor or if he is captured. Pain meds could also be given.
    Thank you so much for your reply. I would appreciate getting exact guidance on antibiotic and pain med dosing (what pain meds are used for squirrels?) and how to hide in treats. I have experience giving meds to domestic rabbits, so I am at least somewhat familiar with these medicating strategies.

We saw Albie the white squirrel this morning and he is putting some weight on both front legs. However he is not bounding around so much as slowly crawling forward. He is able to ramp up his speed if he feels threatened and he is able to climb a tree, but none of his locomotion right now looks normal or pain-free. I am quite concerned that he will get nabbed by a predator or hit by a car because of his slow locomotion.

Both yesterday and today he ate a few nuts, then seemed to lose interest and moved away. That concerns me because historically he will eat many nuts or bury some and then come back for more.

Today his wounds look black but I can't tell if they are soiled with dirt or if the flesh has turned black. Ugh.

Does any of this updated information change your initial thoughts? Thanks again for your help.

This does not change my thoughts at all. Black might well be clotting and scabbing. He should get antibiotics and pain meds. What do you have in the house and/or what can you scrounge up from friends and neighbors? Amoxicillin, Clavamox, Baytril, ... what's available? Also, can you put water out for the little guy? It shouldn't freeze anymore ...

Jamie
    "some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

Charley Chuckles (04-11-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by TomahawkFlyers View Post
    This does not change my thoughts at all. Black might well be clotting and scabbing. He should get antibiotics and pain meds. What do you have in the house and/or what can you scrounge up from friends and neighbors? Amoxicillin, Clavamox, Baytril, ... what's available? Also, can you put water out for the little guy? It shouldn't freeze anymore ...

Jamie
    That is good to hear. We have put two water dishes out for him in areas where he roams (he is not a back yard visitor, he lives on the other side of our block, so we see him on walks). We are changing the water daily and looking for him 3x per day, sometimes with no success. You are correct, freezing is done we are into spring weather now. (Thank goodness!)

The last of my house rabbits died in 2022 and I gave away all my meds. However I am still somewhat connected in rabbit rescue so I am shaking the trees right now for antibiotics and pain meds. The most likely pain med from rabbit rescuers will be Metacam. The most likely antibiotics would be Baytril, Azithromycin, Trimethyl sulfate. I have a big community of rabbit rescuers I can pull from but most would mean someone shipping to me, which will take a few days.

I now have offers for liquid amoxicillin, liquid Baytril, and a few tablets of doxycycline. I have an offer for 7-year expired human Cipro 750mg (that seems like too long, right?). I have multiple leads on liquid Metacam.

I spoke with my retired vet and in her opinion the Clavamox is the very best for the types of wounds (and the swelling of the arm) that I described to her. Unfortunately she can't prescribe for me.

I'm not sure how I would get liquid meds into Albie. Would a few tablets of doxycycline be a full course of antibiotics?

Please advise with more specifics on the meds. Thank you, much appreciated!

Hang tight - a person experienced with dosing will be with you shortly.

Jamie

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

SquirrelPal (04-11-2024)

I can provide dosing for anything you have. Of the ABs you mentioned, Clavamox would be best. My second choice would be amoxicillin or the baytril. Baytil/Cipro tastes terrible so if you are going to be using dosed treats, I would go with amoxicilin. Metacam can help with pain. PM details about the pills or solutions you have and I can send exact dosing directions.

I now have offers for liquid amoxicillin, liquid Baytril, and a few tablets of doxycycline. I have an offer for 7-year expired human Cipro 750mg (that seems like too long, right?). I have multiple leads on liquid Metacam.

I spoke with my retired vet and in her opinion the Clavamox is the very best for the types of wounds (and the swelling of the arm) that I described to her. Unfortunately she can't prescribe for me.

I'm not sure how I would get liquid meds into Albie. Would a few tablets of doxycycline be a full course of antibiotics?

Please advise with more specifics on the meds. Thank you, much appreciated!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SquirrelPal (04-11-2024)

Check PMs!

-Grateful Dead

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SquirrelPal (04-13-2024)

Hello SquirrelPal,

What a beautiful color squirrel. Never seen one here before.

Can you get updated pictures of the injuries ?? Its hard to see the right arm injury but its looks very deep; maybe into the muscle ?? Any bone exposed ??

Around me, all squirrels are wild (mainly foxes) and from time to time, so come with similar injuries. In due time, they recover and go on being a squirrel. (I can't believe the Rehab Center comment! Makes me sick!) We a little human intervention, you can help this squirrel recover. And NO, you are not crazy to care for a special one. We all do it.

Mr. SSG

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

Chirps (04-13-2024)

Thank you for your comment. He is a beautiful squirrel and beyond that he is such a sweet little fellow.

My husband and I looked for him many times yesterday and could not find him. Have already looked this morning and no luck. We will keep looking.

I don't know if the bone is exposed. The next time I saw the injuries they were both black - I thought maybe they were covered in dirt but a couple people suggested that what I was seeing was scabbing up of the wound.

Since I first posted here I learned some very important information about local wildlife rehab. I assumed that since we have a HUGE wildlife rehabilitation facility that smaller rehabbers would not exist. That was my mistake. I have since found another local organization that maintains a spreadsheet of rehabbers in the state. I started reaching out to them and I've started getting responses and advice from local, individual wildlife rehabbers. It's been helpful.

Now we just need to find him. I'm worried but not giving up. I will update when I have anything fresh to share. Thank you to everyone here for all the support and help. What an amazing community of squirrel lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    Hello SquirrelPal,

What a beautiful color squirrel. Never seen one here before.

Can you get updated pictures of the injuries ?? Its hard to see the right arm injury but its looks very deep; maybe into the muscle ?? Any bone exposed ??

Around me, all squirrels are wild (mainly foxes) and from time to time, so come with similar injuries. In due time, they recover and go on being a squirrel. (I can't believe the Rehab Center comment! Makes me sick!) We a little human intervention, you can help this squirrel recover. And NO, you are not crazy to care for a special one. We all do it.

Mr. SSG

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelPal from:

Charley Chuckles (04-13-2024)

Update #1:

I have the white squirrel. I found him sitting with his head down in a neighborís lawn. I have zero experience but his condition looks dire. I was able to put my coat over him and bring him home. He is sitting in my 'catio' (I don't have cats, long story) with his head tucked down in-between his front legs.

I have been in contact with two local rehabbers, trying to get him to care ASAP. One can't take him right now, two others are out-of-town, waiting to hear from the last one. If I don't hear back soon I don't think I'll have any choice but to take him to the big wildlife rehab facility.

So sad. I hate this for him.

Can you keep him for a week and treat him with the directions I sent you? Could you post up some photos of him and his injuries? That head down position does usually indicate that the squirrel is very ill. It sounds like that big wildlife center will just ethanize him, they will not devote a week to try and see if he can be helped. But a week of rest, food and AB can do wonders in some cases.

Update #1:

I have the white squirrel. I found him sitting with his head down in a neighborís lawn. I have zero experience but his condition looks dire. I was able to put my coat over him and bring him home. He is sitting in my 'catio' (I don't have cats, long story) with his head tucked down in-between his front legs.

I have been in contact with two local rehabbers, trying to get him to care ASAP. One can't take him right now, two others are out-of-town, waiting to hear from the last one. If I don't hear back soon I don't think I'll have any choice but to take him to the big wildlife rehab facility.

So sad. I hate this for him.

-Grateful Dead

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Charley Chuckles (04-13-2024), Chirps (04-13-2024)

Were you able to check your PMs from TubeDriver? They probably have dosing info in them. It is remarkable how these little guys can turn the corner once the meds have been administered.

Thank you for helping him. If you havenít already, maybe give him a shallow dish of water, and some nuts to tide him over. Preferably not in the shell or at least cracked ones so he doesnít have to work for it. Avacado is a hit too. Dark calm quiet room. Sounds like the big rehab is a certain death sentence, these guys can heal through a lot. Obviously we arenít there so itís easy for us to say. Hopefully someone comes through quickly for you guys. Best wishes!

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shellysfriend from:

Chirps (04-13-2024)

He is not eating anything right now, so this would mean syringing the meds into him, correct? Here's two photos of what he looks like right now. To show the wounds I'd have to get him to uncurl and I don't want to do that on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Can you keep him for a week and treat him with the directions I sent you? Could you post up some photos of him and his injuries? That head down position does usually indicate that the squirrel is very ill. It sounds like that big wildlife center will just ethanize him, they will not devote a week to try and see if he can be helped. But a week of rest, food and AB can do wonders in some cases.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

He looks like he is in a lot of pain. I have PM'd you info on using infant ibuprophen for that. Pain can shut them right down like this and the infant ibuprophen in amazingly good at relieving that. If you do that, they start to eat again, etc. Pain mitigation is really important.

It is usually grape, berry or cherry flavored and they usually love it. You may be able to slip the tip of the syringe into the side of the mouth and just press the plunger.

32. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Charley Chuckles (04-13-2024), Chirps (04-13-2024), Grinderhead (04-13-2024), SquirrelPal (04-13-2024), supersquirrelgirl (04-13-2024)

He is not eating anything right now, so this would mean syringing the meds into him, correct? Here's two photos of what he looks like right now. To show the wounds I'd have to get him to uncurl and I don't want to do that on my own.
    Yes. Do you have syringes handy?

Jamie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast