Thread: Baby squirrels with bite marks

Hybrid View

Exclamation Baby squirrels with bite marks

Yesterday my cat brought me a baby. Knowing there are usually more than one I followed her to a second baby, which was located under a squirrel nest I can't reach. They both had wounds. The wounds look like small bite marks, mostly concentrated on the second baby's head. The first one has both small bite marks and also a cpl larger puncture would, prob from the car
    I have one 22.7 mg tablet if enrofloxacin but need dosing advice. I'm planning to start them on it as soon as possible. They are not dehydrated and the wounds were very fresh. I treated the wounds with triple antibiotic ointment (they are no more than 10 days old and aren't licking yet).

I didn't think they'd survive without some wound intervention as cat bites get infected quickly, even though I got them immediately, so I didn't try to reunite then with Mom. I'm wondering if the small bite marks were actually made by Mom and if she kicked them out.

It's been over 2 years since I rehabbed a squirrel so I wasn't aware esbilac changed their formula. Also the only available powder form was a goats milk formulation.....? Am I safe to use the prepared (not powdered) milk until my fox valley order arrives? It didn't have any indication of a "goats milk formula" like the powdered ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Baby squirrels with bite marks

Do you have the weight of them?

34 and 36 grams

Give me a few minutes and I will PM the dosing instructions...

The Esbilac powdered formula is back on track adn okay this season (fingers crossed). That would be preferable to Fox Valley 32/40 by most of us here on the board. We use Fox Valley 20/50 when they get older but the 32/40 is notorious for "cement gut" issues.
    Squirrel Advocate

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Grinderhead (03-30-2024)

Whoops. I just sent dosing, too. You can't say we didn't help!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Whoops. I just sent dosing, too. You can't say we didn't help!
    Scratch my dosing - I messed something up. Listen to Spanky.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Give me a few minutes and I will PM the dosing instructions...

The Esbilac powdered formula is back on track adn okay this season (fingers crossed). That would be preferable to Fox Valley 32/40 by most of us here on the board. We use Fox Valley 20/50 when they get older but the 32/40 is notorious for "cement gut" issues.
    I can only find the goats milk formula of Esbilac prp, powder, will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara101972 View Post
    I can only find the goats milk formula of Esbilac prp, powder, will that work?
    No, it really doesn't. Most chain pet stores sell the powdered puppy esbilac; do you have a Tractor Supply? If so, they do as well - you can check stock at the Tractor Supply stores online, too.