Thread: Grown wild squirrel in need of meds

Default Grown wild squirrel in need of meds

I have a grown male squirrel that weighs 515 grams I have been working with a rehabber and he usually gives me the dosage to give squirrels for things. He told me to give this one ibuprofen but didnít tell me how much can anyone help me with the dosage? Or I have metcam as well. The adult squirrel is mouth breathing. I recieved him today and have been getting him hydrated before I could give him the medicine. Not sure what happens to him but was told he was shot with a pellet gun. I know he is hurting and has swelling but had to get him hydrated first. Please some one help and also tell me what to do with the loud mouth breathing. He has some dried blood on nose
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: Grown wild squirrel in need of meds

Dosing sent by PM. Poor baby, he looks so miserable.

Is the pellet still in him? It may have punctured a lung, which would explain his loud breathing. Does your rehabber contact have a vet who will see him? This may require a lot more than Ibuprofen.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Charley Chuckles (03-25-2024)

Also, squirrels are what is called "obligate nose breathers" which means that unlike us, they cannot mouth breathe very easily. Because of this, if their nose is blocked and they are forced to do so to live, they don't get the oxygen that nasal breathing supplies them which causes them to work twice as hard to oxygenate, and I would imagine is terrifying for them.

I, too, would like to see this baby get some xrays done too, but I would make sure they look to see if there is something lodged in the nasal passages. If a pellet is in open tissue, it can be left in place and the body will wall it off until it is just a little bump that doesn't cause issues, but if it is in the sinuses or further down in the lungs, it needs to come out.

He may calm down after a couple doses of pain meds, which may also calm down his breathing so he isn't in such distress.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Charley Chuckles (03-25-2024), island rehabber (03-25-2024)