Thread: Sibirian Squirrel just sleep not moving drinking much but not eating

Exclamation Sibirian Squirrel just sleep not moving drinking much but not eating

Hello, I have a Problem with my Sibirian Squirrel. Since 2 Days he is not eating anymore but drinking a lot. Also he just sleeps and is not much moving.
    I attached a Picture from yesterday. Iím not sure his Penis is swollen or not.
    Can you please give me a Advise?
    Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Sibirian Squirrel just sleep not moving drinking much but not eating

It's hard to see but his peinis looks red possibly swollen.
    How old is he and what kind of diet is he on?

Look at those beautiful ears❤️
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Default Re: Sibirian Squirrel just sleep not moving drinking much but not eating

Welcome! What a beautiful squirrel. Some questions: is he peeing regularly? Have you seen him doing so, and does he show any sign of straining? Is he housed with other squirrels? What is his diet like? The more you can tell us the better we can try to help. 🙂
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post

Hello Thank you for your Help, I cannot see if he is peeing or not unfortunately. He is 2 years old and eat daily Walnut which he has to crack and Avocados, apples and normal Water.
    He lives alone and his Name is Cutie Pie.
    Today I cannot see his Penis anymore.
    But he donít move at all .
    I donít know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles View Post

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Welcome! What a beautiful squirrel. Some questions: is he peeing regularly? Have you seen him doing so, and does he show any sign of straining? Is he housed with other squirrels? What is his diet like? The more you can tell us the better we can try to help. 🙂
    Hello Thank you for your Help, I cannot see if he is peeing or not unfortunately. He is 2 years old and eat daily Walnut which he has to crack and Avocados, apples and normal Water.
    I donít know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Jack92 View Post
    I donít know what to do
    What could I Do if the Penis is swollen?
    Thank you

OK, if the penis has receded into the foreskin, any swelling that may have been in it is gone now.

Are you really just feeding him apples, avocado and walnuts? If so, his diet is terribly imbalanced and it is extremely likely that he has metabolic bone disease (MBD). Can you get your hands on come calcium? Preferably calcium that has not been supplemented with Vitamin D. I don't know whether you have Tums antacids there...I did some googling and there is a brand called Rennie's in the UK - their ORANGE flavor would be a good choice as it is calcium carbonate without any other supplementation.

Please let us know if you can get calcium. I would begin with about 3-400 mg per day, broken into small doses. You may want to crush the tablet and add water so you can give it by syringe.

If you feed other foods, list them please.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (03-20-2024), Mel1959 (03-20-2024)

From what you have described so far, his diet is not supportive of his metabolic and bone health. He needs to be on a rodent block diet plus preferably, 'organic' whole foods. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Bone-Disease)

Please see in the Specific Aliments forum under MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) treatment; do this immediately, as this is an immediate life threatening condition.

There is a homemade diet posted on the board that one can make up this diet if there isn't one readily available that is of good quality.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...77#post1238177

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (03-20-2024), Mel1959 (03-20-2024)

Does your squirrel eat any type of rodent block? Popular brands are Oxbow Regal Rat, Envigo Harlan Teklad, Mazuri Rat Food and Henryís Healthy Blocks. The Envigo and Henryís are only available online, but the other two you might find in pet stores in the UK.

Your squirrels diet could be the problem. Captive squirrels must eat a rodent block in order to get the calcium they need to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. Nuts, corn, seeds all deplete the body of calcium or provide an abundance of phosphorous in the diet. Either way MBD is the outcome. The squirrels bones get depleted of their calcium and the squirrel ends up with hind end paralysis, seizures and will die without intervention. MBD requires treatment with a calcium supplement that contains no Vitamin D.

Here is the emergency treatment for MBD. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

Initially you can use a product like Tums, which is an antacid sold in the US that contains calcium carbonate. Itís best to switch over to a plain calcium supplement asap.

Please follow the MBD protocol and start administering some calcium immediately, if this is not MBD the calcium wonít hurt him and will be excreted in his stool.

As for the penis. An inflammed penis can be treated with coconut oil. A urinary tract infection can also make your squirrel lethargic. In case treatment is needed please locate some type of human antibiotics. When you find some post what youíve found, the strength of the medication and the weight of your squirrel in grams. Someone will be able to dose the medicine for you and also determine if it will be effective for a UTI.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (03-20-2024), island rehabber (03-20-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Does your squirrel eat any type of rodent block? Popular brands are Oxbow Regal Rat, Envigo Harlan Teklad, Mazuri Rat Food and Henryís Healthy Blocks. The Envigo and Henryís are only available online, but the other two you might find in pet stores in the UK.

Your squirrels diet could be the problem. Captive squirrels must eat a rodent block in order to get the calcium they need to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. Nuts, corn, seeds all deplete the body of calcium or provide an abundance of phosphorous in the diet. Either way MBD is the outcome. The squirrels bones get depleted of their calcium and the squirrel ends up with hind end paralysis, seizures and will die without intervention. MBD requires treatment with a calcium supplement that contains no Vitamin D.

Here is the emergency treatment for MBD. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-MBD-Treatment

Initially you can use a product like Tums, which is an antacid sold in the US that contains calcium carbonate. Itís best to switch over to a plain calcium supplement asap.

Please follow the MBD protocol and start administering some calcium immediately, if this is not MBD the calcium wonít hurt him and will be excreted in his stool.

As for the penis. An inflammed penis can be treated with coconut oil. A urinary tract infection can also make your squirrel lethargic. In case treatment is needed please locate some type of human antibiotics. When you find some post what youíve found, the strength of the medication and the weight of your squirrel in grams. Someone will be able to dose the medicine for you and also determine if it will be effective for a UTI.
    Hello, Thank u very much for the Information, he cannot move anymore just laying down and he canít swallow anymore

What can I do ?
    Thank u

The link above in previous post has the MBD protocol.
    You must start this immediately 🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Please go up to post #7 (the number is in the upper RH side) and start reading. Your answers are ALL HERE.

This baby needs calcium without vitamin D NOW. A good source is some antacids, believe it or not, and I found one sold in England that would work, which is linked in post 7.

CALCIUM!!! ASAP!!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

island rehabber (03-21-2024)