Thread: Congenital defect? I think she's a Dwarf!

Default Congenital defect? I think she's a Dwarf!

Hi all! New here but not new to squirrel rehab <3
    I have a litter of 4 that I received about a month ago and one of the little girls I’ve started to notice, is a little odd… she’s very small, can’t climb, short tail, short front legs, malocclusion, Name:  IMG_9851.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  96.4 KBName:  IMG_9827.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  370.6 KBthe works! But she’s so incredibly spunky and the way she walks reminds me of those wind up chicks that we used to get for Easter haha!
    Does anyone have any experience with a special squirrel? Shes the first I’ve ever had like this.

Default Re: Congenital defect?

and thank you for caring for these wonderful babies 🥰
    I'm just taking a guess here but she might be a dwarf many here have had them so I'll let others comment on that.

She certainly is a QT 😍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Meeshee (03-20-2024)

I’m hoping this is how I reply 😅 but thank you! I did consider her being a dwarf, since that was really the only similar thing I could find, but not sure exactly how to tell! Any insight is greatly appreciated.
    Will it be more telling as she grows maybe?

I'm bumping your thread hoping that people here who had/ have dwarfs can reply👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

island rehabber (03-21-2024)

Thank you CC, I'm actually going to move this thread to non-life threatening help needed, and I will tag chickenlegs, Mel and our other dwarf moms to comment here. I believe this adorable baby is a dwarf for sure.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Charley Chuckles (03-21-2024), Meeshee (03-21-2024)

Default Re: Congenital defect? I think she's a Dwarf!

Check out the dwarf entries in “Special Needs”. You have a little gift and anyone who has been blessed with a dwarf wants to see her thrive. After you read other’s experiences, ask your questions here. We can help. Keep her warm and keep up the formula— for the rest of her life. It’s good she’s with others but she’s less able than they are. Watch climbing, wrestling and other normal squirrel stuff. She’s breakable WILL be bullied. Falls are bad as a dwarf falls like a squishy rock. Feeding will require an encyclopedia and a good sense of humor! Eeeeeeeeeeee! Dwarf baby!!!!!!

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Charley Chuckles (03-21-2024), island rehabber (03-21-2024), Meeshee (03-21-2024), Mel1959 (03-22-2024)

I have not noticed bullying as of yet, thank goodness. I will check out the thread now. I think I may have before but didn’t read too much into it since I didn’t know for sure if she was a dwarf, downs or FTT.
    She is definitely clumsy and has had some bowel issues. Switching her from esbilac with cream and yogurt to fox valley caused diarrhea, so we are just going to continue with the esbilac/cream/yogurt.
    Thank you all for the help! I look forward to hearing from others experiences.

I vote for dwarf, too! The way I finally determined my little guy was a dwarf was that he just didn’t grow….in spite of trying different formulas. GI abnormalities and joint abnormalities are common. If an X-ray is done you will be able to see that a dwarf squirrels joints aren’t connected correctly. They also have trouble thermoregulating their body temperature. I kept a heating pad under my little guys sleeping surface for his entire life. The GI issues can be treated with Cisapride and Metoclopramide. One keeps the upper GI tract moving and the other the lower. Both are Rx and typically used for constipation, but my guy had some loose stool and the vet put him on them. Speaking of vets, there is a vet in north Florida (Port Orange) who specializes in all things squirrel and has an extensive knowledge of dwarfs. She’s owned several of them. Her name is Dr. Alicia Emerson at Ravenwood Vet Clinic. If you ever have a need for assistance I’d reach out to her.

Aside from all that, as chickenlegs mentioned, their ability to climb is extremely impaired. They may try to do it but fail miserably so you want to be careful he doesn’t fall and get hurt.

Dietary preferences are all over the place. Dr. Emerson has had dwarfs that consume vegetables and rodent block like a normal squirrel. The two dwarfs I had required syringe feeding a mixture of ground Envigo Harlan Teklad rodent block mixed with veggie baby food and thinned with formula so it would flow through the syringe. I fed him this way 4 times a day….dwarfs are a commitment. Sadly it is relatively short-lived as they rarely live beyond 5 years. My little guy lived for 3.5 years and the other one for about 2. The time you have with them is precious.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Collectively us folks that have had them have learned a lot about them and we’re happy to help.

There’s threads for my two little ones in the breed specific forum, too. One is titled Joey, the other Joy.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (03-22-2024), Meeshee (03-22-2024)

If you're near chattanooga, there's a squirrel friendly vet who could do an xray. There are degrees of dwarfism and she sure looks to be on the spectrum.
    Absolutely adorable!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Charley Chuckles (03-22-2024), Meeshee (03-22-2024), Mel1959 (03-22-2024)

All spectacular advice! I will set up an appointment for x-rays to maybe get some insight on the inside! I honestly didn’t even think of that. I also don’t mind driving to Chattanooga, if needed, it’s a little over an hour drive from here and while our vet is great, he doesn’t have the most experience with squirrels compared to our og vet where we used to live. I’ve also driven further to save a turtle 😂.
    I believe diet is the most of my worries. Especially since she had diarrhea and then after that sometimes she will have a mega poo! I’m sorry if that’s tmi but it will literally be huge which has me worried for her bowels.

The poo issue sure sounds like it could be megacolon. As I said it’s very common in rats and other small mammals. When I was treating my Joey the Cisapride Rx was filled by a compounding pharmacy called Diamondback in Arizona. It was a very simple process once the doctor wrote the Rx. Maybe there’s other options now. They flavored the medicine with peanut butter flavoring. Neither medicine was difficult to give as they were such small amounts.

I’m glad to hear that you’re going to take her to the vet. Dr. Emerson has conferred with other vets if needed. I still have Joeys X-rays if you need them for comparison, I’ll send them to you.

As for the food situation. Knowing how important rodent block is to their diet long term you should try to figure out a way to get it in her. That was why I ground it and mixed it with baby food.