Thread: Emaciated baby barely hanging on

Hybrid View

Default Emaciated baby barely hanging on

She's about 2 weeks old and weighs 1.12 oz. Suddenly became ematiated and lethargic. I need help quick please. Sorry so short but I'm trying to hurry and get this posted and go from there

Default Re: Ematiated baby barely hanging on

My first guess would be that she aspirated some formula into her lungs and has aspiration pneumonia.

You need to check your medicine chest, call friends, family, co-workers and see if anybody has any antibiotics left over from a past illness. Cipro is excellent, Amoxicillin clavulanate is very good, regular amoxicillin can work...but there are many more. If someone has doxycycline, please see if you can get the expiration date of it. The other meds it doesn't matter much. Just get a list of them and come back here with it. If you can find something we will tell you how to dilute one of those human sized pills into something you can dose your baby with safely.

Make sure she stays hydrated and with any food you can get into her. And warm. Keep her warm.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    My first guess would be that she aspirated some formula into her lungs and has aspiration pneumonia.

You need to check your medicine chest, call friends, family, co-workers and see if anybody has any antibiotics left over from a past illness. Cipro is excellent, Amoxicillin clavulanate is very good, regular amoxicillin can work...but there are many more. If someone has doxycycline, please see if you can get the expiration date of it. The other meds it doesn't matter much. Just get a list of them and come back here with it. If you can find something we will tell you how to dilute one of those human sized pills into something you can dose your baby with safely.

Make sure she stays hydrated and with any food you can get into her. And warm. Keep her warm.
    I've got 500mg penicillin

Quote Originally Posted by Jenjenrkmrt View Post
    I've got 500mg penicillin
    Nope. Can you find anything else?

Macrodantin? 100mg caps

Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim 400 mg / 80 mg.