Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meek has bumps and lumps

Default Meek has bumps and lumps

I was checking on some of our released wilds and I noticed the female only, had some lumps or bumps. One on her eye lid, ear, and arm close to the armpit. They aren't went or anything just kind of firm in nature. I can try to get pictures tomorrow of it'd be helpful but may be next day. I'll see what I can get done on that matter. I have been giving her prebiotic to help with her immune system once a day. Just worried if this could be possible squirrel pox?

She does sleep in the same nest as her two brother and they don't seem to have any bumps or anything. One of them did have bite marks so maybe she just was fighting and the bumps are a result of that. She isn't in heat or anything like that. Just worried to death about possible pox. Is pox contagious to other squirrels, pets, or humans?

Default Re: Meek has bumps and lumps

Quote Originally Posted by LaShae1995 View Post
    I was checking on some of our released wilds and I noticed the female only, had some lumps or bumps. One on her eye lid, ear, and arm close to the armpit. They aren't went or anything just kind of firm in nature. I can try to get pictures tomorrow of it'd be helpful but may be next day. I'll see what I can get done on that matter. I have been giving her prebiotic to help with her immune system once a day. Just worried if this could be possible squirrel pox?

She does sleep in the same nest as her two brother and they don't seem to have any bumps or anything. One of them did have bite marks so maybe she just was fighting and the bumps are a result of that. She isn't in heat or anything like that. Just worried to death about possible pox. Is pox contagious to other squirrels, pets, or humans?
    Hi LaShae:
    Yes, it's possible this is Squirrel Pox. Certainly no diagnosis or even an opinion can be rendered without photos. Please post photos as soon as possible! If this does appear to be Squirrel Pox; it cannot be transmitted to humans or to dogs or cats. It does seem to be able to be transmitted between Squirrels by direct contact with the lesions. What species of Squirrel is Meek (Fox, Gray...)?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

LaShae1995 (02-07-2024), Mel1959 (02-07-2024)

I believe she is a Grey Red mix. Her brother seems to take more after the red as she and her other brother the Grey. Just from my speculations. I'll post pictures of her once I check her tomorrow if I can. I'm going to be gone most of the day so I may have to see if my sister can catch her and do it for me.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaShae1995 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-08-2024)

I believe she is a Grey Red mix. Her brother seems to take more after the red as she and her other brother the Grey. Just from my speculations. I'll post pictures of her once I check her tomorrow if I can. I'm going to be gone most of the day so I may have to see if my sister can catch her and do it for me.
    Gray squirrels and red squirrels don’t mate. Neither do gray squirrels and Fox squirrels. Some fox squirrels have more orange coloring than others. Fox squirrels are much larger than grays and red squirrels are much smaller than grays.

A picture would be very helpful.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

LaShae1995 (02-08-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-08-2024)

the Eastern gray squirrel has a significant variation of pelage (fur coloration), with some individuals having a coloration even with red tails. They also may differ in body length than the southern subspecies in N.A. typically with the northern subspecies being larger bodied than the southern subspecies. Gray squirrels are 'scatter hoarders. In wild areas take up residence in the hollows of old trees or nest boxes over the winter. They have also been found to take up nesting in attics, and under eaves.

Red squirrels and other pine squirrel species of N.A. have been found to have variations in coloration also; yet their size, tail length, ear shape, and skulls differ from all the mid sized north American tree squirrel species, as do their diets. (Larder hoarders),They stash seeds and nuts in mass deposits, known as middens. (see photo)

A close friend of mine has both Red squirrels and Gray squirrels that inhabit their yard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

LaShae1995 (02-08-2024)

Oh wow I didn't know that 😳 well im not really sure what she is then. Maybe a grey? Here are pictures of her.

Maybe yall could help me figure out what kind of squirrel they are. Here are some pictures of Crow Mr and Meek

I can't edit the pictures of Meek I was gonna add details so here they are... she has a lump on that eye lid that looks swelled but no lessiobs on it. She also has a small bump in the ear on that side but also no lessons. Her arm pit again on the same side has what appear to be small lessions maybe she is trying to groom it?

Now here the symptoms of squirrel pox...

Swollen lesions appear around the mouth, nose, eyes, ears and genitalia

She has they bump on the eye ear but not anything else (and her armpit). They don't appear to be wet or crusty as stated online about pox. She seems to be normal other than the bumps. When I pinch up her skin it lags a little but I haven't checked that again today. I have been giving her probiotics to help boost her immune system.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LaShae1995 from:

Diggie's Friend (02-08-2024)

First, they are both standard Eastern Grays.

The lumps are sort of poxy but a couple questions: When you are showing them off they all seem to be fairly circular. Is that what I am seeing or are you blowing down on the area to spread the fur for the photo?

Pox sores are usually one big sore, not a lump with a bunch of rashy looking patches on it like these.

Does ringworm ever show as raised lumps?

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (02-10-2024), LaShae1995 (02-08-2024)

I just took the picture and zoomed in and posted they are just as they look. I'll check on ringworm and see if they can cause raised lumps like I'm seeing.

If it were ringworm please know that is highly contagious to other animals and to humans also. Best to wear exam gloves, and wash your hands if not. Not saying this is ringworm; but it is noted to often resolve on its own.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

LaShae1995 (02-09-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    First, they are both standard Eastern Grays.

The lumps are sort of poxy but a couple questions: When you are showing them off they all seem to be fairly circular. Is that what I am seeing or are you blowing down on the area to spread the fur for the photo?

Pox sores are usually one big sore, not a lump with a bunch of rashy looking patches on it like these.

Does ringworm ever show as raised lumps?
    I realize what you were saying about blowing down the fur sorry I was really tired and misread it. I just spread the fur with my fingers just kind of moving it out of the way so I could get the picture. She's a furry baby right now with winter fur lol. I'll keep an eye on then and if you or anyone has more info please let me know. Thank you

It doesn’t look like ringworm to me.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (02-10-2024), LaShae1995 (02-09-2024)

Hi LaShae:
    The areas of concern on your photos do not definitively resemble Squirrel Pox lesions. They may be an early stage for this and to be honest, while I have seen a few cases of Pox at a distance, I have no idea as to what stages the lesions go through (if any) before the lesion take on their characteristic form. There are several members here on TSB who have been involved in direct care of Squirrels with Pox and they may be able to comment on this. Again, to me, with the lesions having their current forms which seem like some hair loss and maybe some skin irritation and possibly drainage; they seem to resemble what might be seen with mite infestation and/or lice. I would suggest that you inspect the affected areas and fur for lice and/or their eggs. Squirrel lice are very tiny (around 3mm give or take a millimeter or so and there are 25mm in an inch!) but they can be seen with unassisted vision. Mites, though are not really able to be seen without magnification. They can easily be seen under a microscope in a skin scraping. Just a suggestion would be to empirically (treatment based upon an educated guess or reasonable likelihood before a definitive diagnosis is available) give Meek a medication that can effectively treat lice, mites, fleas and more and is extremely safe! That medicine is Selamectin (a Brand name is Revolution) and in particular; use the preparation that is marketed for kittens (or dogs) under 5 pounds and is in a mauve colored package. All that is needed administer this is to separate the Meek's fur on the back of his neck between his shoulders and apply one single drop. Unfortunately this medication is by prescription only in the USA but it is commonly used and you or someone you know may have some. All of the Revolution made for Cats is the same strength (60mg/ml) and only the volume of the tube is varied so it doesn't make any difference which Cat preparation you get as all you need is 1 drop! The Revolution for dogs 5# or less is the same strength as that for Cats but the Revolution for dogs larger than 5# is double strength at 120mg/ml. If you only have a tube of the 120mg/ml preparation, this could easily be diluted by mixing a couple of drops of the Revolution with the same number of drops of clean, clear water and then simply apply one drop of this to Meek in the manner described. I would recommend trying this LaShae as Revolution is quite safe and may actually be of benefit. IF this is a fungal infection such as "ringworm," Selamectin will not be effective and an antifungal medication would be needed. The appearance of the lesions is not really typical of a fungal infection but may be so nevertheless.

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

LaShae1995 (02-10-2024)

Thank you for the info! I wills see if I can get some for a kitten 😸 and do what you said. If it doesn't hurt and may help I'll give it a shot. But still if anyone else has any advice I'd love to hear it. Also should I treat her brothers as they all 3 share a same nest however the boys don't have any marks like these. 🤔

Yes, you should treat them all. There’s no harm in using the medication…..it will kill any fleas, mites and their eggs. Selamectin (Revolution) can also be given orally by placing one drop on a nut and ensuring they eat it. I have treated many wilds for mange this way. It’s much safer than ivermectin.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-10-2024)

Thank you for the info! I wills see if I can get some for a kitten 😸 and do what you said. If it doesn't hurt and may help I'll give it a shot. But still if anyone else has any advice I'd love to hear it. Also should I treat her brothers as they all 3 share a same nest however the boys don't have any marks like these. 🤔
    https://www.canadavetexpress.com/fle...-cats/p56.aspx

25% off, too. Get the "pink" box for the puppies and kittens.

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-10-2024)

I seen these orange things on Meek the other two doesn't have them. So maybe they are chiggers? I know we do have chiggers here.

I don't have any resolution but my grandparents had these other flea products would they work?

Also the picture with the most orange dots is the biggest lump so maybe connected.

If these will not work can I try Ivermectin?

I would not use any of those products. You can use ivermectin but you must be very careful how much you use. It will have to be given orally. I’m going to defer to someone else for the proper product and dosing. I know there are different strengths of ivermectin and you want to get the correct strength.

You can order Revolution from Joes Pet Meds online from Australia with no prescription. I think it can also be ordered from Canada, but I don’t know the site.

The ivermectin you want is 1% injectable. See if you can locate that at a feed store or tractor supply. If you can then post that you’ve gotten it and myself or an admin can help you dilute it and dose it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast