Thread: Want to take a vacation-What do I do with my girl Peanut

Default Want to take a vacation-What do I do with my girl Peanut

Good afternoon everyone,
    I need a little advice. I have a non releasable girl who is now approximately 7 months old...Her name is "Peanut". My husband found her in our driveway after a storm.
    She was extremely small, eyes closed and very little fur. She was having breathing issues at the time, but with our help and help from a vet she survived! It was a family affair at first with feedings and care but now it is basically my husband and me. Peanut will tolorate my adult daughter, climbing on her and taking snacks from her, but she will not let my daughter to touch her. Peanut will actually growl at her if she approaches her cage...As far as my teenage grandson, Peanut just hates him! And he also helped in the beginning, but now she attacks him! But she is just the sweetest, loving little kid with me and my husband!! We can do ANYTHING to her and with her! We absolutely LOVE her!! But my husband has just been diagnosed with a rare disease that attacks his joints and possibly other internal organs...We have talked and would like to take a vacation while he can still walk. The issue is....WHAT DO WE DO WITH MISS PEANUT? How do I leave her with my daughter and grandson?
    Her routine is pretty simple...He sleeps in her cage all night awaking at 6:00 am everyday. We take her out for a few hours for breakfast and playtime...then goes back in for a nap...Later in the day, she is out again for another few hours for a snack and more playtime...back in while we have dinner and then out again for a few more hours until bedtime....Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can leave her with two people she doesn't like? I am not sure if they took her out of the cage, would they get her to go back in and would she attack them? Surely, I can't ask them to just put food and water in the cage and leave her in there for a week straight...
    Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Want to take a vacation-What do I do with my girl Peanut

First I want to say I'm very sorry for your husband's diagnosis and prayers are being sent and prayers can move mountains 🙏🙏🙏
    As far as Peanut goes all I can say is your daughter/ grandson need to suit up, heavy clothes safety glasses if they don't already wear glasses, leather gloves of some kind. I'd avoid reaching for her if they let her out or she gets out let her come to them.
    Try to have foods all prepared so they can quickly remove and put new food water in.
    Possibly a nut placed back in cage will get her back in but the door needs to be shut quickly making sure not to shut it on her.
    If she's in a squirrel safe room they may be able to wait till she decides to go back in.
    Good luck 🤞
    I'm sure others may have some good suggestions 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

Chirps (02-09-2024)

Your daughter and grandson may have to employ the same methods many rehabbers use when their squirrels have begun to turn wild, but the weather isn’t warm enough to release them.

First…it won’t be the end of the world if Miss Peanut isn’t allowed out of her cage for a week while you’re gone. I think it is better to err on the side of safety so your daughter, grandson and Miss Peanut don’t get hurt. It might be very difficult to get her to return to the cage if she is let out, unless she willingly returns when it gets dark. She will undoubtedly be angry with you when you return, but I think she’ll get over it.

If you decide for them to not allow her to be out then they will need to fix her food bowl the night before and put it in her cage before she wakes up in the morning, so about 5:00 am. Food and water can also be put in the cage when she’s sleeping in the afternoon or after she’s gone to bed for the night. Many rehabbers have to feed this way and don’t allow any out of cage time for the same reasons….being attacked and not being able to return them to the cage very easily.

Please be sure that you have eliminated any nut stashes she may have in her cage or around the house. It’s not u usual at all for squirrels to violently protect their nut stashes.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Chirps (02-09-2024)

Charley Chuckles:
    Thank you so much for your prayers! It truly means a lot! I still consider us to be young (at least young at heart :-) at 63 and 65. We will attack this with all we got!!
    Back to Miss Peanut....I think we will start now with having them "suit up" as you suggested. Practice having them handle her a little more with us here. Definitely sounds like a good idea!
    I do have another question though...As I mentioned, she is about 7 months old. I believe she is very well taken care of! Maybe a little chunky (LOL)
    Her fur has been changing right along....getting thicker etc....but kinda weird though. Seems like the last two areas, both of her sides, are still very thin. Sort of that baby fine fur....May I assume that this will all fill in with time? Is this normal?

Mel1959
    Also, thank you for your advice as well! If practicing with all three of them doesn't work out very well...I will definitely make sure we do what you outlined in your reply.
    You put my mind and heart more at ease regarding leaving her in the cage for a whole week. I don't think she'll be very happy about it, but nice to know she'll get over it.

We haven't made any actual plans just yet, but we will keep ya'll updated as to if and when we go.

Thanks again!
    Have a blessed night to you both!!
    Sue

Their fur changes with age and different times of the year. They molt.

When practicing with them suited up don't have them put their hands out, I've always crossed my arms tucked my hands in when dealing with a unfriendly squirrel, they love to go after hands OUCH .
    I'd also only have your daughter or your grandson one at a time so Peanut doesn't feel like they are ganging up on her
    One other thing I know from my squirrel experience that my sweet baby could turn on me if others get too close.....it's a squirrel thing 🙄
    They also don't like smells that they are not use to like perfumes/ shampoos.
    Good luck keep us posted 👍
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Charley Chuckles from:

SquirrelSue (02-07-2024)

I don’t know if I missed it but is she eating some type of rodent block? Captive squirrels must eat a rodent block. Henry’s blocks from Henryshealthypets.com are very well liked and available online. Envigo Harlan Teklad 2018 or 2014 is also available online but not as tasty.

Also please know that when squirrels mature most can become aggressive, even with their “people” when they are in estrus or for a male when he’s ready to mate.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (02-07-2024), SquirrelSue (02-08-2024)