Thread: Tail degloving injury

Exclamation Tail degloving injury

Hello all,

I've learned so much from reading this board and I really appreciate the wisdom everyone shares.

One of my wild friends, Cassie, showed up with a tail injury that happened some time in the past week. She is running around, eating, climbing as usual, but I'm wondering if there is anything more I can/should do for her. I know from reading this board that tail degloving is common and squirrels tend to recover well after exposed bone dries up and comes off. In this case, there is also a lot of flesh injury too and it seems very swollen. From watching her move, I think there is also a break in her tail at about the level of where fur is still attached.

Here are some pictures:
    Name:  0JF8K50.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  141.0 KB
    Name:  2fEgMbg.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  141.2 KB
    Name:  fiyYB9X.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  137.4 KB
    Name:  LJEzLUd.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  96.5 KB
    Name:  o3C55KA.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  129.7 KB
    Name:  tlyoh4v.jpg
Size:  138.5 KB
    Name:  VqbDef2.jpg
Size:  134.3 KB

Here's an Imgur link if that's better:
    https://imgur.com/a/WZ4QkAW

Please let me know what you all think about her injury and how I can support her! Ensure nutrition? Medications? Capture and rehab? She is gentle and sweet, but not accustomed to being handled or touched. For reference, we're in Metro Detroit.

Thank you!

Default Re: Tail degloving injury

Typically what happens is the part that is dead will dry up and fall off or she’ll chew it off. You can watch it in case it gets inflammed or oozing. If that happens it might be necessary to intervene. The portion of the tail that’s still alive will regrow hair.

I’d support her with some fresh healthy food like avocado (no skin or pit), coconut chunks, fresh corn on the cob and sweet potato or butternut squash chunks….and a fresh water source. She should recover from this just fine, but it being winter some extra nutrition can’t hurt.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SojiCoppelia (03-17-2024)

Default Re: Tail degloving injury UPDATE

Our sweet girl Cassie is recovering really well. Thanks for the reassurance!

Name:  IMG_5657.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  84.7 KB

Thumbs up Re: Tail degloving injury

So happy to see her healing up so well!!! That's awesome and I must say she sure is an absolutely Beautiful Squirrel...😍 Take Care~