Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Smile Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    My favorite squirrel who comes over daily for snacks seems to have an eye injury - it looks like a laceration. I believe he can no longer see out of the eye, but is trusting enough to face me with the blind eye. Is there anything that can be done for him or hope that his eyesight can come back? I have meloxicam and terramycin ointment, but as friendly as he is towards me, Iím not so sure heíd allow me to apply it. Any suggestions to help this little guy? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    My favorite squirrel who comes over daily for snacks seems to have an eye injury - it looks like a laceration. I believe he can no longer see out of the eye, but is trusting enough to face me with the blind eye. Is there anything that can be done for him or hope that his eyesight can come back? I have meloxicam and terramycin ointment, but as friendly as he is towards me, Iím not so sure heíd allow me to apply it. Any suggestions to help this little guy? Thanks!
    Hi tmarie: I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response to you post! I am at work and will need to BUMP this back into view for others. You photo is of very good quality! Do you have others and can you post them as well? A couple of questions that may help others (I will get back to your post as time permits but not predictable); is the Squirrel's eye cloudy or clear? Can you actually see a definitive laceration on the eye or the eyelid? Is there any drainage? Is the any swelling? What is the strength of the Meloxicam and please verify that the Terramycin is OPHTHALMIC Ointment. I agree that it will probably be very difficult to get ointment and even drops into the eye. Meloxicam for pain can be delivered indirectly in some food item so it may be easier. Do you have any systemic antibiotics available and if so, please let us know what they are and their strengths.

    How is your Squirrel doing today?

    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

    tmarie15 (01-30-2024)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi tmarie: I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response to you post! I am at work and will need to BUMP this back into view for others. You photo is of very good quality! Do you have others and can you post them as well? A couple of questions that may help others (I will get back to your post as time permits but not predictable); is the Squirrel's eye cloudy or clear? Can you actually see a definitive laceration on the eye or the eyelid? Is there any drainage? Is the any swelling? What is the strength of the Meloxicam and please verify that the Terramycin is OPHTHALMIC Ointment. I agree that it will probably be very difficult to get ointment and even drops into the eye. Meloxicam for pain can be delivered indirectly in some food item so it may be easier. Do you have any systemic antibiotics available and if so, please let us know what they are and their strengths.

    How is your Squirrel doing today?

    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

    Thank you so much for replying! I unfortunately donít have any more photos of his eye, but I will try my best to take some more when I see him again today; I havenít seen him yet! His eye is cloudy in the middle, I do believe it is also ulcerated there but I canít be 100% certain on that. It does look irritated and pink around his eye though. I donít believe he can see out of it, or it is very minimal. He doesnít seem to respond to movement on that side. When he first came over with the injury his eye was watery, which I no longer notice. His eye is also retracted, which I know with Guinea pigs is a sign of pain and injury mostly from hay poke, so that makes me wonder if he poked it on something! I have 1.5 mg Meloxicam, the Terramycin is ophthalmic ointment and I also have Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution 0.3%. Unfortunately I do not have any systemic antibiotics available. I appreciate your help so much! ◡̈

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    Thank you so much for replying! I unfortunately donít have any more photos of his eye, but I will try my best to take some more when I see him again today; I havenít seen him yet! His eye is cloudy in the middle, I do believe it is also ulcerated there but I canít be 100% certain on that. It does look irritated and pink around his eye though. I donít believe he can see out of it, or it is very minimal. He doesnít seem to respond to movement on that side. When he first came over with the injury his eye was watery, which I no longer notice. His eye is also retracted, which I know with Guinea pigs is a sign of pain and injury mostly from hay poke, so that makes me wonder if he poked it on something! I have 1.5 mg Meloxicam, the Terramycin is ophthalmic ointment and I also have Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution 0.3%. Unfortunately I do not have any systemic antibiotics available. I appreciate your help so much! ◡̈
    Thanks for your reply, TMarie! I hope you can get more photos as it is difficult, even with the detail your photo contains to definitively see what is going on. I need to tell you as I have prefaced many posts on others threads; that I am not a Veterinarian and being more specific, I am not an ophthalmologist (a Vet or physician who specializes in eyes) but I will make some comments for what they may be worth. Eye injuries are very common in nature and with Squirrels bounding through the trees or being attacked by some predator makes these little creatures quite vulnerable to eye injuries.

    The appearance of a sunken eye is extremely unlikely to actually be from a sunken eye although it is possible. This would ordinarily require fractures of the bones behind or surrounding the eye. Also, if the globe (the eyeball itself) is ruptured it can somewhat sunken but the usual cause for an eye to appear sunken is when the surrounding eyelids and skin are swollen! There may be significant swelling of this Little One's eyelids from injury! Do you see a definitive laceration somewhere? If there is cloudiness behind the pupil (the area that actually allows light to enter the eye, this may be a cloudiness of the lens which is called a cataract. It can be caused by trauma. Cloudiness of the entire cornea (the front clear part of the eye) can be caused by pus behind the cornea, a problem called uveitis which can result from trauma or other causes and can lead to increased pressure within the eye called glaucoma.

    Ideally, this Squirrel should be seen ASAP by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist who can perform a proper exam and make appropriate diagnoses! I realize that this is a dream and it would of course require trapping the Squirrel which would likely be easier than than finding a Veterinary Ophthalmologist willing to see not just a Squirrel but a wild one at that! In reality, TMarie, anything you do out of concern and hope for this Squirrel will be more than nature offers and as I've always said, love is the rarest of all gifts a wild animal could ever receive!

    Applying eyedrops or eye ointment to a wild Squirrel's eye will be a daunting task indeed but this will be nothing compared to the difficulty in giving the second dose! I believe that this will really be impossible unless this Squirrel is trapped, restrained, caged, and restrained again and again to facilitate dosing of medication! These would be severe and quite possibly life-threatening stressors for this Squirrel and only a little bit less for you! Pet Squirrels often will let medication be place in there eyes but they too, usually need to be restrained. All that being said, the Terramycin ointment will be present after application longer than will the Ofloxacin solution but I have not used Terramycin on a Squirrel. Others may have some experience with this. It contains a medication in the tetracycline family an polymixin B. It would probably be ok to use. I have some direct experience using Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution and it is in fact my favorite for corneal ulcers and for treating a cornea scratches to help prevent ulceration and even for a conjunctivitis. But once again, its just going to be very difficult to treat this Squirrel in the wild and the stress of a capture, caging, and repeated restraining; especially without sedation can take a serious toll on the Squirrel and on you!

    Please post any new photos and keep on with the updates. I'm sorry about my pessimistic sounding comments (I just reread them)! I hope that a miracle can occur!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, TMarie! I hope you can get more photos as it is difficult, even with the detail your photo contains to definitively see what is going on. I need to tell you as I have prefaced many posts on others threads; that I am not a Veterinarian and being more specific, I am not an ophthalmologist (a Vet or physician who specializes in eyes) but I will make some comments for what they may be worth. Eye injuries are very common in nature and with Squirrels bounding through the trees or being attacked by some predator makes these little creatures quite vulnerable to eye injuries.

    The appearance of a sunken eye is extremely unlikely to actually be from a sunken eye although it is possible. This would ordinarily require fractures of the bones behind or surrounding the eye. Also, if the globe (the eyeball itself) is ruptured it can somewhat sunken but the usual cause for an eye to appear sunken is when the surrounding eyelids and skin are swollen! There may be significant swelling of this Little One's eyelids from injury! Do you see a definitive laceration somewhere? If there is cloudiness behind the pupil (the area that actually allows light to enter the eye, this may be a cloudiness of the lens which is called a cataract. It can be caused by trauma. Cloudiness of the entire cornea (the front clear part of the eye) can be caused by pus behind the cornea, a problem called uveitis which can result from trauma or other causes and can lead to increased pressure within the eye called glaucoma.

    Ideally, this Squirrel should be seen ASAP by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist who can perform a proper exam and make appropriate diagnoses! I realize that this is a dream and it would of course require trapping the Squirrel which would likely be easier than than finding a Veterinary Ophthalmologist willing to see not just a Squirrel but a wild one at that! In reality, TMarie, anything you do out of concern and hope for this Squirrel will be more than nature offers and as I've always said, love is the rarest of all gifts a wild animal could ever receive!

    Applying eyedrops or eye ointment to a wild Squirrel's eye will be a daunting task indeed but this will be nothing compared to the difficulty in giving the second dose! I believe that this will really be impossible unless this Squirrel is trapped, restrained, caged, and restrained again and again to facilitate dosing of medication! These would be severe and quite possibly life-threatening stressors for this Squirrel and only a little bit less for you! Pet Squirrels often will let medication be place in there eyes but they too, usually need to be restrained. All that being said, the Terramycin ointment will be present after application longer than will the Ofloxacin solution but I have not used Terramycin on a Squirrel. Others may have some experience with this. It contains a medication in the tetracycline family an polymixin B. It would probably be ok to use. I have some direct experience using Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution and it is in fact my favorite for corneal ulcers and for treating a cornea scratches to help prevent ulceration and even for a conjunctivitis. But once again, its just going to be very difficult to treat this Squirrel in the wild and the stress of a capture, caging, and repeated restraining; especially without sedation can take a serious toll on the Squirrel and on you!

    Please post any new photos and keep on with the updates. I'm sorry about my pessimistic sounding comments (I just reread them)! I hope that a miracle can occur!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

    Hello! I was able to give the squirrel a little bit of Meloxicam on a pecan. I didnít see him for a couple of days after that, but he came back today all wet from the California rain and it seems as if his eye looks completely normal! I didnít notice anymore swelling around the eye either, but I wasnít able to snap a photo unfortunately. Do their eyes usually heal up quickly? Iím so glad his eye doesnít visibly seem to be bothering him anymore!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, TMarie! I hope you can get more photos as it is difficult, even with the detail your photo contains to definitively see what is going on. I need to tell you as I have prefaced many posts on others threads; that I am not a Veterinarian and being more specific, I am not an ophthalmologist (a Vet or physician who specializes in eyes) but I will make some comments for what they may be worth. Eye injuries are very common in nature and with Squirrels bounding through the trees or being attacked by some predator makes these little creatures quite vulnerable to eye injuries.

    The appearance of a sunken eye is extremely unlikely to actually be from a sunken eye although it is possible. This would ordinarily require fractures of the bones behind or surrounding the eye. Also, if the globe (the eyeball itself) is ruptured it can somewhat sunken but the usual cause for an eye to appear sunken is when the surrounding eyelids and skin are swollen! There may be significant swelling of this Little One's eyelids from injury! Do you see a definitive laceration somewhere? If there is cloudiness behind the pupil (the area that actually allows light to enter the eye, this may be a cloudiness of the lens which is called a cataract. It can be caused by trauma. Cloudiness of the entire cornea (the front clear part of the eye) can be caused by pus behind the cornea, a problem called uveitis which can result from trauma or other causes and can lead to increased pressure within the eye called glaucoma.

    Ideally, this Squirrel should be seen ASAP by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist who can perform a proper exam and make appropriate diagnoses! I realize that this is a dream and it would of course require trapping the Squirrel which would likely be easier than than finding a Veterinary Ophthalmologist willing to see not just a Squirrel but a wild one at that! In reality, TMarie, anything you do out of concern and hope for this Squirrel will be more than nature offers and as I've always said, love is the rarest of all gifts a wild animal could ever receive!

    Applying eyedrops or eye ointment to a wild Squirrel's eye will be a daunting task indeed but this will be nothing compared to the difficulty in giving the second dose! I believe that this will really be impossible unless this Squirrel is trapped, restrained, caged, and restrained again and again to facilitate dosing of medication! These would be severe and quite possibly life-threatening stressors for this Squirrel and only a little bit less for you! Pet Squirrels often will let medication be place in there eyes but they too, usually need to be restrained. All that being said, the Terramycin ointment will be present after application longer than will the Ofloxacin solution but I have not used Terramycin on a Squirrel. Others may have some experience with this. It contains a medication in the tetracycline family an polymixin B. It would probably be ok to use. I have some direct experience using Ofloxacin ophthalmic solution and it is in fact my favorite for corneal ulcers and for treating a cornea scratches to help prevent ulceration and even for a conjunctivitis. But once again, its just going to be very difficult to treat this Squirrel in the wild and the stress of a capture, caging, and repeated restraining; especially without sedation can take a serious toll on the Squirrel and on you!

    Please post any new photos and keep on with the updates. I'm sorry about my pessimistic sounding comments (I just reread them)! I hope that a miracle can occur!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

    Please disregard my last message, there have been new squirrels coming over who look identical, it unfortunately wasn’t him. He just came back and his eye looks a little worse. I have attached some photos. He did take a little more meloxicam on some pecans! I also tried to drop some Ofloxicin in, since he can’t see out of that eye it actually worked and a little bit got in!

    https://i.imghippo.com/files/0go1L1706826249.png

    https://i.imghippo.com/files/oKdEJ1706826628.png

    https://i.imghippo.com/files/DsBog1706826420.png

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?


  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    Please disregard my last message, there have been new squirrels coming over who look identical, it unfortunately wasnít him. He just came back and his eye looks a little worse. I have attached some photos. He did take a little more meloxicam on some pecans! I also tried to drop some Ofloxicin in, since he canít see out of that eye it actually worked and a little bit got in!

    Oh no! This looks terrible! The quality of your photos is exceptional and I am able to enlarge them considerably without them becoming pixelated! This sadly appears to me to be an ocular disaster as this does seem to be an actual "sunken" eye from a corneal laceration or rupture! I had said in an earlier post this was a relatively rare situation compared with swelling of the eyelids and surrounding skin of the eye leading to the appearance but not the actuality of a sunken eye. Studying your photos, there appears to me to be a vertically oriented laceration or linear rupture of the cornea (the clear part of the eye overlying what is called the anterior chamber) of the left eye. This defect in the cornea would tend to lead to drainage of the fluid behind the cornea called the Aqueous Humor which normally fills the anterior chamber and this loss of that fluid resulted in a flattening effect of the cornea. If this appearance is truly what is going on is not artifactual from shadows or reflections, it is a tragic diagnosis!

    Ideally, this little Squirrel should be seen by a Veterinary Ophthalmologist for an evaluation and what would probably (in my opinion) be a surgical enucleation (removal) of the eye to potentially help minimize the likelihood of infection and ongoing discomfort but I know that there is virtually no chance of this this occurring and there is probably no chance of saving the eye anyway; even if an ophthalmologist would miraculously show up in the Squirrels nest!

    In emergencies with all variables being ideal (which is far from the case here!); there are potential treatments for defects through the anterior chamber of the eye but I certainly could not say what an ophthalmologist would recommend in this case. In "ideal" emergency cases there are things that can be done for a perforation into the anterior chamber (behind the cornea) such as giving Doxycycline which may actually help with restoration the collagen component of the defect and also potentially help with infection prevention and medications such a Timolol can also be given which helps decrease the aqueous humor. But again, in practicality; my own humble opinion is that there are no realistic options for intervention in this case!

    Thank you for your concern for this little Squirrel. The Meloxicam can certainly help with pain! The Ofloxacin may help prevent infection! I wish the best for this Squirrel and for you too, TMarie! Please keep on with the updates!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Hi TMarie:
    Again, assuming that what the photos seem to show (a corneal laceration or rupture and a flattening of the eye) is what is actually going on, this is a very sad occurrence but I did want to ask one additional question. Do you had any systemic antibiotics (any oral antibiotics)? If so and you and are willing to try using these (any medication is very difficult to optimally utilize for treating a wild and dosing is usually unpredictable and incomplete or even impossible), would you please list what antibiotics you have and their strengths and one of the Admins can help with mixing and dosing instructions if they agree on this approach. Ordinarily, if there was an ophthalmologist "on the case," the animal was captive and the goal was to repair the defect and save the eye (which at this stage may be impossible); probably intravenous antibiotics would be utilized and the use of Ofloxacin drops or any topical antibiotic drops would probably not be utilized. In this Squirrel's sad situation, the only good thing going for him is you and your caring about him and for him! Quite possibly, even if nothing further is done or can be done; all may very well turn out ok except for the loss of the left eye which may then pose some survival risk issues.

    Thanks again for caring about this Squirrel! For wild animal; the only love they may ever receive; and it is the rarest of gifts, is after a terrible incident such as this and from a caring and loving person such as yourself!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi TMarie:
    Again, assuming that what the photos seem to show (a corneal laceration or rupture and a flattening of the eye) is what is actually going on, this is a very sad occurrence but I did want to ask one additional question. Do you had any systemic antibiotics (any oral antibiotics)? If so and you and are willing to try using these (any medication is very difficult to optimally utilize for treating a wild and dosing is usually unpredictable and incomplete or even impossible), would you please list what antibiotics you have and their strengths and one of the Admins can help with mixing and dosing instructions if they agree on this approach. Ordinarily, if there was an ophthalmologist "on the case," the animal was captive and the goal was to repair the defect and save the eye (which at this stage may be impossible); probably intravenous antibiotics would be utilized and the use of Ofloxacin drops or any topical antibiotic drops would probably not be utilized. In this Squirrel's sad situation, the only good thing going for him is you and your caring about him and for him! Quite possibly, even if nothing further is done or can be done; all may very well turn out ok except for the loss of the left eye which may then pose some survival risk issues.

    Thanks again for caring about this Squirrel! For wild animal; the only love they may ever receive; and it is the rarest of gifts, is after a terrible incident such as this and from a caring and loving person such as yourself!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

    Itís such a bummer seeing how bad his eye looks! Poor guy. While he eats heís definitely jolting his head a bit from the pain, Iím not sure if that would be a sign of infection or just nerve pain perhaps? I wish I was able to catch him to bring to a vet, heís way too quick! I unfortunately do not have any systemic antibiotics anymore. I recently had doxycycline and SMZ/TMP for a chinchilla but itís all out. That wouldíve been perfect to try for this guy! I just have the Ofloxican and Terramycin ointment left. He made a few quick trips over today for a snack, so I wasnít able to try to give the drops again. He did get a bit of Meloxicam! I sent his photos over to an exotic vet who works with wildlife, so Iím hoping to hear back from them soon and see if they have any suggestions. Iíd love to be able to help him out some more! I appreciate all of your knowledge!!

  13. #12
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    Itís such a bummer seeing how bad his eye looks! Poor guy. While he eats heís definitely jolting his head a bit from the pain, Iím not sure if that would be a sign of infection or just nerve pain perhaps? I wish I was able to catch him to bring to a vet, heís way too quick! I unfortunately do not have any systemic antibiotics anymore. I recently had doxycycline and SMZ/TMP for a chinchilla but itís all out. That wouldíve been perfect to try for this guy! I just have the Ofloxican and Terramycin ointment left. He made a few quick trips over today for a snack, so I wasnít able to try to give the drops again. He did get a bit of Meloxicam! I sent his photos over to an exotic vet who works with wildlife, so Iím hoping to hear back from them soon and see if they have any suggestions. Iíd love to be able to help him out some more! I appreciate all of your knowledge!!
    Thanks for the update, TMarie! Please post what the Vet had so say! Is the Exotic Vet someone who might be able to see this Squirrel if he was somehow humanely trapped (the Squirrel, not the Vet!)?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Exclamation Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thanks for the update, TMarie! Please post what the Vet had so say! Is the Exotic Vet someone who might be able to see this Squirrel if he was somehow humanely trapped (the Squirrel, not the Vet!)?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    I was thinking the vet would offer to help, but I was just told to contact animal control unfortunately. I donít think there are many happy endings for squirrels when animal control is involved, so I donít really want to go that route! I guess I can just continue to give some meloxicam and the Ofloxacin drops! Iím hoping it can heal to where heís not in any pain, although Iím aware the eyesight wonít ever come back.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    I was thinking the vet would offer to help, but I was just told to contact animal control unfortunately. I donít think there are many happy endings for squirrels when animal control is involved, so I donít really want to go that route! I guess I can just continue to give some meloxicam and the Ofloxacin drops! Iím hoping it can heal to where heís not in any pain, although Iím aware the eyesight wonít ever come back.
    Thank you, TMarie, for your concern and for what you are doing to help this unfortunate little Squirrel! It is too bad that the Vet wouldn't offer his opinion or make some suggestions but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as maybe he thought that it is a risk for him do so when no professional relationship exists and he has not examined the Squirrel. You are quite right with your suspicions about local Animal Control and that goes goes worse for Game Wardens and Wildlife Departments! Please keep us updated on your Squirrel's condition and how you are doing with your kind treatments!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thank you, TMarie, for your concern and for what you are doing to help this unfortunate little Squirrel! It is too bad that the Vet wouldn't offer his opinion or make some suggestions but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as maybe he thought that it is a risk for him do so when no professional relationship exists and he has not examined the Squirrel. You are quite right with your suspicions about local Animal Control and that goes goes worse for Game Wardens and Wildlife Departments! Please keep us updated on your Squirrel's condition and how you are doing with your kind treatments!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

    I was able to get a couple photos of his eye today, it doesnít seem as swollen around as it was before, but the eye itself obviously doesnít look good! He is no longer jolting his head when he eats, so Iím assuming the daily bit of Meloxicam has been helping a bit ◡̈Name:  D8B110F7-A0B5-412D-8523-75E5F172D75E.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  485.6 KBName:  1A377C86-822E-4B18-9D1F-5E0D35C4CB9B.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  472.2 KB

  17. #16
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    I was able to get a couple photos of his eye today, it doesnít seem as swollen around as it was before, but the eye itself obviously doesnít look good! He is no longer jolting his head when he eats, so Iím assuming the daily bit of Meloxicam has been helping a bit ◡̈
    Hi TMarie:
    Thanks again for what you are doing to help this Squirrel! I too view the edema around the eye as having improved! The eye itself of course is "bad!" When I look closely at your new photos, it appears to me that there is a tiny drop of whitish fluid at the original defect in the cornea. Of course; and I hope this is the case; it can be the angle, reflections or shadows but If this is as it appears to me; this is probably pus and indicates an infection which given the nature and extent of the original injury; this isn't very surprising! It's a very significant complication, however! You are doing all you can for this Little One and I just hope he does as good as can be imagined considering the injury!
    Thanks and regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

    tmarie15 (02-05-2024)

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi TMarie:
    Thanks again for what you are doing to help this Squirrel! I too view the edema around the eye as having improved! The eye itself of course is "bad!" When I look closely at your new photos, it appears to me that there is a tiny drop of whitish fluid at the original defect in the cornea. Of course; and I hope this is the case; it can be the angle, reflections or shadows but If this is as it appears to me; this is probably pus and indicates an infection which given the nature and extent of the original injury; this isn't very surprising! It's a very significant complication, however! You are doing all you can for this Little One and I just hope he does as good as can be imagined considering the injury!
    Thanks and regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Hi!! Absolutely! Heís such an awesome little guy with no fear! Luckily, I do think itís just the lighting making his eye appear as if there is fluid on it, although I see exactly why youíd observe that! It doesnít look like the laceration of the cornea shows as deep as it did in the prior photos - it just looks like a minor black line is left in the middle of the cornea, where as before it looked wider and deep. Iíll try to get some better photos once this rain stops. I was curious to know if youíre aware of any signs that show the approximate age of a squirrel? Iíve noticed with this guy his nails are shorter and more sharp, where as the majority of the other ones I see have very long nails - unless he is just wearing them down more than everyone else! It does seem as if heís the leader here after all! Thanks again for your input!

  20. #18
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    Hi!! Absolutely! Heís such an awesome little guy with no fear! Luckily, I do think itís just the lighting making his eye appear as if there is fluid on it, although I see exactly why youíd observe that! It doesnít look like the laceration of the cornea shows as deep as it did in the prior photos - it just looks like a minor black line is left in the middle of the cornea, where as before it looked wider and deep. Iíll try to get some better photos once this rain stops. I was curious to know if youíre aware of any signs that show the approximate age of a squirrel? Iíve noticed with this guy his nails are shorter and more sharp, where as the majority of the other ones I see have very long nails - unless he is just wearing them down more than everyone else! It does seem as if heís the leader here after all! Thanks again for your input!
    Thanks TMarie! I'm glad that what appeared to be purulent drainage is not actually the case!! Also, even more encouraging is that it appears to you that the original defect seems to be improving! Hopefully no infection or other dreaded (or otherwise) complications will occur and this Squirrel will be soon be back to his usual base-line state albeit without sight in his left eye! By the way, have you named him yet?

    As far as determining (guessing!) the age of an adult Squirrel, I am not aware of any consistent or close to accurate means to do so. With babies, we can get a very good approximation of their ages as there are certain developmental stages that the pass through that are associated with their age. Adults obviously are no longer developing and the process of aging does not occur in an easily recognizable and orderly fashion as the growth stages! I suppose that there may be some "Squirrel-whisperers" somewhere who are so intuned to Squirrels that they can infer their age as adults but in reality, once a Squirrel reaches adulthood and they are out and about, the process of aging is less noticeable to us than the effects of injuries, parasites, disease and other environmental factors.

    Please keep on with the updates!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2024
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 2

    Red face Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Thanks TMarie! I'm glad that what appeared to be purulent drainage is not actually the case!! Also, even more encouraging is that it appears to you that the original defect seems to be improving! Hopefully no infection or other dreaded (or otherwise) complications will occur and this Squirrel will be soon be back to his usual base-line state albeit without sight in his left eye! By the way, have you named him yet?

    As far as determining (guessing!) the age of an adult Squirrel, I am not aware of any consistent or close to accurate means to do so. With babies, we can get a very good approximation of their ages as there are certain developmental stages that the pass through that are associated with their age. Adults obviously are no longer developing and the process of aging does not occur in an easily recognizable and orderly fashion as the growth stages! I suppose that there may be some "Squirrel-whisperers" somewhere who are so intuned to Squirrels that they can infer their age as adults but in reality, once a Squirrel reaches adulthood and they are out and about, the process of aging is less noticeable to us than the effects of injuries, parasites, disease and other environmental factors.

    Please keep on with the updates!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Iím so glad as well! Iíll definitely be keeping a close eye on it to ensure itís not getting worse. I did name him Chunk heís the biggest one out of everyone who comes by for snacks and water, and before his eye injury heíd stand up at the door waiting for a snack, walking right in for it as soon as the door opens! I tried to give everyone a name, but I do believe one that visits frequently (Sadie) is pregnant or possibly already had her babies. She was pretty small when she first started coming over so I figured she was a baby herself! Iíll put some photos of her to see if you might be able to confirm! These squirrels are just so much fun to watch and interact with!

    https://i.imghippo.com/files/MYPJI1707170466.png
    https://i.imghippo.com/files/Rximp1707170511.jpg
    https://i.imghippo.com/files/Lb1tJ1707170549.jpg

  22. #20
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Southwestern USA
    Posts
    1,275
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Wild squirrel with eye injury?

    Quote Originally Posted by tmarie15 View Post
    Iím so glad as well! Iíll definitely be keeping a close eye on it to ensure itís not getting worse. I did name him Chunk heís the biggest one out of everyone who comes by for snacks and water, and before his eye injury heíd stand up at the door waiting for a snack, walking right in for it as soon as the door opens! I tried to give everyone a name, but I do believe one that visits frequently (Sadie) is pregnant or possibly already had her babies. She was pretty small when she first started coming over so I figured she was a baby herself! Iíll put some photos of her to see if you might be able to confirm! These squirrels are just so much fun to watch and interact with!

    https://i.imghippo.com/files/MYPJI1707170466.png
    https://i.imghippo.com/files/Rximp1707170511.jpg
    https://i.imghippo.com/files/Lb1tJ1707170549.jpg
    Thanks TMarie! Please tell Chunk that I said hello and Sadie too! I looked at Sadie's photos and I'll just give my opinion on the pregnancy/babies question. This is the time when babies can be expected but still relatively early! I do suspect, however, that Sadie has given already given birth and is nursing babies. The reasons for my believing this are that Sadie's abdomen does not seem particularly enlarged as it would ordinarily be if she was pregnant and the fur surrounding her nipples seems somewhat separated from around the nipples and flattened and matted somewhat. For squirrels who are not lactating and feeding babies, the fur around the nipples tends to appear as fur anywhere else and is pretty much fluffy rather than flattened or matted.

    I feel the same way you do about watching Squirrels! I never tire of doing so! They are fascinating little creatures!

    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •