Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Surgeries

Default Re: Upcoming Surgeries

He may be not eating them because it hurts to bite down on things right now.

You can try chopping one of them up very, very fine and mix it with just enough yogurt or even a little dab of peanut butter so that you can get the crumbs to hold together. Mash the mixture into little balls and offer that. If the yogurt or peanut butter is a no go, you can try some baby food to use as the "glue."

Yea I figured that was the case so I've crushed and mixed them with baby food as well as avacado. He's not taking it so I mixed avacado and his vitamins. He will take very small portions at a time.

Is he drinking water? For just a short time you could offer a little homey in water, syringe it sometimes that increases their appetite plus gives some hydration and at least something in his tummy.
    I remember the slight discharge your talking about unless it gets worse it's normal.
    Prayers continue 🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

He's drinking water well. Still sneezing a good bit and sleeping a lot. I can get him to eat just very small amounts at a time. I really do appreciate all the advise and support. I hope I'm not driving you guys crazy, this is all just so scary. Especially with Dr. Emerson being so far away.
    They didn't give me a lot of info on what to watch for. When I asked they just said make sure he's breathing ok. So I'm trying not to let my anxiety get the best of me. I know that once we get through this procedure and recovery the next one will be easier since I'll know what to expect.

You absolutely are not driving us crazy ( however just speaking of myself it would be a short drive 🤣 )
    I'm glad he's drinking, eating somewhat 👏
    He's on meds and has been through quite an invasive procedure so sleeping/ not eating as much is to be expected. I did cheat a little when my Conker had the surgery, I snuck him a little melted icecream SHHHHHH I never said that 🤫🤭 I didn't care when I had my wisdom teeth out my mom gave me icecream 🍦😁

I've been though this surgery twice with my boy and have helped many others ....post op instructions are pretty much....
    Give the antibiotics as directed....
    Give metacam as directed.....
    Use nose/ port hole drops till it's closed ( I kept using them till the drops just ran off the fur as the Port closes fairly quick....
    Rest would be to keep doing what your doing, you got this 👍
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

*Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

Lol I love you guys 😂🩷

Quote Originally Posted by Kalee View Post
    Lol I love you guys 😂🩷
    We are just a bunch of squirrel family nuts 😁🐿️❤️

Have you been told about making boo balls? This may be a way to provide nutrition in a softer form. There’s recipes in the Squirrel Nutrition section. I use Envigo Harlan Teklad block for mine. If Elliot doesnt like them at first you can try changing the baby foods that are added and see if there’s one he prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Have you been told about making boo balls? This may be a way to provide nutrition in a softer form. There’s recipes in the Squirrel Nutrition section. I use Envigo Harlan Teklad block for mine. If Elliot doesnt like them at first you can try changing the baby foods that are added and see if there’s one he prefers.
    I'm sorry, I missed your reply somehow. I haven't tried the boo balls exactly but I have crushed his henrys blocks in about every form of baby food you can think of that he's allowed to have. The only way I can get him to take them is in avacado. And even that is in small amounts. Better than before but still small amounts. I've gotten the bene-bac but it was difficult to convert that huge syringe into the dose he needs. So I'm sure I may not be giving enough of that. He refuses yogurt.

UPDATE:
    Elliott seems to have a good day followed by a not so good day. He's eating a little more but only if I crush his blocks up in avacado. And only in small amounts at a time.
    His breathing sounded great until yesterday. Now there's a very stuffy sound when he breaths. I am still cleaning his nose regularly so it's not that. The noise is there even when it's all clean. I don't seem to hear it as much when he's sleeping. There's no gagging like they told me to look for but the stuffy sound is so worrisome. The only think I can think of is that we finished the anti-inflammatory meds Friday so maybe there's some inflammation in the nasal passage now?
    It's also turned extremely cold here in SC so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm going to the store after church to get a handheld nebulizer to see if he'll let me use that.
    He still sleeps a lot. He slept most of the day yesterday. I woke him this morning to give meds (which he hates and I feel like he hates seeing me coming now which breaks my heart) and he stayed up exploring for about an hour before I had to get a shower.
    I really wish there were more instructions for after care. Just like what is normal and what's for this period in recovery. I'm constantly a nervous wreck.
    Again, sorry for all the typos. The board is TINY on my phone and my phone is notorious for changing my Os to Is

I’m sorry that Elliot’s still having “off” days. As long as he’s on medicines I think his appetite will be impacted. I wish I was closer I’d bring you some boo balls to try. They probably are worth trying since he’s going to need soft foods from now on. They must not taste too terrible since my wilds will eat them!

Will Elliot take formula? You could give that a try. Another item that we’ve found some squirrels like is pecan flavored Ensure…..as well as Nutella or almond butter. As for the Benebac….i don’t think it’s possible to give too much probiotic.

Funny thing…when I had my released girl inside for treatment which required meds to be given I gave her a treat of a small piece of graham cracker after her medicine……in an effort to keep her from hating me. Now that she’s back out in the trees I call her down for her “cookie” at the end of the day. She knows exactly what that is!

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

island rehabber (01-21-2024)

I will find the recipe for the boo balls and try that for sure. I'm willing to do anything. I was hoping to avoid having to make something because I'm TERRIBLE at math and conversions and I'm scared ill mess it up. My strength in school has always been more science/ELA/reading. But I will try anything to help my sweet boy.

Tomahawk flyers just posted his recipe for homemade blocks. Here’s the link: https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65#post1365565

You could try them in addition to boo balls and see what Elliot thinks.

My boo ball recipe which requires no baking and does not require precise measurements is:

2 cups rodent block like Harlan Teklad 2014 or 2018 ground to a powder (Ninja blender or similar)
    1/2 to 1 cup ground nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
    Baby food
    Avocado or melted coconut oil
    Powdered FV 20/50, if you have it

Grind the block and nuts and add to a large bowl. Mix with hands to break up the nut clumps. Add FV, if using, and mix. Add a variety of veggie/fruit baby foods or applesauce and oil (s) till the mixture holds together but isn’t sticky. The oils are what helps you achieve this. Once that consistency is reached then just roll into small 1/2” balls and store in the refrigerator in a covered container.

You can experiment with the baby foods flavors until you find one that’s agreeable. Adding some fruit ones with banana helps it be a little sweeter. There’s a baby food variety that is apple, kale and avocado that I like to use. The recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc.

There’s no way to mess this recipe up. Add your liquid ingredients a little at a time so it isn’t too sticky. If it is too sticky, grind a few blocks and add it to make it less sticky. ��

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (01-21-2024)

UPDATE:
    Elliott seems to have a good day followed by a not so good day. He's eating a little more but only if I crush his blocks up in avacado. And only in small amounts at a time.
    His breathing sounded great until yesterday. Now there's a very stuffy sound when he breaths. I am still cleaning his nose regularly so it's not that. The noise is there even when it's all clean. I don't seem to hear it as much when he's sleeping. There's no gagging like they told me to look for but the stuffy sound is so worrisome. The only think I can think of is that we finished the anti-inflammatory meds Friday so maybe there's some inflammation in the nasal passage now?
    It's also turned extremely cold here in SC so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm going to the store after church to get a handheld nebulizer to see if he'll let me use that.
    He still sleeps a lot. He slept most of the day yesterday. I woke him this morning to give meds (which he hates and I feel like he hates seeing me coming now which breaks my heart) and he stayed up exploring for about an hour before I had to get a shower.
    I really wish there were more instructions for after care. Just like what is normal and what's for this period in recovery. I'm constantly a nervous wreck.
    Again, sorry for all the typos. The board is TINY on my phone and my phone is notorious for changing my Os to Is
    Hi Kalee:
    Thank you for your love and care Elliott! As far as typos; when compared to me, your are The Texter of the Year!

In regard to your concerns about Elliott's apparent nasal congestion; most likely there is some residual swelling to some degree from the procedure and while Elliott was given an "anti-inflammatory" medication (probably an NSAID like meloxicam; and these medications also helps decrease pain), they don't usually eliminate swelling, they decrease it somewhat. If you feel that you need more anti-inflammatory medication or that Elliott may benefit from a longer period of taking an anti-inflammatory medication, please discuss this with Dr. E before doing so. While these medications are relatively safe, they do have risks and the risks vs potential benefits should be discussed with Dr. E!

Cold can definitely affect the condition of the nasal passages as one of the functions of the nose is to warm and humidify the air that eventually enters the breathing passages and then the lungs. You mentioned that it is now quite cold where you are living. Most of us in this situation let the temperature inside our homes become somewhat lower than we would really like it to be! Elliott may be reacting to this with some increased nasal "bogginess" in order to help humidify and warm the now somewhat colder air going to his lungs. Also, colder air holds less moisture than warm air. I am not suggesting that you "break the bank" and turn up the heat for two reasons, one of course is economy but the other is that the increased heat from the furnace, while warmer, does not normally become further humidified and Elliott will likely be in kind of the same situation. My suggestion is to first discuss this with Dr. E if at all possible but I would also suggest trying a warm mist vaporizer (keep this out of direct reach to Elliott and the discharged water from the vaporizer is very hot! The advantages of a a warm mist vaporizer are that it will help do what Elliott's nose may be trying to do and that is warm and humidify his air and with these factors being made optimal before the air gets to Elliott's nose; his own nasal mucosa may start to shrink down a bit. Please use pure water and keep the vaporizer bowl and mechanism impeccably clean!

I really feel that Elliott's nasal edema (swelling), if this is really what is going on is relatively mild! This is based upon the fact that Squirrels and other rodents are what is termed Obligate Nose Breathers (as are infant human beings) and they do not easily go from breathing through their noses to breathing through their mouths (mouth breathing by a Squirrel is always an abnormal sign!) and in light of all that; Elliott's nose breathing is not particularly noisy, he is not in any respiratory distress, and he is not breathing through his mouth. BUT, just as with human infants, if there is any restriction in the nasal passages whatsoever, there will be some "noise" resulting from this. I really believe that Elliott is doing OK! At night, while Elliott is sleeping, both the rate of breathing and the flow of air into and out of his nasal passages are decreased from that when he is awake and active and it for these reasons I believe you are not hearing the noise when he is sacked out!

You are certainly being very attentive and that is great but I want to assure you that you are really are doing a splendid job of caring for Elliott and it really sounds as if Elliott is doing quite well also! Please do try to call Dr. E's office for their recommendations and reassurances and I hope some peaceful rest can come your way very soon!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Kalee (01-21-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    My boo ball recipe which requires no baking and does not require precise measurements is:

2 cups rodent block like Harlan Teklad 2014 or 2018 ground to a powder (Ninja blender or similar)
    1/2 to 1 cup ground nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans)
    Baby food
    Avocado or melted coconut oil
    Powdered FV 20/50, if you have it

Grind the block and nuts and add to a large bowl. Mix with hands to break up the nut clumps. Add FV, if using, and mix. Add a variety of veggie/fruit baby foods or applesauce and oil (s) till the mixture holds together but isn’t sticky. The oils are what helps you achieve this. Once that consistency is reached then just roll into small 1/2” balls and store in the refrigerator in a covered container.

You can experiment with the baby foods flavors until you find one that’s agreeable. Adding some fruit ones with banana helps it be a little sweeter. There’s a baby food variety that is apple, kale and avocado that I like to use. The recipe can be doubled, tripled, quadrupled, etc.

There’s no way to mess this recipe up. Add your liquid ingredients a little at a time so it isn’t too sticky. If it is too sticky, grind a few blocks and add it to make it less sticky. ��
    I will definitely try your recipe. Will henrys blocks work or do I need the Teklad? And is that free feed or a certain quantity needed to meet nutritional needs?

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Kalee:
    Thank you for your love and care Elliott! As far as typos; when compared to me, your are The Texter of the Year!

In regard to your concerns about Elliott's apparent nasal congestion; most likely there is some residual swelling to some degree from the procedure and while Elliott was given an "anti-inflammatory" medication (probably an NSAID like meloxicam; and these medications also helps decrease pain), they don't usually eliminate swelling, they decrease it somewhat. If you feel that you need more anti-inflammatory medication or that Elliott may benefit from a longer period of taking an anti-inflammatory medication, please discuss this with Dr. E before doing so. While these medications are relatively safe, they do have risks and the risks vs potential benefits should be discussed with Dr. E!

Cold can definitely affect the condition of the nasal passages as one of the functions of the nose is to warm and humidify the air that eventually enters the breathing passages and then the lungs. You mentioned that it is now quite cold where you are living. Most of us in this situation let the temperature inside our homes become somewhat lower than we would really like it to be! Elliott may be reacting to this with some increased nasal "bogginess" in order to help humidify and warm the now somewhat colder air going to his lungs. Also, colder air holds less moisture than warm air. I am not suggesting that you "break the bank" and turn up the heat for two reasons, one of course is economy but the other is that the increased heat from the furnace, while warmer, does not normally become further humidified and Elliott will likely be in kind of the same situation. My suggestion is to first discuss this with Dr. E if at all possible but I would also suggest trying a warm mist vaporizer (keep this out of direct reach to Elliott and the discharged water from the vaporizer is very hot! The advantages of a a warm mist vaporizer are that it will help do what Elliott's nose may be trying to do and that is warm and humidify his air and with these factors being made optimal before the air gets to Elliott's nose; his own nasal mucosa may start to shrink down a bit. Please use pure water and keep the vaporizer bowl and mechanism impeccably clean!

I really feel that Elliott's nasal edema (swelling), if this is really what is going on is relatively mild! This is based upon the fact that Squirrels and other rodents are what is termed Obligate Nose Breathers (as are infant human beings) and they do not easily go from breathing through their noses to breathing through their mouths (mouth breathing by a Squirrel is always an abnormal sign!) and in light of all that; Elliott's nose breathing is not particularly noisy, he is not in any respiratory distress, and he is not breathing through his mouth. BUT, just as with human infants, if there is any restriction in the nasal passages whatsoever, there will be some "noise" resulting from this. I really believe that Elliott is doing OK! At night, while Elliott is sleeping, both the rate of breathing and the flow of air into and out of his nasal passages are decreased from that when he is awake and active and it for these reasons I believe you are not hearing the noise when he is sacked out!

You are certainly being very attentive and that is great but I want to assure you that you are really are doing a splendid job of caring for Elliott and it really sounds as if Elliott is doing quite well also! Please do try to call Dr. E's office for their recommendations and reassurances and I hope some peaceful rest can come your way very soon!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thank You so much. You guys put me so much at ease. I mentioned trying the hand held humidifier because I saw thumbelinas mama using it. I'm assuming since it comes with a nose mask it's not hot. Do you guys think this would be ok? I would definitely check with Dr. E before giving any additional meds for sure.
    Happy squirrel appreciation day yall 🥰🐿💕

Thank You so much. You guys put me so much at ease. I mentioned trying the hand held humidifier because I saw thumbelinas mama using it. I'm assuming since it comes with a nose mask it's not hot. Do you guys think this would be ok? I would definitely check with Dr. E before giving any additional meds for sure.
    Happy squirrel appreciation day yall 🥰🐿💕
    H Kalee:
    I have not used any of the handheld vaporizers for animals because of the logistics of effectively utilizing them in that particular setting. I have used both warm mist (basically steam) and cool mist humidifiers/vaporizers. There are potential advantages of each and some concerns for each as well.

Cool mist vaporizers as suggested by their name, do not warm the air so if humidification is the only issue, these are fine for that. One of the particular concerns for that type vaporizer but is really a concern of any of the humidifiers is that all parts of the machine should be thoroughly cleaned daily and disinfected with appropriate cleaners also on a regular basis. Definitive instructions accompany all of the units! I would also recommend using demineralized water. Cool mist vaporizers can potentially help decrease edematous (swollen) nasal passages in part by the "coolness" of the air and will of course also help with humidification of the air.

A warm mist or steam humidifier/vaporizer may be a better choice for Elliott as it will help humidify AND also warm the air that he is breathing. Along with that on the advantage side of the choice between warm and cool types is that the "traditional" warm, steam type vaporizer is usually less costly than the cool mist variety.

I use a warm mist vaporizer with new arrival cold Squirrels (especially babies as they are incapable of regulating and maintaining their body temperature) as part of the rewarming process (which must occur before any attempts are made to orally rehydrate or feed them) because while external warming is important and usually gets the job done, being able to provide additional humidified, warm air for the Squirrel to breath helps in warming from the inside or at best, helps prevent further loss of heat and body water through breathing.

If you were planning to utilize a vaporizer/humidifier, my suggestion would be to opt for a basic steam type vaporizer and do NOT utilize any "medication" with it such as Vicks or whatever because this is not the time to risk an allergic response or a sensitivity reaction to what may be an irritant to Elliott. Again, please check with Dr. E.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Others here on TSB may have experiece utilizing handheld vapirizers with their Squirrels and I would very much welcome their comments!
    Regards,
    StS

Did you get a hand held nebulizer? The type that is used for asthma? I have used this type nebulizer with my dwarf Joey when he had congestion under Dr. E’s recommendation. I was instructed to use medication that she prescribed for him. I have also used the nebulizer without medication and with saline when I had babies that had upper respiratory infections. The warm steam should help loosen any phlegm. You should check with Dr. E or Nicole in the morning and verify that it’s ok, considering Elliot’s surgery. She might have you get some type of over the counter product to use on him.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast