Thread: New Squirrel Owner Nutrition Questions

Default New Squirrel Owner Nutrition Questions

I have been raising a baby eastern grey squirrel for about 6 weeks now. I just wanted to get some recommendations on squirrel/rodent block to feed when he is old enough. According to the squirrelrefuge.org Forti-Diet Pro Health Rodent Block is the best option to feed. Is there a better rodent block than this, or is Henry’s Healthy Squirrel Blocks a better option? Also when he gets to the age that I am supposed to offer solid/free food, do I also offer water as well even know he will still be on formula?

Default Re: New Squirrel Owner Nutrition Questions

Alfalfa is a listed ingredient; and though appropriate for ground rodents diets including that of rats according to examples of rat diets used in laboratory research; it isn't a source that should be included in the diet of tree squirrels.

Corn and soy are also common ingredients of rodent feeds; yet yet research has found that negative side effects may become permanent if some ingredient forms are continued past puberty. Corn gluten has been found to dampen the thirst sensors in the intestines of rats, thus lowering water consumption. Personally, I don't like any source that contains, 'glutens', which are common to most ground grains sources, yet not to the diet of tree squirrels in wild habitats.

Recently, a research study tested rodent feeds from around the World for the level of contaminants that they contain. Of all those tested, each one contained one or more of the following common contaminants: (heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides, and GMOs which are pesticide like compounds found to promote cancers in rodents) at levels that exceeded the industry safety standards for rodent feeds. And though not all agree whether these levels will result in damage in rodents; yet concern over the need to reduce these toxins in foods common to animals and humans was related.

Henry's is the best diet to my understanding; it contains no corn or soy. The homemade diet recipe from Henry's which contains nuts and whey protein; wheat (gluten source) is listed as optional to include.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Alfalfa is a listed ingredient; and though appropriate for ground rodents diets including that of rats according to examples of rat diets used in laboratory research; it isn't a source that should be included in the diet of tree squirrels.

Corn and soy are also common ingredients of rodent feeds; yet yet research has found that negative side effects may become permanent if some ingredient forms are continued past puberty. Corn gluten has been found to dampen the thirst sensors in the intestines of rats, thus lowering water consumption. Personally, I don't like any source that contains, 'glutens', which are common to most ground grains sources, yet not to the diet of tree squirrels in wild habitats.

Recently, a research study tested rodent feeds from around the World for the level of contaminants that they contain. Of all those tested, each one contained one or more of the following common contaminants: (heavy metals, pesticides and herbicides, and GMOs which are pesticide like compounds found to promote cancers in rodents) at levels that exceeded the industry safety standards for rodent feeds. And though not all agree whether these levels will result in damage in rodents; yet concern over the need to reduce these toxins in foods common to animals and humans was related.

Henry's is the best diet to my understanding; it contains no corn or soy. The homemade diet recipe from Henry's which contains nuts and whey protein; wheat (gluten source) is listed as optional to include.
    Is there a specific one of the Henry’s blocks you would recommend? Should I opt out of getting it with the whey protein, if so do I need to supplement another form of protein? Also do I offer water along with the squirrel blocks or just blocks and formula till he is weaned?

There is the original, and other versions with hazelnut, pecans, etc.
    All of these contain the wheat protein source. There are allot of members that don't use anything else.
    That said, it is a personal choice all here respect the caregiver to make.

The homemade diet, which you make up yourself, is what I was referring to in regards to wheat being noted as optional to include.

Here is a link to a page with the Homemade Diet Recipe.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...77#post1238177

I find that my guys like the hazelnut best, followed by walnut and then picky blocks. An average 1-1.5 lb squirrel would consume 2 per day, larger animals like fix squirrels should have 3. They are a food and supplement at the same time.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Diggie's Friend (10-20-2023)