Thread: I need help

Default I need help

I have a 7 month old squirrel that we have raised since he was 3 weeks old. He weighs 1.179 lbs. We have been letting him go outside in the afternoons and he comes home at dusk. This has been going on for a week. He came home last night, ate, and went straight to bed. He wasn't up at 6:30, as usual. He was still in his nest at 9 am. When my husband got him out, he was favoring his front right paw, holding it w/his left. He has been cuddled up on my chest all day. He cries every time I touch any part of his upper body which is completely swollen. As I was massaging his hind quarters, I noticed his little ball sack is swollen and black. He hasn't eaten all day and only had a few sips of water. I'm assuming maybe he fell out of a tree, but I don't know. Can anyone help me? I don't know what to do to help my little Peanut. I live in Missouri so a vet is out of the question. No one will see him.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: I need help

The testicles are perfectly normal - that is what they do this time of year, and it happens quickly. The will get bigger. The body swelling is not.

The first thing is to deal with the pain he is in. Go to the drug store or walmart and get a bottle of Infant IBUPROPHEN. Brand name is Infant Motrin, but feel free to get a store brand. Don't go hunting for "no dye" or "sugar free" - the cherry and grape flavors are actually tasty to most of them and it makes giving it to them a LOT easier. I will send you the dosing amount by PM. The spacing of doses is every 4 to 6 hours - start at the 4 hour dose to get control of the pain quickly. You will need a 1cc syringe to dose this - hopefully you have some left over from raising him.

Keep him indoors for now, and keep him nice and warm. The ibuprophen is very effective for these guys - I wish it worked that well on me.

I would not let him go back outside until he is 100% better. Once the pain has been mitigated some you can hopefully check hm over a bit better to see if there are any bad injuries.

Poor little guy. The wild is a dangerous place.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Charley Chuckles (10-10-2023), Chirps (10-13-2023), SquirrelBait573 (10-10-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The testicles are perfectly normal - that is what they do this time of year, and it happens quickly. The will get bigger. The body swelling is not.

The first thing is to deal with the pain he is in. Go to the drug store or walmart and get a bottle of Infant IBUPROPHEN. Brand name is Infant Motrin, but feel free to get a store brand. Don't go hunting for "no dye" or "sugar free" - the cherry and grape flavors are actually tasty to most of them and it makes giving it to them a LOT easier. I will send you the dosing amount by PM. The spacing of doses is every 4 to 6 hours - start at the 4 hour dose to get control of the pain quickly. You will need a 1cc syringe to dose this - hopefully you have some left over from raising him.

Keep him indoors for now, and keep him nice and warm. The ibuprophen is very effective for these guys - I wish it worked that well on me.

I would not let him go back outside until he is 100% better. Once the pain has been mitigated some you can hopefully check hm over a bit better to see if there are any bad injuries.

Poor little guy. The wild is a dangerous place.
    Thank you so much!!!

Do you have an update on how your squirrel is doing?

Is he feeling any better? I hope the ibuprofen helped his pain! Poor baby.

MIS it swollen and hard or swollen and kinda squishy? (Like an abscess?)

Prayers for your little guy!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

Chirps (10-13-2023)