Thread: Missing fur

Default Missing fur

New here and have concerns over our furry friend. For the past 6 months he has had fur loss with occasional scratching. This all started when he inadvertently escaped out our doggie door while we were keeping him over the winter. He was beaten up pretty badly by the other squirrels outside, when he finally came back he was missing fur, was thin, and had bite marks all over. He is much better now, except for the missing fur is not better, 6 months laterName:  IMG_8632.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  60.2 KBName:  IMG_1129.jpg
Size:  110.8 KBName:  IMG_3759.jpg
Size:  138.1 KBName:  IMG_3758.jpg
Size:  115.5 KB. He receives a good diet, 3 Henry blocks and veggies daily. Took him to a vet and they did tests to say it was not mites or mange. They simply stated it was behavioral. They did not want to help any further. We have just started giving him omega and wheat germ oil, which he appears to love. I have rubbed him in coconut oil as well. Not really any change yet?

Default Re: Missing fur

I don’t think that hair loss is being self induced by barbering. I’m not sure how he would reach the side of his head with his teeth to barber the fur. If he was mine I’d treat him with a drop of kitten Revolution (selamectin). It requires a prescription from a vet or can be purchased online from Joes Pet Meds from Australia. The kitten formula is what you want and not the “plus” formula with added ingredients. This is dosed by one drop on the skin between the shoulder blades or can be given orally with one drop in the grooves of a pecan. It will treat for mites and other creepy crawlies and can be repeated in 30 days. It’s a very safe drug….much safer than ivermectin. It’s worth a try in my opinion.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

JLM27 (10-04-2023), Lucky (10-03-2023)