Thread: Cipro dosing help needed!

Exclamation Cipro dosing help needed!

My baby girl has blood in her pee. I suspect UTI. I can get ahold of Cipro 250mg tablets today. She's 190 grams and probably 5-6 weeks. Can someone please help with the dosage?

Default Re: Cipro dosing help needed!

I sent you dosing so you have it in case you need it. Are you just seeing reddish/pinkish color in the pee? How long has this been going one? Lots of foods will cause pee anomalies. Are there other symptoms? Signs of pain or discomfort? Lethargy, not eating, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I sent you dosing so you have it in case you need it. Are you just seeing reddish/pinkish color in the pee? How long has this been going one? Lots of foods will cause pee anomalies. Are there other symptoms? Signs of pain or discomfort? Lethargy, not eating, etc?
    She's been growing leaps and bounds since we got her 10 days ago. She has slept constantly since she first arrived, but at night she gets super playful.
    She started having pale pink pee about 3 days ago, and this morning it's gotten worse... More dark pink.
    I've tried to take her to 4 different veteranarians in my area to get an antibiotic, but they all refused service because she's a squirrel, and 2 of them said they would euthanize her.
    I have fed her powdered Esbilac, and just yesteday started her on Fox Valley 32/40.

I'm picking up an rx for Cipro 250mg today, and ordered Baytril 2.5% online that will come later this week.
    I wasn't sure if it would be better to wait for Baytril or start her on a tiny dosage of Cipro today... Her pee is getting worse so I am concerned.
    I've given her 1 dose of 1/4tsp of D-Mannose mixed with Distilled water this morning.

Thank you so much for helping!

The Cipro and Baytril are virtually the same with the same action, so I would just use the Cipro. As you can probably tell from the directions, there is really nothing left to chance - the dose is calculated based on the weight of the baby.

I would NOT use the FV32/40. Ugh. So many people have had issues with it - usually with smaller babies than yours but she doesn't need digestive issues on top of everything else. The Fox Valley formula to get it 20/50. But there is no law saying you MUST transition at this moment. I would rather see her get the esbilac a little longer and then transition to the correct Fox Valley or even half esbilac/half FV20/50 as many end up doing.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Summerc25 (09-27-2023), Tashahaven (09-24-2023)

OH THANK YOU! This is just gold! I'll stop the Fox Valley right away and continue with the Esbilac for now.
    I'll administer the Cipro today, and keep you updated when her condition changes in the next few days.

This is SO helpful, thank you!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ShanPowers from:

Tashahaven (09-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The Cipro and Baytril are virtually the same with the same action, so I would just use the Cipro. As you can probably tell from the directions, there is really nothing left to chance - the dose is calculated based on the weight of the baby.

I would NOT use the FV32/40. Ugh. So many people have had issues with it - usually with smaller babies than yours but she doesn't need digestive issues on top of everything else. The Fox Valley formula to get it 20/50. But there is no law saying you MUST transition at this moment. I would rather see her get the esbilac a little longer and then transition to the correct Fox Valley or even half esbilac/half FV20/50 as many end up doing.

I just wanted to give you an update and say THANK YOU!
    My little girl is doing SO much better! Her pee is clearing up really well.
    She's got a couple more days on her antibiotics round, and the probiotics are helping as well.
    I went back to Esbilac for now and she's already gone from 184g to 201g in just 3 days.

Thank you again!

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ShanPowers from:

CritterMom (09-27-2023)