Thread: slowly but surely gaining weight

Default slowly but surely gaining weight

Found my little guy on 9/11 and weighed 60 grams, the first week he was up to 75, and the next week (today) hes up to 110g, is this a good average weight gain? im guessing he was about 4-5 weeks old when I found him, eyes open full of fur, but he quickly lost it and had to treat for mange. He current formula is esbilac, cream and a bit of nutrical. This last week im up to 7% of his weight every 4 hours. 💩 and pee is good, he definitely waits until hes out of his cage to go, which is great! Leaves for a nice clean cage.

Default Re: slowly but surely gaining weight

They open their eyes at 5 weeks pretty much to the day... so if he was eyes open and 60 grams when you found him he was certainly on the smaller side. Stress and struggles can cause them to open their eyes early. I consider my greys that are over 100grams minimum to be on track and healthy, but S. FL squirrels are going to be smaller (and I am sure some FL peeps will chime in). I have taken in plenty that were less than 100grams... some less than 50.. when their eyes open. I always boost their formula with Fox Valley UltraBoost to help them "catch" up... ultimately they are almost always healthy without deficits and able to be released successfully even if on the smaller size for my area.

The weight gain here is on track and hopefully with continue to accelerate!!!!
    Squirrel Advocate

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

didon1972 (09-23-2023), island rehabber (09-25-2023)

Yes, as Spanky said. Our Florida squirrels average about 350-375gr when full grown. One of my released pregnant girls weighed 428gr with 3 babies inside. Hopefully that’s helpful.

I also use Ultraboost with any babies I raise. It’s a Fox Valley product and can be purchased online at Henry’s Pets or the Fox Valley website.

Have you already purchased some rodent block? It will be the first solid food you want to give your little one. The tastiest rodent block is found at Henry’s Pets. The Picky eater or Hazelnut blocks are well liked.

yes I order some rodent block that I leave in his cage, but just nibbles on it every once in a while, I ordered the HHB for pixky eaters, that shoukd be here this week, I out a water bottle in his cage but not interested in drinking any water, I guess hes not familiar with how it works yet. Hes been eating good as was up to 130g today, im up about 9ccs of formula, Hopefully he likes the new blocks, I dont want to introduce him to veggies yet until he starts eating the blocks. I dont want him to get too picky. I also noticed hes not been sleeping on hea heating pad lately, its about 95 on the pad, Hes still only about 6-7 weeks old still. Do you usually cut back on formula when giving blocks? I dont want him to get dehydrated

Don’t cut back on formula….let him determine when he wants to begin weaning. Most will take formula till about 9 weeks old or longer. Some have even wanted formula when they’re placed in a release cage at 14 weeks and will drink it from a shallow bowl.

Yes, you want him to be eating the block really well before any veggies are offered. When you get the picky blocks store them in the freezer and take one or two out at a time and store in the fridge. Initially cut them in half to give to him so there’s less waste. You will have to police his cage periodically to remove any uneaten block as it will get hard and also grow mold.

When he consistently sleeps off of the heating pad that will be your cue that he no longer needs it. Is the temp set on low?

He’ll figure out the water bottle….eventually. Tap on the ball to be sure it’s operating correctly. I have water bottles in my trees and all the wilds….and even blue jays…..have learned how to drink from them.

His formula consumption is right on target at about 7% of his weight. As he grows he may want more than the 7%. It’s okay to let him have more, but do so gradually. I jot down feeding time and amounts so that I know how much was eaten and can offer an extra ml or so if the squirrel still seems hungry after a feeding.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

didon1972 (09-25-2023), island rehabber (09-25-2023)