Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Amputee with infection

Default Re: Amputee with infection

Quote Originally Posted by Shellysfriend View Post
    Hi Sam the Squirrel, it was unfortunately thick white puss, just like the last time. I got quite a bit out, not as much as a couple weeks ago but still quite a bit. I thought of it too late but with a sample they can do a test to determine which antibiotic is most effective. I got a tiny amount after I thought of it but Iím not sure it is enough.
    Hi Shellysfriend:
    I'm so sorry! This seems like further evidence indicating that this wound needs to be surgically debrided, irrigated and then closed (if at all possible) with only healthy tissue remaining.

Only a very little drainage is needed to perform the two common tests utilized in evaluating the infection so most likely, there will be enough drainage available tomorrow when Irrel will hopefully be seen by the Vet for evaluation and to obtain a specimen of the drainage to send to the lab.

There are two commonly utilized tests with wound drainage, one being a Gram Stain and the other a Culture and Sensitivity (C & S). They are used in the same context but for different purposes. A gram Stain can be done in an office if the practitioner has a microscope and the means to prepare the specimen by Gram Staining for observation under a microscope. The purposes of the Gram Strain are among others; to see if there are any bacteria or fungus present in the specimen and to get an idea as what these might be. As far as bacteria goes, a clinician can get an idea from the Gram Stain as what the bacteria may be and also an idea as to what might constitute a reasonable initial antibiotic but that is all but they can be beneficial for guiding initial therapy. Gram stains that can be done at the point of service are often very beneficial in guiding initial treatment as they take only a short while to perform.

In order to actually identify what the actual bacteria are that are present in the drainage and what antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive to; a C & S is utilized. This test is done in a specialized laboratory and the specimen will need to be transported there. Usually, a Gram Stain is also done at that time as well and that can be made available within an hour or less. A C & S is where the bacteria are actually grown out on a special plate and usually requires a minimum of 24 hours just to see if any any bacteria are growing and then 48- 72 hours or sometimes more to be able to identify the bacteria and determine what antibiotics the bacteria are sensitive to (those that are likely to kill the bacteria).

Please keep on with the updates!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  70.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  65.4 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.7 KBName:  IMG_0810.jpg
Size:  106.0 KB
    Irrel says hi everyone. He had his vet appointment today. He was put under to take X-rays. They started with an injection and then did use isoflorane. They did open up and clean what was there and take a sample for culture however they said there wasnít much there. They want a better sample if it does blow up again. This was surprising to me because I drained it last Thursday night and again on Saturday night it had already swelled to the point it was about to burst so I helped it so it didnít rupture in his cage or nest. They said the muscle tissue had made a decent pad for the bone. The thought right now is to leave it be, wait for the culture and or a better sample and reculture then, and see if it can be handled with antibiotics matching the infection. The X-rays it sounds as if they will be shared with a special species department, which they have been conversing with about the anesthesia and medication to use already. The plus to me since they admittedly donít work on these guys much is that they are willing to stop and ask. Irrel was pretty luped up when we got home. They had gave him pain medication since they were digging in the wound. He couldnít walk right or sit up right for a while. After a long nap he still had problems when heíd jump to me he wouldnít stick. I thought he just didnít have full operation of his claws yet. Now tonight he still has problems so I just looked closer and very unfortunately I think the vet did me a favor and trimmed his claws. If anyone is ever thinking of this please donít! This is dangerous, he thinks he can still jump and he can, and he does, but he doesnít stick. Which then he slips and either lands hard or at the least risks reinjureing his leg. Had I known I would have asked them not to. Although my neck appreciates it those little claws need to hurry up and grow!
    So now itís the wait and see game again. Anyway Irrel wanted me to pass on the update and let you know he sends his love!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shellysfriend from:

Chirps (10-13-2023)

You're right; they need their claws to climb. Their claws reach into their outer ears when they get an itch or get a bug up in there.

Scratching with their claws during their fur molt, which goes on for much of the year, makes the process bearable.

As for chewing on a wound that is healing; a homemade cone can be made for a squirrel which prevents them doing this.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ng-an-E-Collar

Name:  3.jpg
Size:  70.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  65.4 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  81.7 KBName:  IMG_0810.jpg
Size:  106.0 KB
    Irrel says hi everyone. He had his vet appointment today. He was put under to take X-rays. They started with an injection and then did use isoflorane. They did open up and clean what was there and take a sample for culture however they said there wasnít much there. They want a better sample if it does blow up again. This was surprising to me because I drained it last Thursday night and again on Saturday night it had already swelled to the point it was about to burst so I helped it so it didnít rupture in his cage or nest. They said the muscle tissue had made a decent pad for the bone. The thought right now is to leave it be, wait for the culture and or a better sample and reculture then, and see if it can be handled with antibiotics matching the infection. The X-rays it sounds as if they will be shared with a special species department, which they have been conversing with about the anesthesia and medication to use already. The plus to me since they admittedly donít work on these guys much is that they are willing to stop and ask. Irrel was pretty luped up when we got home. They had gave him pain medication since they were digging in the wound. He couldnít walk right or sit up right for a while. After a long nap he still had problems when heíd jump to me he wouldnít stick. I thought he just didnít have full operation of his claws yet. Now tonight he still has problems so I just looked closer and very unfortunately I think the vet did me a favor and trimmed his claws. If anyone is ever thinking of this please donít! This is dangerous, he thinks he can still jump and he can, and he does, but he doesnít stick. Which then he slips and either lands hard or at the least risks reinjureing his leg. Had I known I would have asked them not to. Although my neck appreciates it those little claws need to hurry up and grow!
    So now itís the wait and see game again. Anyway Irrel wanted me to pass on the update and let you know he sends his love!
    Thanks for the update and for posting the x-ray films, Shellysfriend! I'm glad that the Vet is being so thorough with the obtaining this x-ray study, culturing the wound site and also for referring Irrel's case to a "special species department!"

It's too bad that they clipped Irrel's claws but probably this is one thing that they did not really "think over" because most likely, their practice consist of the usual canine and feline Veterinary patients and when a dog arrives, a Vet's usual good customer service is to trim a dog's claws if that is needed free of charge! That same nice bit of canine care is not so good for Squirrels! As this Vet is obviously willing to see Squirrels and also seems to be very conscientious as well as interested in the particular care of little Irrel; may I suggest that you inform the Vet that you appreciate their excellent customer service and care of Irrel but you simply want to point out that trimming a Squirrel's claws can potentially result in injury to the Squirrel because they instinctively rely on their claws being sharp and they can slip from an object they jumped to or climbed up on and become injured! I'm sure that this Vet would appreciate knowing this and that knowledge would also help prevent the same problems you and Irrel are facing with the after-effects of clipping his claws from occurring with another Squirrel!

Again, please keep on with the updates and tell he is loved from near and far away!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Diggie's Friend (10-18-2023)

Name:  IMG_0846.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  87.9 KBHi all, Irrel is doing well. The vet called last week with the results from the culture and did prescribe Baytril. He mixed it with pina colada mix but Irrel still doesnít seem to appreciate it. Itís a pretty good fight to get him to take it. There has not been any sign of infection though. It Iím happy to say his claws are fairly sharp again so heís got traction again. This week he has tapered way off in formula consumption but is eating his blocks, veggies and water.

Name:  IMG_0846.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  87.9 KBHi all, Irrel is doing well. The vet called last week with the results from the culture and did prescribe Baytril. He mixed it with pina colada mix but Irrel still doesn’t seem to appreciate it. It’s a pretty good fight to get him to take it. There has not been any sign of infection though. It I’m happy to say his claws are fairly sharp again so he’s got traction again. This week he has tapered way off in formula consumption but is eating his blocks, veggies and water.
    Hi Shellysfriend:
    Thanks you so much for the update on Irrel! Did you ever hear back from the "Special Species Department?" What are the plans for the injured extremity beyond treatment with Baytril?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Shellysfriend:
    Thanks you so much for the update on Irrel! Did you ever hear back from the "Special Species Department?" What are the plans for the injured extremity beyond treatment with Baytril?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    May I suggest using grenadine instead of the pina colada mix? Still in the booze section - it is a syrup made from pomegranates, though most of what they sell has just artificial flavoring, which is just fine. It is what colors and flavors Cosmopolitans. It is very strongly flavored and it is a flavor they like.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Shellysfriend (10-26-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Shellysfriend:
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Hi Sam the Squirrel
    The ďSpecial Species DepartmentĒ is who the vet has been referring with since they donít see many squirrels. They worked with them for the anesthesia and discussed the X-rays and possible treatment options. Right now, the plan is still to let it heal on its own, treating with antibiotics geared toward the type of infection he had. Only if we need to will more bone be taken.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    May I suggest using grenadine instead of the pina colada mix? Still in the booze section - it is a syrup made from pomegranates, though most of what they sell has just artificial flavoring, which is just fine. It is what colors and flavors Cosmopolitans. It is very strongly flavored and it is a flavor they like.
    Thanks Crittermom, I will give that a shot! Iím not sure if the flavor is what he doesnít like or if itís that heís being told to eat it! Either way itís a struggle.

Hi Sam the Squirrel
    The ďSpecial Species DepartmentĒ is who the vet has been referring with since they donít see many squirrels. They worked with them for the anesthesia and discussed the X-rays and possible treatment options. Right now, the plan is still to let it heal on its own, treating with antibiotics geared toward the type of infection he had. Only if we need to will more bone be taken.
    Sounds like a very good plan! Please say hello to Irrel for me and please keep on with the updates!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Name:  IMG_0895.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  98.4 KBIrrel says hello all! He finished his antibiotics 11/1. So far all seems well. Heís now just over 18 weeks old. He got as big as 769 grams but has tapered back to the 750ís. I thought we were about done with formula a couple weeks ago, he was pretty much refusing it at times. Now heís back up to 30mlís both morning and evening. His claws have been getting horribly sharp and now heís got the weight behind them so boy do they dig! I tried the sandpaper ramp in his cage but he just tends to jump wherever he wants to go so I started placing it vertical outside the cage and ďdraggingĒ him down it. He doesnít care for that but it helps. Heís still very active and seems healthy.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shellysfriend from:

Diggie's Friend (11-12-2023)

I love it....a big buffed fox boy. I'm really happy for you! Thank you for caring for him.

SSG

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to supersquirrelgirl:

Diggie's Friend (11-13-2023), Shellysfriend (11-12-2023)

Irrel says hello all! He finished his antibiotics 11/1. So far all seems well. Heís now just over 18 weeks old. He got as big as 769 grams but has tapered back to the 750ís. I thought we were about done with formula a couple weeks ago, he was pretty much refusing it at times. Now heís back up to 30mlís both morning and evening. His claws have been getting horribly sharp and now heís got the weight behind them so boy do they dig! I tried the sandpaper ramp in his cage but he just tends to jump wherever he wants to go so I started placing it vertical outside the cage and ďdraggingĒ him down it. He doesnít care for that but it helps. Heís still very active and seems healthy.
    Hello Irrel! I'm glad you are doing well! Thanks for your love and care of little Irrel, Shellysfriend! It's not that unusual for a Squirrel to go back to drinking formula if the Squirrel is given the opportunity to do so after it appears that weaning has occurred. I'm glad that you are facilitating, Shellysfriend as formula is good for him and probably comforting as well!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Shellysfriend (11-13-2023)

Name:  IMG_0981.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  105.1 KBIrrel says Happy Holidays everyone! Heís still slowly healing. Weíre treating the wound twice a day yet. He doesnít really get any nuts so it seems he decided to grow some of his own! Fur growth on his leg and bottom/back of those nuts seems very slow. The end of his nub leg I can understand but down the side of his leg thereís been a patch missing since probably September. It may be that heís licking or plucking at that area more than I see him do. Heís eating his homemade Henry blocks, probably about 4 on average and occasionally some of the Mazuri and some of his vegetables, a few berries or some apple. He still likes his formula morning and evening and takes anywhere from 4 to 18 ml usually at each. His heaviest weight was in the 760ís and he dropped to the 730ís after we pretty well gave him the run of his room full time unless Iím home which then he pretty well gets the whole house. Now heís back up into the 740ís. He made his first alternate nest on top of his cage in his carrier and has ďcampedĒ there a couple times. Heís super sweet with me and is a joy to keep out of mischief! He got his first Christmas tree but so far prefers the curtains! I did have to resort to very light nail trimming because those claws are murder. He loves to dangle from his hind legs off my arm and fight/wrestle the dad tree. Again happy holidays to all and a special thank you to the helpers here!

I was just thinking about you - I am so glad that he is doing well and it sounds as though the training regimen he is putting you through is working, and you are well on your way to being an acceptable human. Amazing what a little tripod squirrel can do when he puts his mind to it!

Happy Holidays to all of you!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Shellysfriend (12-25-2023)

Name:  IMG_1100.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  74.2 KBHi everyone, ďRubber of the IrrelĒ here with an update. Heís now about 890 grams and 8 months old. He about gave up formula again but has decided that heís still a big baby so he better keep drinking it! He averages about 20-25 ml a day. His leg never quite fully healed but is close. A few weeks ago he injured his back leg on the same side. Iím not sure but I suspect he snagged his claws on something. When I found him he had retreated to his nest and when I approached he came out and went belly up in my arm and stayed there. So instead of having free range of his room during the day heís been on lockdown in his double critter nation with escape time every morning and evening. I have plans and some supplies for a larger cage, freeing his up for some rehabs possibly. Heís doing quite a bit better with the back leg now, Iíd say itís 80% maybe. Heís definitely a one human squirrel, but super lovey with me. Every morning he crawls from his nest box into my shirt for a heated bath and rubs. Every night after I rub his fur off before bed, he demands rubs in his nest box. If I stop to soon he will come back out and let me know that I wasnít done!

Hi Shellysfriend and Irrel:
    Thanks for the update! You two are so fortunate to have each other! Irrel is smiling in that photo!

I'm glad Irrel is doing well overall and that his new injury seems to on the mend! With the thought that you suspect Irrel may have gotten a claw snagged on something; a common cause of this is placing towels on the floor of the cage or hanging within the cage that made from terrycloth or the like where there are uncut and relatively large loops of the fabric which tend to catch a claw or even tighten over a toe and restrict its blood flow! If you might be using terrycloth or towels made from similar materials, I would suggest replacing these with Flannel or Fleece towels which will not tend to catch claws or possess loops that may wrap around a toe!
    Please keep on with the updates!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Shellysfriend (03-03-2024)

Hi STS! No terrycloth here. I hadnít trimmed his claws in a quite a while. For whatever reason they hadnít bothered lately. He was getting along fine and I really wasnít getting tore up much. But I have noticed lately he is getting snagged more. The same shirts Iíve always worn with him, jeans, even his cat tree sometimes. I even noticed it with his fleece on the homemade tree in the picture. In light of this I trimmed the tips on the freshly injured back leg to keep him from injuring it further and plan on spacing trimming out on the other two paws as to not do them all at the same time and have a repeat of the vet incident. You are definitely correct that Iím lucky to have him with me. Whoíd a thunk a 2 pound three legged fox squirrel could carry a 160 pound guy through life. He is an amazing gift!

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shellysfriend from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (03-03-2024)

Is Irrel eating a rodent block? I know you said that youíre still giving some formula, which is great. When I hear of snagging toenails I worry about MBD, which can affect the movement of their hind legs. Make sure there arenít any type of bedding materials that he can snag his toenails on.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Black Squirrel (03-07-2024), Shellysfriend (03-08-2024)

In addition to the formula use Teklad 2018 blocks on demand (Small Furry Pet Supply, Amazon) as a base diet. Supplement with Henry's Healthy Blocks plus foods off Henry's diet chart. Teklad blocks are versatile and can be made into "Boo Balls" for picky eaters or ground up and syringe fed like Critical Care.

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Black Squirrel from:

Shellysfriend (03-08-2024)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast