Thread: Help with young squirrel

Default Help with young squirrel

Looking for help around Dallas for a small squirrel.

Found last night on the ground.

I've tried everything and it still won't drink water or formula. And they're dehydrated.

I have left it in a warm dark quiet place for hours. I have tried to express it, but I think it's older than that. Has teeth, eyes closed, 3-4 weeks?

Still nothing.

It's very lively and squeaks loudly. But it won't accept anything.

Tried finding momma to no avail.

Honestly I don't have the time to care for it myself.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jhunterf from:

Hilbillygirl (09-04-2023)

Default Re: Help with young squirrel

Correction: water/sugar/salt solution not water

First, read this - it is 6 pages long but excellent info: https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Ignore the formula info in the link above. What formula exactly are you trying to feed him now?

You need to first warm the baby - they cannot generate their own heat at eyes closed. He needs to be in a smallish plastic container with a bunch of fleece or t-shirts, with the container sitting on a heating pad set on low. You need the type of heating pad that stays on all the time - many shut off automatically at 3 hours.

Once fully warmed, he needs to be hydrated. Can you tell us what sugar/salt/water solution you were feeding? Are you heating it for him. Everything you feed him needs to be at 105-110 F, including water.

Hydration may take a while - it doesn't happen in an hour or two. Don't feed until they are hydrated. They can't digest it until they are hydrated so it will just sit in the stomach and ferment and cause all sorts of terrible issues.

Once hydrated, begin feeding. Again, the formula, which should be Esbilac Powdered Puppy Formula available online, at big chains like Petco, and Tractor Supply, needs to be fed WARM, with a 1ml syringe without the needle and preferably eventually with a nipple on it. Bottles, eyedroppers, all will likely cause him to aspirate, so you have to fins a 1ml syringe somewhere.

Potty manually before and after feeding and don't expect to start seeing anything as far as poops until he has been eating for a day or two.

Thanks for the advice. I spent hours reseraching last night and read that article and others already.

I found the water solution on this forum: 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 quart water. Reduced the portion way down.

Esbilac or goat milk formula was not available at local stores. So I bought the formula they had. Doesn't matter, it won't drink it yet.

Alas, I reiterate: I do not have the time (or extra funds) to take care of this orphan. And it doesn't have the time for me to wait.

Sweet thing would've been a goner in the Texas heat today, but I am also not capable of providing for it.

I am specifically looking for a local rehabber. The ones I have contacted have ignored me. Dallas local.

I want this baby to live a long life, but it unfortunately will not in my care. I am just a stepping stone.

Got it. Continue to care for him - it is a holiday and so many people are away.

Try bundling him up in something soft - a t-shirt, bit of blanket, etc, and leave a flap that you can flip over his face so he feels like he is completely covered and enclosed, like his nest was. Warm the hydration fluid up, draw it into whatever you are using for a syringe, and offer it under the blanket to him. Hopefully this will work - often it is just sheer terror that is holding them back.

Update:

Found a rehabber! Sweet thing is safe.

Thanks again for your help

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jhunterf from:

Spanky (09-04-2023)