Thread: Possible aspiration pneumonia

Exclamation Possible aspiration pneumonia

I noticed a couple days ago the baby would click while breathing for a few minutes but then stop for a while. They is eating fine still and wanting to crawl and move around but I'm worried this could be developing into aspiration pneumonia. Thank you for the help!!

I believe it is a male grey squirrel approximately 4 weeks old. Has lower teeth and ears open and been blinking with slitted eyes and fur everywhere. I have scheduled with a vet for Thursday for a check up as was soonest I could get him in. He is on fox valley and eats roughly 4ml every 4 hours as was recommended by vet.

Backstory : Rescued about 2 weeks ago. Had seen it fall out of nest and waited for mom to get but she didn't come for first 10 min so put in open box with t-shirt and warm water bottle. She came about an hour later but the neighbors dog attacked her as she was making a beeline for the box. Sadly she passed so I took the baby in. First time raising a baby squirrel but I have experience with baby bunnies and opossums.

Default Re: Possible aspiration pneumonia

Im so sorry to hear about the momma squirrel. How sad!

im happy you potentially have a vet appointment, but I URGE you to be EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS…make sure you have vetted this vet thoroughly. Plenty of rehabbers and/or vets will claim they want to help, but once they get their hands on the squirrel, will seize it, and potentially euthanize it. So please be CAREFUL. Make sure you have asked a laundry list of qualifying questions, and are 100% comfortable with the answers!

I see you said you are feeding 4ml/every few hours. But you should be getting an ACCURATE weight of the squirrel once a day in grams, preferably in the morning BEFORE the first feeding. Then each day, you use that weight to determine how much formula to offer during EACH feeding. Feeding based on a generalized age or anything else, is not very helpful, and could lead to other problems as it’s an inconsistent means of determining calorie requirements, or the body’s ability to process and properly absorb required nutrients. Diarrhea, constipation, bloat and dehydration are some of the issues caused by over or under feeding. Which is WHY it is so highly recommended to feed based on weight. An unhealthy 5 week old may be the same size as a very healthy 3 week old.

IF the clicking is only intermittent, and/or most pronounced before or after feeding, that is normal clicking and not cause for concern.

it’s the persistent clicking, EVERYTIME they breathe, even/especially when sleeping, where you should worry. That doesn’t seem to be the problem. Which is definitely a plus!

Please clarify WHAT you are currently feeding, what temp, how it is prepared, and WHAT you are feeding WITH. As well as their temperature, if they are hydrated, being stimulated etc.

Hopefully you have thoroughly read the 6 page article on Henry’s website on how to care for baby squirrels. Let us know if you haven’t, or need us to provide a link to it just in case.

Can’t wait to see some photos

Reply to Tashahaven :

I meant to say 5ml as they weigh 82g. They were barely 40g when I found it but they already had the short hair forming so I assumed roughly 2-3 wks of age. I have read various sites including Henry's. I like theirs the best though. I understand it should be taking roughly 6 ml but slowly working up that as I'm trying to get it take more a feed. I got it to take 5.5ml at last feed.

I am feeding fox valley 20/50 every few hours with a 1 cc o ring with miracle nipple thats very warm but not hot, I don't know how to properly measure their temp but they are warm to touch, I stimulate before and after as that's what seems to work for best for this one, it is half on a heating pad on low no shut off in a Critter container with a old t-shirt, their skin doesn't stay tented and pee is clear so I don't think their dehydrated.

I hope that answers everything.

Thank you about the vet. What questions should I ask to make sure that doesn't happen? I didn't even think about that. It was just the only exotic vet by me that would even see a squirrel but on their site they show various wildlife so I figured it was okay.

Fitst photo is when i got it july 28, second is now Aug 8

Name:  received_230884089383100.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  58.6 KBName:  20230808_000037.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  229.4 KB

Baby looks pretty good to me. If you put up a pic where we can see "the equipment" we can sex for you - girls look sort of like boys until you know what you are looking for - then there is NO making a mistake. When I was led to my very first baby squirrel, a horribly dehydrated little starving scrap, the finder asked me "What is it?" My response was: "A BOY!"

The lesser amount of food it is taking may be due to the food. The Fox Valley 20/50 is a VERY robust food that would normally be started at just about the age he is now. It is thick and rich and stays in the system longer than the normal starting formula. When people transition, they often are alarmed because the baby suddenly doesn't want to eat as frequently because of this. Don't change - there is weight gain, normal poops - everything you are looking for. Just keep giving small amounts more as you continue feeding until baby is where it should be food wise. Here is a tip: if eating slows down before the full amount has been consumed, warm the formula up more. They like it surprisingly warm - much warmer than their mama could ever provide unless she had a sky high fever at the time.

The scale is just pretty much mandatory. If anything happens and it requires meds, we would need the weight to help you with that, and it is really important in making sure they are consuming enough food and gaining weight as they should be. You can get a digital scale like this one from Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...2&from=/search You want one that measures in grams/kilograms as well as ounces/pounds (this one does) and has a "tare" function - if you can't keep the baby on the scale (give it 2 weeks and you will see what I mean) you can place a container on the scale, then "zero" it out and pop the baby in the container. The scale will then show only the weight of the baby, NOT the baby and the container.

BTW, clicking is NOT the first symptom of aspiration pneumonia. The first is sudden lethargy - noticeable even when they don't do much more than eat and sleep - and very important, a sudden massive drop in food consumption. Lethargy and not eating are your FIRST clues and that is when you jump!