Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what should i feed my 18 gram squirrels

Default Re: what should i feed my 18 gram squirrels

He pooped. I took them off the 32/40 yesterday and gave them the esbilac with half part heavy whipping cream. They all started to poop solid but 2 had trouble passing it. So i mixed the esbilac with a half part more water than normal. Until they can pass it a little easier. What do you think?

That will be fine, but don't keep them on overly diluted formula for extended period... half strength formula is half the nutrients!

This is probably a dumb question but how soon after i give hydration fluid can i give formula

You typically want to give fluids halfway between formula feedings. So for example if you are feeding every 4 hours, give hydration at the 2 hour mark. If every 5 hours; hydration at 2.5 hours.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

Mark (08-01-2023)

Also now that you are off the 32/40… are you feeding esbilac? Or 50:50 esbilac and 20/50?

Either way I would hold off on the heavy cream for now. Just mix the powder 2:1 and remain consistent in feeding schedule and amounts. Hopefully they will adjust and things will even out for them. If they remain underweight AFTER adjusting, and pooping, peeing, eating adequately, with no other issues, then maybe adding cream at that time. But for now, less is more. Meaning changing as little as possible. Not only are they very sensitive to changes in formula, but there’s no way to distinguish what may be causing an issue for them if multiple things change at the same time or too close together.

Im doing the 50/50 . The squirrels now range between 27 and 34 grams. I found multiple charts as to how much to feed them. Some say 1 to 2 ccs and others say up to 5ccs. Any suggestions?

The correct answer, the only answer, is 5% - 7% of body weight per feeding.

I am attaching a cheat sheet...

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  63.7 KB
    SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

Ok ive been feeding them 2 cc's every 3 hours. I have 3 or 4 of them that have diaria. What could be the cause? The formula is good. Should i go back to every 2 hours? Add heavy cream? Or?

Clarify a couple things for us please:

1. What is the exact formula you are now feeding them?

2. Are you preparing the formula in advance and letting it sit in the fridge? Mixing gently not shaking?

3. 2:1? Correct?

4. How are you heating the formula? And are you throwing away any formula that has been heated but not used?

5. are these babies kept thoroughly warm in the enclosure and while feeding as best as possible?

6. is the powdered formula kept in the freezer?

7. *important* when are you weighing them? This should be done each morning BEFORE feeding anything to get the most accurate weights.

8. How often are you offering formula? And are you making sure the milk line has gone down before giving more?

I have them in a plastic container with a couple t shirts on a heating pad half off so the can move away. All formula is kept in freezer mixing 2 scoops esbilac 2 scoops fv 20/50 and 8 scoops bottled water. I bring the water to a boil let it sit for 5 minutes before i add the water. Then i mix it until all the lumps are gone then put it in the refrigerator at around 9 pm and i use it starting 4 am then i mix again let sit for 10 min. Get the syringe filled then i fill a cup up with water brewed through a coffee maker i then put the cup on a cup warmer i put the filled syringes in the cup. I only heat the formula in the syringes then put the formula back in the refrigerator and do the feeding. There is 8 of them so after i feed 2 i replace the hot water with new hot water to ensure the formula stays warm while feeding. Then i clean and stimulate them. They were pooping normal and then after the 930 feeding a couple of them had very watery diaria. What are your thoughts?

Be careful about not using too hot of water to mix the formula... I see you are boiling it. If the water it too hot the probiotics will be killed, and they help to prevent the tummy issues.

Edit: Removed the original Google info.... I think that was too low so I looked more. Seems (after more research) like temps above 135 F is when the probiotics start dying off. Makes more sense to me since my water heater is 130 F and I use the hottest tap water to mix mine...

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Mark (08-02-2023), Tashahaven (08-02-2023)

Ok i seem to be on the right track. My only concern is i dont think im feeding enough. They are between 30 and 35 grams. Ive been giving 2 cc's and it doesn't seem to be enough. All of their bottom teeth are coming in and a couple are starting to open their eyes. Just for a second. I found them on the 20th and had no sign of umbilical stump so had to be atleast 10 days. So im thinking they have to be 4 weeks. Should i let them eat more than 2 cc's? How detrimental is giving more than 7%body weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ok i seem to be on the right track. My only concern is i dont think im feeding enough. They are between 30 and 35 grams. Ive been giving 2 cc's and it doesn't seem to be enough. All of their bottom teeth are coming in and a couple are starting to open their eyes. Just for a second. I found them on the 20th and had no sign of umbilical stump so had to be atleast 10 days. So im thinking they have to be 4 weeks. Should i let them eat more than 2 cc's? How detrimental is giving more than 7%body weight?
    As they get older many do tend to start eating more than the 7%. At 4 weeks plus, you would be okay to let them eat a bit more... but go up slowly. If the stools loosen or get whitish, back off the amount.

Are they all over the bouts of diarrhea?

It is detrimental to feed younger babies... especially the first 3 weeks or so... too much.

Awsome. The diarrhea seems to have past. Most have yellow grain like poop but a few have soft but whole poop. Not watery like it was. I think it was because i was using hot water to mix the formula. I weighed them this morning and they all weigh between 35 and 41 grams

Goods news... okay, now time for "steady as she goes" for the next few weeks and months!

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Tashahaven (08-04-2023)

Now their eyes are open and running around their plastic container like they know what they are doing. My next step is building them an enclosure. Any idea what would be suitable? Should i keep them indoors until i ween them? What can i do to make their release as smooth as posible?

Ok i have an issue with one of the girls. Her poop dark yellow with chunks and a little watery. Any ideas?
    Is it ok to feed them until they start pooping or am i giving to much when that happens? 7 of the 8 have solid yellow grain like poop some a little darker which im assuming is good?

Ok i have an issue with one of the girls. Her poop dark yellow with chunks and a little watery. Any ideas?
    Is it ok to feed them until they start pooping or am i giving to much when that happens? 7 of the 8 have solid yellow grain like poop some a little darker which im assuming is good?

Can you post a picture of the poops? I know it is gross, but paints the picture better than words can! Post what looks both good and bad to you. And please confirm what formula you are currently using... e.g plain FV 20/50, Esbilac.. .a mix.. is anything added (cream, yogurt, other).

I have a pic of it but for some reason i cant post from my phone so i have to use the computer it will be a little while but i message you when i get it up. Im using the 2 part esbilac 2part 20/50 8 parts warm filtered water at 120 degrees. I haven't been putting anything else i make it at around 10pm at thier last feeding of the night and put it in the fridge until 430 am at the next feeding. I was trying to find a milk line but with their white bellies its almost impossible to see. What kind of schedule do you think i should be keeping?

I have a pic of it but for some reason i cant post from my phone so i have to use the computer it will be a little while but i message you when i get it up. Im using the 2 part esbilac 2part 20/50 8 parts warm filtered water at 120 degrees. I haven't been putting anything else i make it at around 10pm at thier last feeding of the night and put it in the fridge until 430 am at the next feeding. I was trying to find a milk line but with their white bellies its almost impossible to see. What kind of schedule do you think i should be keeping?
    Thanks for confirming the formula mix...

I feed 4 weeks olds every 4 hours around the clock. Once their eyes open, I increase to about every 4.5hours and go 6 hours overnight (assuming healthy babies, otherwise I continue overnight feedings). Sometime between 6 - 7 weeks they are eating every 5 hours and go 7 hours overnight.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast