Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Please Help!

Default Re: Please Help!

Just an update on Gia, we made it to Florida despite the crazy storms all the way. She just got in for her appointment. We will wait for a call. Thank you so much everyone for your help.❤️ Now just going to pray for my little princess to come out well of this. 🙏

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Olly&Gia:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-17-2023), Spanky (06-16-2023)

Update on Gia, her surgery went well yesterday she was prescribed 4 different types of medications and a nasal drop in case there was any breathing congestion. When we got to the hotel room she was already making a little noise when breathing at around 10 pm she went out of bed and was almost hyperventilating loud. We took her out the cage and gave her the Nasal drops. That helped then at around 12 she started hyperventilating again so we took her to the emergency hospital, just about getting her in we noticed her breathing was better and waited there for an hour. We drove back to the hotel room. Later at around 3 am she got really bad again (see video in link) we took her back to the hospital and she was admitted right away and been in oxygen support since then till tomorrow morning she we will get her to be seen by Dr. Emerson. We were recommended to buy her a nasal spray if there was any sound of congestion. We got her that and gave to her it helped but only for about a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly&Gia View Post
    Update on Gia, her surgery went well yesterday she was prescribed 4 different types of medications and a nasal drop in case there was any breathing congestion. When we got to the hotel room she was already making a little noise when breathing at around 10 pm she went out of bed and was almost hyperventilating loud. We took her out the cage and gave her the Nasal drops. That helped then at around 12 she started hyperventilating again so we took her to the emergency hospital, just about getting her in we noticed her breathing was better and waited there for an hour. We drove back to the hotel room. Later at around 3 am she got really bad again (see video in link) we took her back to the hospital and she was admitted right away and been in oxygen support since then till tomorrow morning she we will get her to be seen by Dr. Emerson. We were recommended to buy her a nasal spray if there was any sound of congestion. We got her that and gave to her it helped but only for about a couple of hours.
    I'm so sorry Gia's breathing problems but hopefully this will be quick to resolve issue in Gia's recovery! I'm so very glad that there was an ER available for you and that Gia was admitted. I suspect that this is not a true setback and only a transient problem. I believe that what is being seen with Gia's changes in breathing is secondary to the fact that Squirrels are what are called Obligate Nose Breathers as are human infants and quite a number of animal species. What this means is that Obligate Nose Breathers normally breath only through their noses and they cannot simply go to breathing through their mouths as we adult humans can. We could easily, even though there would ordinarily be no reason to do so, alternate each breath through the nose and then through the mouth. Obligate nose breathers have great difficulty transitioning to breathing through their mouths although they can do this if necessary but it always appears that they are struggling. A human infant with nasal obstruction or swelling exhibit similar difficulty breathing through their mouths. I believe that is what is happening with Gia and that her nasal passages are obstructed after the surgery and Dr. E will be able to help with this tomorrow morning! I do not believe that Gia's apparent difficulty breathing is due to any lung problems but again, this is my opinion only and a definitive diagnosis and treatment plan will depend upon evaluation ASAP by Dr. E. Thanks for posting the video and thanks for your love of little Gia!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

CritterMom (06-18-2023)

Thank you Sam,
    What you said makes sense. We been talking about her situation all day and wondering what’s causing her breathing problem. She was like in the video then soon as we got her in the car to the ER she began breathing normal again. So strange, second time it happened I had to record her so they didn’t think we were crazy! Hopefully, Dr. E can tell us what’s really going on.

The tooth accident was probably a good thing it happened because they found 2 odontomas! They removed one and she’s schedule to have second surgery Monday. Not sure if this will be possible because we’re are starting the drive back to Texas tomorrow Monday after they see her. It has been extremely stressful situation, we don’t want to lose her.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Olly&Gia from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-18-2023)

Good morning Olly&Gia:
    I hope Gia is doing better and that she will be seen soon by Dr. E! Please keep us updated!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Good morning Olly&Gia:
    I hope Gia is doing better and that she will be seen soon by Dr. E! Please keep us updated!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Good morning,

She went in earlier this morning, we’re waiting to hear back from them. I’m concern about her diet and hydration. Not sure if she ate well at the ER hospital, they said she had a peanut. I never feed her peanuts; she doesn’t like them. She must have been really hungry. Just hope everything goes well and we can get her back home soon.

We’re back on road. Gia had mucus buildup that was causing her the breathing problem. Soon as we got on road gave her watermelon and bit of soft boo ball with her calcium. She ate that. Now she’s sleeping ��❤️

We will be back in a couple of weeks or so for her second surgery. In the meantime she will continue her antibiotics.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Olly&Gia from:

CritterMom (06-19-2023)

We’re back on road. Gia had mucus buildup that was causing her the breathing problem. Soon as we got on road gave her watermelon and bit of soft boo ball with her calcium. She ate that. Now she’s sleeping ��❤️

We will be back in a couple of weeks or so for her second surgery. In the meantime she will continue her antibiotics.
    That's great news! I'm glad it was was only a nasal obstruction as I strongly suspected and also that it was mucus rather than dried blood can be far more difficult to remove than mucus which can oftentimes be removed with just gentle suction! But regardless, Gia is apparently breathing normally again, has an appetite, and is resting comfortably! Good job y'all and good job Dr. E! Please say hello to Gia for me when she wakes up!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Olly&Gia (06-21-2023)

That's great news! I'm glad it was only a nasal obstruction as I strongly suspected and also that it was mucus rather than dried blood can be far more difficult to remove than mucus which can oftentimes be removed with just gentle suction! But regardless, Gia is apparently breathing normally again, has an appetite, and is resting comfortably! Good job y'all and good job Dr. E! Please say hello to Gia for me when she wakes up!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Yes! It was a big relief for us. Dr. E did a wonderful and fast job. We would've liked to personally say thank you but understand her busy schedule. We are now back home and settled after a long drive for the past 2 days. Gia ate, she is happy to be back home. her breathing sounds normal now. She wants to go outside but I'm not letting her yet. Thank you for all your knowledge it has really helped in her recovery.

Greetings back to you from Gia and family!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Olly&Gia from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-21-2023)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to give her medicine? We are really struggling. I tried to wrap her in a towel but she fights and bites. Her breathing becomes so fast that I have to let her calm down. As I said before, she is not tamed. After she weaned off of her formula when she was a baby she didn't want to be handled so, I left it at that since we were planning to release her. She likes to climb us and eat sitting on my shoulder.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to give her medicine? We are really struggling. I tried to wrap her in a towel but she fights and bites. Her breathing becomes so fast that I have to let her calm down. As I said before, she is not tamed. After she weaned off of her formula when she was a baby she didn't want to be handled so, I left it at that since we were planning to release her. She likes to climb us and eat sitting on my shoulder.
    I have found the best way to give meds fast and with as little drama as possible is to use my bed for help. I have fairly stout gloves but not so much so that I can't maneuver. Put squirrel on bed, drop folded towel over him, and bend down over him (approach from behind him) using your hands and forearms to basically mash him down against the bed to hole him in place, while grabbing the syringe, sticking it the side of the mouth, shoot, and stand up and back away. I have a memory foam topper on my old mattress and it is nice and soft so it envelopes the bottom of the body and means you can hold them down fairly easily. Leaning over from behind him allows you a perfect shot at the side of the mouth. Have everything ready and you can get it done in just a few seconds.

If the dose is small and the taste isn't awful, you could *maybe* hide it in food. What is she getting - my guess is amoxicillin clavulanate and meloxicam? What size is the dose of them?

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Olly&Gia (06-21-2023), Stevelisa (06-21-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I have found the best way to give meds fast and with as little drama as possible is to use my bed for help. I have fairly stout gloves but not so much so that I can't maneuver. Put squirrel on bed, drop folded towel over him, and bend down over him (approach from behind him) using your hands and forearms to basically mash him down against the bed to hole him in place, while grabbing the syringe, sticking it the side of the mouth, shoot, and stand up and back away. I have a memory foam topper on my old mattress and it is nice and soft so it envelopes the bottom of the body and means you can hold them down fairly easily. Leaning over from behind him allows you a perfect shot at the side of the mouth. Have everything ready and you can get it done in just a few seconds.

If the dose is small and the taste isn't awful, you could *maybe* hide it in food. What is she getting - my guess is amoxicillin clavulanate and meloxicam? What size is the dose of them?
    I can try that. Not sure how would work for the drops in the nostrils while facing down. She's taking ciprofloxacin ophthalmic topical antibiotic drops for nose and stent, metacam for inflammation, buprenorphine for pain, clavamox oral antibiotic. There are different dose numbers on all these.

I managed to give her the Clavamox and a drop on the stent. Got a few scratches but, at least she got something. Will try again when my husband gets back from work this evening. I need to give her formula too. She ate some fruit this morning and a few small pieces of pecan. She rejects everything else and just slept all day.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Olly&Gia from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-23-2023)

I know what a struggle it is to give meds to an untamed squirrel. Here’s what I’ve done in the past. First, having the squirrel confined to a small space makes it easiest. I use a small birdcage when I have convalescing squirrels. It has a large door in the middle, but it also has two small lifting wire doors meant for feeding. I use the two small doors, one for each hand, with Kevlar gloves on my hands and a piece of fleece and trap the squirrel with the blanket and then hold it with its mouth along the edge of the wire while my husband squirts the medicine in its mouth. I have had to treat different squirrels for multiple weeks at a time and this has worked well for me.

Best of luck!

24. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (06-23-2023), island rehabber (06-27-2023), Olly&Gia (06-23-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-22-2023)

Thank you for all responses. My husband grabs her firmly in her bed when she goes to sleep with gloves and I give her the meds fast. This seems to be only thing working for now. She’s eating like normal again. Her Henry’s block, fruit and veggies. Gets a small piece of walnut after her meds.

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Olly&Gia:

CritterMom (06-23-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (06-23-2023)

Hi Y'all:
    How is Gia doing?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Hi Y'all:
    How is Gia doing?
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Hi 👋 Sam,

Thank you for checking on Gia, she is doing ok. The stent hole looks completely healed up. I noticed her tail is always down, almost dragging and occasionally the milky tear in her eye. Other than that she’s active in the mornings and eating normal. We’re planning the trip back to Florida soon so she can get her second odontoma removed. For now she’s still getting her antibiotics daily.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Olly&Gia from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-07-2023)

Aw. Are you giving her probiotics? If not, I would start doing so. My guess is that the antibiotic she is on is Clavamox and the amoxicillin component of that med can be pretty nasty to the stomach. She may just feel a little "bleah" because of it.

Give probiotics as far from the antibiotic as you can, i.e., if giving meds morning and evening, try to give the probiotics at noonish. Give them daily. I take them myself - I started BECAUSE of the squirrels - and use those - just a tiny pinch between your fingers is plenty and the powder inside the capsules is sort of bland/sweet so it will hide in and on anything.

31. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Olly&Gia (07-07-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-07-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Aw. Are you giving her probiotics? If not, I would start doing so. My guess is that the antibiotic she is on is Clavamox and the amoxicillin component of that med can be pretty nasty to the stomach. She may just feel a little "bleah" because of it.

Give probiotics as far from the antibiotic as you can, i.e., if giving meds morning and evening, try to give the probiotics at noonish. Give them daily. I take them myself - I started BECAUSE of the squirrels - and use those - just a tiny pinch between your fingers is plenty and the powder inside the capsules is sort of bland/sweet so it will hide in and on anything.
    I can get them. What kind and brand you recommend?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast